Check your account email address ×

But His Laptop….

Just now, f7ben said:

Yes , that project is on hold until I quit doing the equipment rentals in summer. Just way way too busy to pay for a slip and try to get the boat out. 

I sold my 15” mid section to a race team in Tennessee …Jaco’s marine. They are  building a modified Venom they splashed for racing. They look pretty incredible. 

CF96BBCD-C5F1-4D39-93F3-60EC8EEA81A7.jpeg

I have driven two of those one with a 280 and one with a 300x. Could be the best stream ever made. I have been to JACO they are the real deal I think they still hold a few bass boat speed records.

32 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I have driven two of those one with a 280 and one with a 300x. Could be the best stream ever made. I have been to JACO they are the real deal I think they still hold a few bass boat speed records.

I guess they made some pretty extensive bottom changes to it from the venom to what it is now. They call it the Raptor 

Edited by f7ben

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So @Carlos Danger and @f7ben what am I looking at here? I have been perusing the boats on Marketplace all Summer and this just caught my eye…also hsve seen some cool older Checkmates.

IMG_1826.thumb.png.60bb9c8d79a03dbce037d104e0ff25a3.pngIMG_1827.thumb.png.941e1c8058c196fc89a218536a9f11b6.png

Looks like a Vegas xt. Pretty clean looking mid 90s power a little steep on the $$$.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Carlos Danger said:

Did Jimmy get bit by the speed bug?

I go back and forth between go fasts like this to Center Consoles to something like a Pursuit Denali….sort of like how I am with sleds.😂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So @Carlos Danger and @f7ben what am I looking at here? I have been perusing the boats on Marketplace all Summer and this just caught my eye…also hsve seen some cool older Checkmates.

IMG_1826.thumb.png.60bb9c8d79a03dbce037d104e0ff25a3.pngIMG_1827.thumb.png.941e1c8058c196fc89a218536a9f11b6.png

That’s not even remotely close to a decent price on that. 1989 is a 2.4 Merc and while awesome little motors their value is minimal.  Unless that hull has had the core replaced you have to assume it needs it done. You literally have to assume every hydrostream prior to about 91 or so when some we built with composite materials will need its core replaced. You are looking at 5-10k for that job to be done by someone competent. I would not pay a dime more than $6500-7000 for that boat. That said they are just the most awesome boats ever. I love hydrostreams. 

You have to be very careful with checkmates as well , transoms are basically always soggy and they more often then not have waterlogged flotation foam.

Edited by f7ben
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That’s not even remotely close to a decent price on that. 1989 is a 2.4 Merc and while awesome little motors their value is minimal.  Unless that hull has had the core replaced you have to assume it needs it done. You literally have to assume every hydrostream prior to about 91 or so when some we built with composite materials will need its core replaced. You are looking at 5-10k for that job to be done by someone competent. I would not pay a dime more than $6500-7000 for that boat. That said they are just the most awesome boats ever. I love hydrostreams. 

You have to be very careful with checkmates as well , transoms are basically always soggy and they more often then not have waterlogged flotation foam.

I agree with Ben on this one nice looking boat but I don't see 15k. The engine is worth maybe 3k and the hull  it self is 5 to 7 if it is a super clean survivor.  Better boats for 15k.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

I agree with Ben on this one nice looking boat but I don't see 15k. The engine is worth maybe 3k and the hull  it self is 5 to 7 if it is a super clean survivor.  Better boats for 15k.

I watched a better looking Vegas than that with new core floor and transom sit unsold an entire summer two years ago with an asking price of 6k. I’d put that hull 5k absolute tops if it’s rigged nicely. You’re spot on with 3k for the motor. I didn’t realize how poorly the 2.4 value was vs the 2.5 until this year when I bought and sold several. It’s basically half of the equivalent 2.5

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I watched a better looking Vegas than that with new core floor and transom sit unsold an entire summer two years ago with an asking price of 6k. I’d put that hull 5k absolute tops if it’s rigged nicely. You’re spot on with 3k for the motor. I didn’t realize how poorly the 2.4 value was vs the 2.5 until this year when I bought and sold several. It’s basically half of the equivalent 2.5

Stock 2.4 not worth a ton they are 30 years old. 2.4 Bridgeport is a cult engine 5k gets you a power head of  a clean one. Not sell my two ever.

2 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Stock 2.4 not worth a ton they are 30 years old. 2.4 Bridgeport is a cult engine 5k gets you a power head of  a clean one. Not sell my two ever.

A guy in Michigan just sold a brand new mercury factory BP in original packaging for $3800. I was first to message and tried to get it for $3600. He sold in half hour later. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

A guy in Michigan just sold a brand new mercury factory BP in original packaging for $3800. I was first to message and tried to get it for $3600. He sold in half hour later. 

Yea depending weather we are talking efi or carb but he could have easily got 5k and still sold it in a half hour.

6 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Stock 2.5 200 is not that much more in value than the 2.4 but if you start talking Mercury racing engines the price gets steep. 93/ 94 Mercury racing 260 is a sought after motor. The 280 is big bucks and stock 300 drag unmolested is usually a bidding war.

Depends again , the 200 efi mercs are probably close to double the laser 2.4 in value. The FF block 200s even more so. The pricing has gotten stupid on a lot of stuff. Any of the hipo stuff is silly prices and sells in minutes. I sold a fresh 225 promax for $7900 in under 15 minutes a couple weeks back. I have another one now I’m getting ready to sell. 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Depends again , the 200 efi mercs are probably close to double the laser 2.4 in value. The FF block 200s even more so. The pricing has gotten stupid on a lot of stuff. Any of the hipo stuff is silly prices and sells in minutes. I sold a fresh 225 promax for $7900 in under 15 minutes a couple weeks back. I have another one now I’m getting ready to sell. 

The promax is a great engine especially if you are not a rebuild kind of guy.

4 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

The promax is a great engine especially if you are not a rebuild kind of guy.

They are awesome , current one is very clean. All fresh water and estimate less than 200 original hours. Comp all 128-130 and leakdown 4-5%. 

AA98EBF9-CD14-42E3-9E10-2DF6EB2607DE.png

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I look for hulls at this point. I have a semi clean Vking that needs rigging but what I really look for are Laser boats. This is a early Laser 380 Ray and in many ways it is my weapon of choice.

2011-09-05_18-58-34_784.jpg

How fast will that thing go? 

Just now, Rigid1 said:

How fast will that thing go? 

It does a real solid 85 mph. My last Vking would do a little over 100 mph. The thing is if I was running a three bouy turn race like we used to and the race was more than two laps the Laser would win. Drag race it would be Vking.

• Like 2

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

It does a real solid 85 mph. My last Vking would do a little over 100 mph. The thing is if I was running a three bouy turn race like we used to and the race was more than two laps the Laser would win. Drag race it would be Vking.

How scary was that, going those speeds in such a small boat ? 

• Thanks 1