Check your account email address ×

Is Corey Taylor of Slipknot one of the greatest performers\musicians ever

Rod

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

They played with the deftones and cannibal corpse along with a shit load of other bands. I think it was 2013 maybe? I’ve got a bunch of photos from that festival. I remember it was the end of may 

7 hours ago, akvanden said:

Gotcha - would have been early 2000s when I would have seen them there. 

I saw Slipknot at Summerset in 1999 or 2000 at a show called Tattoo the Earth. They were with Sevendust and Slayer. We were 19-20 and so drunk and stoned I hardly remember half the day lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I saw Slipknot at Summerset in 1999 or 2000 at a show called Tattoo the Earth. They were with Sevendust and Slayer. We were 19-20 and so drunk and stoned I hardly remember half the day lol 

That was roughly my experience there as well. :lol:

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Corey is solid.  Wasn't ever really all that into Lipsnot though.  Great live voice.  For pure dynamicism and range in tonality in a rock vocalist though, it's really hard to top Draiman.

I think Corey actually has a wider range but draimans voice has crazy power 

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Draiman has a unique voice in terms of how he can go from angelic to demonic and back by dialing up and down the gravel better than just about anyone.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Draiman has a unique voice in terms of how he can go from angelic to demonic and back by dialing up and down the gravel better than just about anyone.

His live version of sound of silence is incredible 

Just kinda fell off the disturbed train after the 2nd album because it all sounded the same 

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

His live version of sound of silence is incredible 

Just kinda fell off the disturbed train after the 2nd album because it all sounded the same 

so did I on the second bit.  Only time I hear them these days is if I'm in the gym lifting heavy.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

so did I on the second bit.  Only time I hear them these days is if I'm in the gym lifting heavy.

Their first album was pretty badass though 

2 hours ago, ACE said:

As far as range, that would've been Freddie Mercury. I saw Queen one time in 1980 at the St Paul Civic Center. Unforgettable. Although very different singers, he had a stage presence very much like Cory. 

11 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

As far as range, that would've been Freddie Mercury. I saw Queen one time in 1980 at the St Paul Civic Center. Unforgettable. Although very different singers, he had a stage presence very much like Cory. 

Without googling I think Corey has the wider range?

freddy was a power house though and also an absolutely honourable mention to Layne Staley 

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

Without googling I think Corey has the wider range?

freddy was a power house though and also an absolutely honourable mention to Layne Staley 

That could very well be. But of all the singers I've seen in concert, Freddie was the most powerful in sound and presence on stage. That whole stage presence thing can really be deceiving. Makes people seem better than they really are. I had seen Prince when he was a national nobody at 1st Avenue. When he walked out and the lights turned on him, you just knew that you were in the presence of royalty. 

Edited by spin_dry

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That could very well be. But of all the singers I've seen in concert, Freddie was the most powerful in sound and presence on stage. That whole stage presence thing can really be deceiving. Makes people seem better than they really are. I had seen Prince when he was national nobody at 1st Avenue. When he walked out and the lights turned on him, you just knew that you were in the presence of royalty. 

Can also be their ability to put on a good show time after time without a lot of screw ups 

corey can belt a note. And in his preferred range he’s a force. But it’s his ability to go out of his preferred range and still keep it good is what makes him one of the best 

but also, here’s Corey belting out man in the box. He does better than 99% of singers could but absolutely nobody can do Alice in chains with the power and soul that Layne did 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Can also be their ability to put on a good show time after time without a lot of screw ups 

corey can belt a note. And in his preferred range he’s a force. But it’s his ability to go out of his preferred range and still keep it good is what makes him one of the best 

but also, here’s Corey belting out man in the box. He does better than 99% of singers could but absolutely nobody can do Alice in chains with the power and soul that Layne did 

I've never seen that cover. Thanks for posting it. Amazing. A new favorite cover. Squeezes out Motörhead's cover of Sympathy for the Devil. Barely. LOL 

Corey’s voice sounds very thin trying to nail the upper portions of man in the box , also Hawkins butchered that drum cover badly 

Edited by f7ben

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Corey’s voice sounds very thin trying to nail the upper portions of man in the box , also Hawkins butchered that drum cover badly 

Dude...it's a fucking cover. :lol: Like this one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Thin? Compared to Layne yeah a bit. He still hits the notes though 

but nobody has been able to power those vocals like Layne could 

corey can sing AIC. I doubt Layne could have sang all of  Slipknot. That’s the difference 

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Thin? Compared to Layne yeah a bit. He still hits the notes though 

but nobody has been able to power those vocals like Layne could 

corey can sing AIC. I doubt Layne could have sang all of  Slipknot. That’s the difference 

You mean that Corey and Layne were the best at singing their own songs? God Damn....

Fucked up how it ended with Layne. Like really fucked up. Genius kills himself while friends sit back and have a picnic. 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

You mean that Corey and Layne were the best at singing their own songs? God Damn....

Fucked up how it ended with Layne. Like really fucked up. Genius kills himself while friends sit back and have a picnic. 

I’m not really sure they had a choice? Layne was gonna Layne no matter what they said to him imo 

If they pushed him harder he probably would have pushed back harder…

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I’m not really sure they had a choice? Layne was gonna Layne no matter what they said to him imo 

If they pushed him harder he probably would have pushed back harder…

I was being facetious. He was in treatment 10 times. Rejected the message each time. There were a lot of people saying his closest friends abandoned him leading up to his death. Namely Jerry Cantrell. Same thing happened after Sid Barrett lost his mind. It's just strange how these genius types perpetuate their own demise. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I was being facetious. He was in treatment 10 times. Rejected the message each time. There were a lot of people saying his closest friends abandoned him leading up to his death. Namely Jerry Cantrell. Same thing happened after Sid Barrett lost his mind. It's just strange how these genius types perpetuate their own demise. 

Not sure abandoned is the word? They probably couldn’t watch it anymore 

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Not sure abandoned is the word? They probably couldn’t watch it anymore 

It’s like watching a man slowly kill himself by chopping off one appendage after another, starting with his fingers and toes and then working up the chain. Apparently Layne’s existence consisted of video games, speedballing, and hiding. He weighed less than 90 pounds. Just sad and fucked up.