Check your account email address ×

Bring Back 2 Stroke Dirt Bikes

14 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Used to see a few Maicos at the track in Pepperell ma 

You could hear em coming 

Joe Collins used to wheel those Maicos like a boss.  I had a buddy who bought a 76(?) AW490, and let me take if for some laps.  I swear within 2 laps I was going faster and in more control than I had ever gone on a motocross bike.  That thing was amazing.  Turned like no other, and pioneered the leading axle front end.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shifty said:

Maico’s were only seen in magazines back then in northern NH. More rare than a husqvarna. My dream ride was an 84 husky wr400 back then. Mr brother had a can am qualifier 175 when I had my kdx. It was rare and cool. But the kawi was better at everything. We had one friend that would show up with the oddest bikes. Jawas, CZs. They were always “ barn finds”. 

There was a track up in Burnsville Mn that we used to spend time at. The exotics of the time would show up there in force. Huskys and Maicos were common place. I also got to ride my first trials bike up there. I remember it was a Bultaco Sherpa. I think it was 350cc. Super skinny, lightweight, wheelied unlike any other bike I’d ridden. Burnsville Sports Center was selling the European brands back then. 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 2

I had a 175 Kawasaki on/off road had a lot of fun with that , then got into observed trials and a couple of 350 Bultaco Sherpa’s, note, not my bikes shown. 2 strokes smell so nice…….IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.3ab637862a3b497bdb03bc9b57fa71ed.jpegIMG_3604.thumb.jpeg.00b5bec2f315693f6f42ea5816e38b8b.jpegIMG_3603.thumb.jpeg.7fd8243d3d8098b3a362a8eb79311d43.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sael said:

I had a 175 Kawasaki on/off road had a lot of fun with that , then got into observed trials and a couple of 350 Bultaco Sherpa’s, note, not my bikes shown. 2 strokes smell so nice…….IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.3ab637862a3b497bdb03bc9b57fa71ed.jpegIMG_3604.thumb.jpeg.00b5bec2f315693f6f42ea5816e38b8b.jpegIMG_3603.thumb.jpeg.7fd8243d3d8098b3a362a8eb79311d43.jpeg

Very nice!  My brother had a 125 version of that Kawasaki, with the rotary valves and the carb mounted sideways.  ripped it right off in a crash once case and carb, got it back together though.  That Bultaco is sweet.  :bc: 

Went through a lot of ds ts Suzukis years ago!used to build and work on grain bins and would find old dirt bikes laying in farmers buildings.buy them for about nothing get them running and run them into the ground.

sure wish I’d kept a few!!

put a lot of miles on one like this!!some great trails around me at one time!!

IMG_0816.jpeg

Edited by X2700

31 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Very nice!  My brother had a 125 version of that Kawasaki, with the rotary valves and the carb mounted sideways.  ripped it right off in a crash once case and carb, got it back together though.  That Bultaco is sweet.  :bc: 

I was doing a bad wheelie on the Kawasaki and fell off, that carb cover landed on the side of my foot. I didn’t break anything but was on crutches for 2 weeks. Good power from that rotary valve but it made for a wide case.

13 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Went through a lot of ds ts Suzukis years ago!used to build and work on grain bins and would find old dirt bikes laying in farmers buildings.buy them for about nothing get them running and run them into the ground.

sure wish I’d kept a few!!

put a lot of miles on one like this!!some great trails around me at one time!!

IMG_0816.jpeg

My first real motorcycle was a 73 TS 185:bc: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

My first bike was a kawi G4. It had a dual range transmission, 100cc motor, and that ridiculous rotary valve set up. They buried the carburetor down inside the crankcase. That bike is how a learned how to work on stuff. :lol: 

• Like 1