Check your account email address ×

2025 Catalyst Demo Tour

On 2/18/2024 at 4:37 AM, mnstang said:

Impressions?

First of all, on that track, the corners are so tight that the 129 make a huge difference over the 137.  On most trails, I probably wouldn't notice.  I also may not've noticed if I had to wait in line to ride again.  However, on the first ride of the day, our "guide" stopped mid-session and let us swap sleds.  I went from a 137 to a 129 on the track.  The 129 was a big improvement in the handling department on that track. 

Never saw another group stop on the track to switch sleds, and there were only 6 of us in the first group.  There were a couple groups of dealers who got to go before us, then they officially let the public ride after that.  The groomer came out in between and I never saw them groom the track after I left about 1. 

ERX was making snow on their long straight and the shorter straights felt really short, especially with the 858.  It seemed like as soon as I was on the gas, I had to hit the brakes.  Not ideal for stretching the legs of a new big bore, but still a great opportunity to ride it, and only the second time all season that I've ridden a Catalyst (with the first ride being my own 137 ZR 600 IFP).

The 858 idles much smoother than the outgoing 800, and low speed was also much better.  My 21 Riot is a bit ornery at speeds below 25 or so - it just doesn't like it.  The ADAPT clutch helped quite a bit, but there's still something about that engine.  The 858 had none of that - very smooth and linear power delivery.  I rode an 850 Assault once, and the 858 is similar (from what I can remember, that was several years ago).  

There wasn't a chance to get more than a crack at the throttle, so I really don't know much more about the power delivery.  The engine harmonics felt like a big bore, I'm not sure I can describe it more than that.  It's not silky smooth like the Thundercat, it's obviously a twin.  Sound is very reassuring - like a big-bore version of the 600 Catalyst. 

I think the ergos and seating position of the Catalyst have been covered well, and I've said a lot about it since last spring.  However, it was just plain fun to get aggressive on that track.  It seemed like the tighter turns really emphasized the strengths of the Catalyst.

Hope that helps.  I'm still working on my overall impressions to add that to all of the video footage I have.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, p51mstg said:

First of all, on that track, the corners are so tight that the 129 make a huge difference over the 137.  On most trails, I probably wouldn't notice.  I also may not've noticed if I had to wait in line to ride again.  However, on the first ride of the day, our "guide" stopped mid-session and let us swap sleds.  I went from a 137 to a 129 on the track.  The 129 was a big improvement in the handling department on that track. 

Never saw another group stop on the track to switch sleds, and there were only 6 of us in the first group.  There were a couple groups of dealers who got to go before us, then they officially let the public ride after that.  The groomer came out in between and I never saw them groom the track after I left about 1. 

ERX was making snow on their long straight and the shorter straights felt really short, especially with the 858.  It seemed like as soon as I was on the gas, I had to hit the brakes.  Not ideal for stretching the legs of a new big bore, but still a great opportunity to ride it, and only the second time all season that I've ridden a Catalyst (with the first ride being my own 137 ZR 600 IFP).

The 858 idles much smoother than the outgoing 800, and low speed was also much better.  My 21 Riot is a bit ornery at speeds below 25 or so - it just doesn't like it.  The ADAPT clutch helped quite a bit, but there's still something about that engine.  The 858 had none of that - very smooth and linear power delivery.  I rode an 850 Assault once, and the 858 is similar (from what I can remember, that was several years ago).  

There wasn't a chance to get more than a crack at the throttle, so I really don't know much more about the power delivery.  The engine harmonics felt like a big bore, I'm not sure I can describe it more than that.  It's not silky smooth like the Thundercat, it's obviously a twin.  Sound is very reassuring - like a big-bore version of the 600 Catalyst. 

I think the ergos and seating position of the Catalyst have been covered well, and I've said a lot about it since last spring.  However, it was just plain fun to get aggressive on that track.  It seemed like the tighter turns really emphasized the strengths of the Catalyst.

Hope that helps.  I'm still working on my overall impressions to add that to all of the video footage I have.

It's cool you got to ride it.  I thought about going but I'm not buying anything and had other things to do (blown up sled motor).  I finally rode my catalyst this weekend, I'm not sure I'd want the 858, I am pretty impressed with the motor in that sled and not sure if I really need more, I like to use all the power and I'm not sure if the 858 will be necessary for me.  I at least feel better about the 600 catalyst now, I was getting a little fomo with this 858.  I'm sure it is a lot when you're on the gas!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 9:52 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

for those who can't read black font on a black screen....

