Check your account email address ×

UPS.....seems like a pretty lucrative job

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The UPS driver who delivers to my house is the same. He delivers to the neighbourhood he grew up in.  I knew him growing up in school but he was 3 years ahead of me so he must be just into his 60's. I've lived in this house for 18 years now and he's been coming here the entire time.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement.

Thnx...but called the realtor (a friend who I grew up with) and cancelled the pic taking today.   So for now it's off again:lol:.....but he made a valid point about the market.   

Hard to predict and could go either way but he said my house could very well be worth $100k less in the spring when I plan to relist. It would have to be one hell of a jump in my pension to offset that. I was gonna wait til January to see if rumors of increase in pension come to be.

Now I'm thinking I may call him back to list again but my wife is starting to think I have gone insane with my mind changes and says she has had enough and has started to put the kitchen back to the way we had it.....maybe she is right.  :dunno:

I'm usually quite decisive in my decisions .... but not this time.:guzzle:...very stressed.

• Like 1

Hey Viper, at least get an appraisal on your place, tell the realtor to add another 50K onto that, and if you are happy with that, then decide if you want to list it, or not. Give them a bottom line on what you are willing to take, and stay firm. No harm in listing it, and if you get an offer you are happy with, jump on it. If not, you are out nothing but a bit of time. 

UAW is threatening to go on strike yet again. This time auto manufacturers are saying they will take the skilled labor that’s not on strike and have them do the unskilled labor. Take a day or so to train them :lol: 

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

Hey Viper, at least get an appraisal on your place, tell the realtor to add another 50K onto that, and if you are happy with that, then decide if you want to list it, or not. Give them a bottom line on what you are willing to take, and stay firm. No harm in listing it, and if you get an offer you are happy with, jump on it. If not, you are out nothing but a bit of time. 

Yeah...I had the realtor here for that purpose a couple weeks ago. Was very happy with what he planned to list it for. I wouldn't pay nearly the price of 600k he suggested(just a small ranch) and said we would likely get more.:thumbsup:....says almost all his listings have gone above asking in the last year. Just the way the market is right now. This "low" price is just to get buyers in the door. It really would be the ideal time for me to list as I may be kicking myself later for missing out.  I just don't see these prices holding up ....but I did say the same thing last year and they have continued to rise, so really hard to predict.

Had a long talk with the wife last night and I crunched some numbers.....so unless I really like the job to the extent of possibly giving up significant profits, we are back to listing again.:lol:  but will only accept asking price or higher and probably will only leave listing up for a few weeks.  Houses have been selling within a week around here.... virtually no inventory and a waiting list of buyers.    The time is now...will resume cleaning and will be calling the realtor back to at least give it a go. Glad I kinda know this guy....has to think I'm nuts :lmao:but he seems used to customers on the fence. It really is a life changing decision to make and I have lived in this area my entire life. Moving out will be bittersweet.

Thnx for the input :bc:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah...I had the realtor here for that purpose a couple weeks ago. Was very happy with what he planned to list it for. I wouldn't pay nearly the price of 600k he suggested(just a small ranch) and said we would likely get more.:thumbsup:....says almost all his listings have gone above asking in the last year. Just the way the market is right now. This "low" price is just to get buyers in the door. It really would be the ideal time for me to list as I may be kicking myself later for missing out.  I just don't see these prices holding up ....but I did say the same thing last year and they have continued to rise, so really hard to predict.

Had a long talk with the wife last night and I crunched some numbers.....so unless I really like the job to the extent of possibly giving up significant profits, we are back to listing again.:lol:  but will only accept asking price or higher and probably will only leave listing up for a few weeks.  Houses have been selling within a week around here.... virtually no inventory and a waiting list of buyers.    The time is now...will resume cleaning and will be calling the realtor back to at least give it a go. Glad I kinda know this guy....has to think I'm nuts :lmao:but he seems used to customers on the fence. It really is a life changing decision to make and I have lived in this area my entire life. Moving out will be bittersweet.

Thnx for the input :bc:

Glad to hear... but why is it so contingent on selling and moving from a place you like?

Retired to the house we've lived in for over 30 years with no desire to go... put enough into it this year to where it is a very different place.

I'm not dissing you at all, don't get me wrong. Made the decision to retire 2 years out and not once looked back on it.

Good luck dude...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Snake said:

Glad to hear... but why is it so contingent on selling and moving from a place you like?

Retired to the house we've lived in for over 30 years with no desire to go... put enough into it this year to where it is a very different place.

I'm not dissing you at all, don't get me wrong. Made the decision to retire 2 years out and not once looked back on it.

Good luck dude...

It's mainly a financial decision. Our property taxes are over 10k per year in Jersey for a small ranch on an acre of land.  It's very rare for anyone to actually retire in this state.

We bought a place in Pa. about 5 years ago when I was first retiring:lol:....I was looking for more acreage and a quiet place. It has 8 acres and very quiet(cept for my fireworks), with some trails on my property and neighbors we share for the SxS....maybe 5 cars come down the road all day long. It ended up being a smart purchase as  it has appreciated more than 50% since we bought and taxes are less than half we pay in Jersey....about $4500.

It was ok to own both while I am working and paying almost 15k in taxes:guzzle: but that will have to end when I retire.   We are in a good spot right now when all we have to do is sell high and not worry about buying high.

Plus there is nothing holding us back in this state anymore, parents have passed, my sister moved to FL. a couple years ago, brother is moving south when his in-law passes....approaching 100 years old. Daughter in-law looking to buy in Virginia, so not much left for the wife as well. 

Also the neighborhood and area has been changing with City people doing most of the purchasing the last few years. Very stuck-up and arrogant IMO not a fan of the city dwellers. Yeah, most people think of Jersey as city people too but I am far from that.  Im more of a beer drinking, boobie loving country redneck.:lol: but not white trash either. Keep my house well maintained and neat especially outside for curb appeal. ... But like I said have lived here all my life and always been resistant to change as you can see by my justification s.....hell, I don't even like when we change and upgrade Diads at work.:lmao:...a little UPS humor.   Actually the new Diads are pretty good....you prolly had already left before they came out.  You can now use a map with stops planned out instead of a list if you want....it makes so much more sense and you can see the whole area zoomed in or out.  But now we have to take pics after every stop like Amazon does. I will take a pic of Diad tomorrow.

Yeah,I know you been doing a lot of work on your place and glad you seem happy to have called it quits :bc:....I'm right around the corner.....the ride has paid off for us both. No complaints and set for life.

Holy shit I just typed a novel here.. nearly as long as the Trump indictments :lol: