Check your account email address ×

Portage woman’s deer is one for the records

• Platinum Contributing Member

Poulin shot a 238-pound seven-point buck in the pouring rain shortly after legal hunting time in the morning, using the 30-06 rifle that was a birthday gift from her husband Jason three years ago.

bad.webp

• Like 1

This one came through and set off my camera in PA yesterday morning.... Looks pretty good size.... Not a hunter but looks like a pretty good spread on that rack. Points?

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/480125E46F52A571_202311

11 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

This one came through and set off my camera in PA yesterday morning.... Looks pretty good size.... Not a hunter but looks like a pretty good spread on that rack. Points?

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/480125E46F52A571_202311

Decent rack on him but not a big deer body wise. The older bucks will have a sway back and "pot belly" and a huge neck this time of year.

Nice deer though :bc:

4 minutes ago, HSR said:

Decent rack on him but not a big deer body wise. The older bucks will have a sway back and "pot belly" and a huge neck this time of year.

Nice deer though :bc:

Yeah......most prolly get hit by cars around there before they get very old......just like here in Jersey with road kills almost every mile this time of year.  In fact I have fewer Foxes showing up for their nightly snacks right now due to the plentiful supply of venison. They will strip a deer down to skeletal remains over night.:lmao:

I think that the record in NH is in the 280 lb range. My old business partner had the record back in the late 70s or early 80s. It may have been just for that year, I don't recall. I think his was somewhere in the 230s.

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Here's a link to a local deer checking station in northern NH. Lots of guys from Vermont hunting in Pittsburg. Yes I spelled it right, there's no g on the end in Pittsburg, NH, lol

https://www.facebook.com/firstlakegeneralstorenh?mibextid=ZbWKwL

dont you mean no h ?

i did notice first lake general checking a lot of vt hunters

9 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

dont you mean no h ?

i did notice first lake general checking a lot of vt hunters

Yes, no h, lol.

Yes, Pittsburg has a lot of VT hunters chasing large bucks. According to my neighbors the deer are larger up there for some reason. They hunted there a few times, but prefer to hunt in their home town and area in southern VT. They are from Guilford, VT and usually tag out with 2 deer each, 3 if they get a doe permit. Then they jump the border and hunt in MA. I think Paul said that they could get 2 each in MA.

It works for me as they are always very generous with their venison. And unlike commercial butchers, they remove all of the silver skin when they cut it up themselves and it's delicious.

From what we can gather, the heaviest whitetail ever shot was killed by a bow-hunter, John Annett of Ontario, in 1977. The deer field dressed 431 pounds on government-certified scales. That would have given it an estimated live weight of more than 540 pounds.

3 hours ago, ckf said:

Yes, no h, lol.

Yes, Pittsburg has a lot of VT hunters chasing large bucks. According to my neighbors the deer are larger up there for some reason. They hunted there a few times, but prefer to hunt in their home town and area in southern VT. They are from Guilford, VT and usually tag out with 2 deer each, 3 if they get a doe permit. Then they jump the border and hunt in MA. I think Paul said that they could get 2 each in MA.

It works for me as they are always very generous with their venison. And unlike commercial butchers, they remove all of the silver skin when they cut it up themselves and it's delicious.

There are not a lot of deer in the burg. Areas with less deer , they tend to grow bigger . I havnt even been out yet. Supposed to go to maine next week. Both myself and my SIL boyfriend have doe permits for the area their camp is in. 

• Like 1