Check your account email address ×

Orcas have sunk 3 boats in Europe and appear to be teaching others to do the same.

3 minutes ago, nrcptr said:

Awesome!

That would suck though , get tipped into the ocean, then munchy munchy 

I don’t think that they eat people. I might be wrong. They are the apex predator of the sea, so who knows? 

• Gold Member

I've been following this for a couple of years now. They have been biting rudders on sailing vessels for a while now. Several theories but no one really knows why they are doing it. It started with a pod of juveniles leading to the theory that it was like the orca version of teenage rebel behavior.  Other thought it was a revenge instinct cause by a local fishing vessel shooting and killing an Orca. No one really knows why. This is getting dangerous for small sailing vessels that are transiting the area.

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I don’t think that they eat people. I might be wrong. They are the apex predator of the sea, so who knows? 

At present there is no known Orca attack on a human in the wild. Known being the operative word.

5 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Cold, fresh water fan I am.

Not much wants to eat you.

Blue gills will bite! Scares the crap out of you when you're just peacefully floating having a cocktail.  A couple years ago one bit my nipple and didn't let go for the longest 2 seconds ever! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Doorider said:

Blue gills will bite! Scares the crap out of you when you're just peacefully floating having a cocktail.  A couple years ago one bit my nipple and didn't let go for the longest 2 seconds ever! 

Payback I suppose.

I've nibbled on some whale nipples myself, after a few too many cocktails.

• Haha 7

32 minutes ago, Doorider said:

After a few cocktails Sludgy hangs his doodle in the water for the blue gills to nibble. Weird. 

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

true. but they dispatch a few 'trainers' in the aquariums they are kept. to that i say, right on!

Yep, I'd call that justified.