2025 Models

Arctic Cat Demo Schedule

United States

ERX Motor Park

Elk River, MN

Feb 17-18, 2024

10:00am-5:00pm

World Championship Derby Complex

Eagle River, WI

Feb 23-25, 2024

Island Park

Macks Inn, ID

Feb 24, 2024

Sioux Empire Fairgrounds

Sioux Falls, SD

March 1-2, 2024

Old Forge Sno Fest

Old Forge, NY

March 1-2, 2024

10:00am-4:00pm

Snow King Mountain

Jackson Hole, WY

March 21-24, 2024

Canada

1695 Rue St Maurice 

Trois-Rivières, QC

March 16, 2024

Jolly Roger 

Parry Sound, Canada

March 23, 2024

8:00am-5:00pm

TBD

Revelstoke, Canada

March 30, 2024

Lakeview Gimli Resort

Winnipeg, MB

March 30 – April 1, 2024

TBD

Valemount, Canada

April 6, 2024

Well shit, found out today they moved the Island Park demo ride to West Yellowstone. So now its 2 hours away....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jerr2Star said:

Well shit, found out today they moved the Island Park demo ride to West Yellowstone. So now its 2 hours away....

I envy anyone that can attend that demo - might be the best place on earth this year to ride the new 858's, all models.

On the other hand, I kinda wish Cat could keep the schedule they set - moving venues confuses everyone.

Edited by p51mstg

11 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I envy anyone that can attend that demo - might be the best place on earth this year to ride the new 858's, all models.

On the other hand, I kinda wish Cat could keep the schedule they set - moving venues confuses everyone.

With this years winter? How could they? Had a buddy at the ERX last weekend. He was in the first group with you. I could have gone, but was worried about no snow.

12 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

Yes, in Island Park you could ride your sled to the demo (was supposed to be at a warming hut) then afterwards venture of on a ride, but being in Montana I would have to drive there (likely without my trailer) then drive back to Idaho for a short ride before going home.

35 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

With this years winter? How could they? Had a buddy at the ERX last weekend. He was in the first group with you. I could have gone, but was worried about no snow.

Yes, it's hard to keep track of events when they keep changing - even this winter.

The first group was definitely the best.  We had the chance to socialize a little while we waited for the groomer.  Our "guide" also gave us a chance to switch sleds at the half-way point, something I didn't see during any other group.  I'm glad I went as early as I did, even though it meant getting up at zero-dark-thirty to get there.

33 minutes ago, Jerr2Star said:

Yes, in Island Park you could ride your sled to the demo (was supposed to be at a warming hut) then afterwards venture of on a ride, but being in Montana I would have to drive there (likely without my trailer) then drive back to Idaho for a short ride before going home.

You should go anyway.  There won't be another opportunity for a member of the public to be able to stretch the legs on an 858 this spring.  Anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZR6000RR said:

no bash zone. My bad

Edited by jonlafon1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Yes, it's hard to keep track of events when they keep changing - even this winter.

The first group was definitely the best.  We had the chance to socialize a little while we waited for the groomer.  Our "guide" also gave us a chance to switch sleds at the half-way point, something I didn't see during any other group.  I'm glad I went as early as I did, even though it meant getting up at zero-dark-thirty to get there.

You should go anyway.  There won't be another opportunity for a member of the public to be able to stretch the legs on an 858 this spring.  Anywhere.

Were you guys just doing laps in the snocross track area or did they have a layout made elsewhere?

43 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Were you guys just doing laps in the snocross track area or did they have a layout made elsewhere?

Just laps.  They took 6-7 riders at a time and gave us 10 laps.

I didn't realize they have a snow cross track at the Eagle River WCDC (until today), and that's probably where the demos next weekend will be. 

Edited by p51mstg
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, p51mstg said:

I didn't realize they have a snow cross track at the Eagle River WCDC (until today), and that's probably where the demos next weekend will be. 

I should go... but probably won't 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Anybody go to Eagle River?

Arctic Cat posted on the 'book that the rides had turned into a display.  Not long after that, WCDC replied to that saying the demos were still on.  What tf actually happened?????  Curiosity was almost powerful enough to convince me to drive over there and find out for myself.

We could see more of this for the next few weekends, depending on how much snow North America gets in the next 7-10 days.  There are a couple of storms on the horizon that may give us a second chance, we'll see.

Anybody go to the West Yellowstone demo?

On 2/26/2024 at 8:07 AM, p51mstg said:

Anybody go to Eagle River?

Arctic Cat posted on the 'book that the rides had turned into a display.  Not long after that, WCDC replied to that saying the demos were still on.  What tf actually happened?????  Curiosity was almost powerful enough to convince me to drive over there and find out for myself.

We could see more of this for the next few weekends, depending on how much snow North America gets in the next 7-10 days.  There are a couple of storms on the horizon that may give us a second chance, we'll see.

Anybody go to the West Yellowstone demo?

Here's two small posts about it on Snowest from two guys whom attended. 

Screenshot_20240227_095759_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_095819_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Jerr2Star
Spell check
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Thanks, @Jerr2Star - it sounds like the West Yellowstone demo was a success, then.

I have my fingers crossed for the rest of the demos!

Arctic Cat Demo Day at ERX - February 17, 2024

RIDING THE BRAND NEW CATALYST 858!!!

Would have been neat to attend but the only ride I could make with my brother had me driving the opposite direction to Georgetown, ID. 

• Like 1