Check your account email address ×

Bye, bye EV's?

Fuel economy figures (combined) of Nissan Micra cars, equipped with the 1.2 petrol engine is 4.1 – 6.6 l/ 100 km (57.37 – 35.64 mpg).

mine was 10 grand 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, toslow said:

Fuel economy figures (combined) of Nissan Micra cars, equipped with the 1.2 petrol engine is 4.1 – 6.6 l/ 100 km (57.37 – 35.64 mpg).

mine was 10 grand 

I gave the highest price. :lol:

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

18000 usd for a Micra.

Don’t think they are sold in the US…..  probably not AWD so not great for commuting road tripping in the winter in the Rocky mountains.  

I’m guessing he has another vehicle for long road trips and the Mirca would be a local commuter only to save on gas vs his road trip vehicle.

Edited by BOHICA

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Don’t think they are sold in the US…..

No idea. I just Googled what they cost in usd.

24 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

How much fuel in Canada price would it take a Nissan Mirca to go 2700 miles?

Probably around 350 to 400

good chance i could drive across canada on 400 bucks 

Edited by toslow

24 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

$78 usd to drive the 2700 miles I put on over the last 31 days

How much time you spent charging 

plus it says 1400miles on the trip meter 

dude you’re such a bullshiter 

and that’s probably charging at home. Thought we was talking about a road trip.

so 300 a night to charge for free👍

Edited by toslow

A Tesla owner says he was locked out of his EV after its 12-volt battery died amid the Texas heat

Grace Kay
Sun, July 2, 2023 at 4:05 AM MDT·4 min read
A Tesla owner says he was locked out of his EV after it died in the Texas heat

A Tesla owner says he was locked out of his EV after it died in the Texas heat.Courtesy of Dennis Hegstad
  • Dennis Hegstad said his Model 3 was stuck in his driveway after its 12-volt battery died.

• The Tesla owner attributes the issue to the impact of the Texas summer heat on the battery.

• He had to get his EV towed and called the issue "annoying as hell."

A Tesla owner said he was locked out of his Model 3 in his driveway after the 12-volt battery, which powers the car's smaller functions including windows and doors, died last week amid the Texas summer heat.

Scroll to continue with content

Ad

The low-voltage battery is not only crucial for powering smaller electronics in the car, but also for charging the EVs main battery pack — and the Tesla can't charge without it, requiring a jump much like a traditional gas-powered car.

"What do you do when it's so hot your @teslawon't respond to the mobile app or physical key?" Dennis Hegstad, the founder of a startup, wrote on Twitter. "I can't open the car or move the car to reach a charging point."

In a video that showed him unsuccessfully trying to get into the EV with his Tesla key card, Hegstad said his 2018 Model 3 had about 130 miles of range left when he woke up that morning. He also posted a photo from the Tesla app showing that it "could not find vehicle" to unlock it.

"Confusing situation when you need to leave to be somewhere @elonmusk," Hegstad tweeted.

Tesla's don't have traditional keys so the key card uses short range radio signals to communicate with the car and unlock the door.

Hegstad told Insider he later found out that the Tesla's 12-volt battery had died. It works alongside the much larger lithium-ion battery pack and powers smaller functions inside the vehicle, including the interior lights, door locks, and windshield wipers. As of last year, Tesla has begun sending push notifications to owners when it's time for the battery to be replaced — Hegstad said he doesn't remember receiving the notification. Newer Model 3 cars also have a 16-volt lithium-ion battery instead of a 12-volt.

While Hegstad said Tesla didn't confirm how the battery died, Hegstad thinks it could be due to the high Texas heat, which ranged from 80 to 96 degrees Fahrenheit in Austin on June 21. Hot weather conditions are known to decrease a batteries life span, reduce the range of an EV, and increase the amount of time it takes the vehicle to recharge.

Ultimately, Hegstad said on Twitter that the issue was "annoying as hell" and added that he felt he'd overpaid for the car by about $15,000 amid recent Tesla price cuts.

"Some buyer remorse," he said on Twitter.

The Tesla owner said he had to spend about $200 to have the electric car towed to Tesla and was essentially stuck until the tow truck arrive because the dead Model 3 was blocking in his gas-powered car. But, before he called a tow truck, Hegstad said on Twitter that he tried all manner of things to get the car back up and running — from hosing it down to cool it off to attempting to jump the 12-volt battery and wasn't even able to get the access point to the charging port open. He also noted that he had kept the vehicle in the shade and had used Tesla's cabin overheat protection system, a function that prevents a Tesla's interior temperature from exceeding 105 degrees.

Hegstad told Insider he got his Model 3 back under 24 hours after reporting the issue and spent about $117 to replace the 12-volt battery. Luckily, the Tesla's much more expensive main battery pack was still intact. Insider viewed Hegstad's invoice from Tesla, confirming the battery issue and its resolution.

A spokesperson for Tesla did not respond to a request for comment from Insider ahead of publication.

Hegstad is not the first Tesla owner to report issues with getting into his EV. Last year, a Tesla owner went viral on TikTok after he said he was locked out of his Model S after the lithium-ion battery died. "BlackBerry" and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" actor Glenn Howerton was also locked out of his Tesla last year after his key fob was unable to connect to WiFi on the lowest level of a Los Angeles parking garage

It Looks Like the Electric Pickup Truck Revolution Is Dead in Its Tracks

1 Jul 2023, 15:00 UTC • By: Aurel Niculescu Aurel Niculescu profile photo

Chevrolet Silverado EV 4WT versus competition

12 PHOTOS

EDITORIAL
Chevrolet recently announced that the first version of the 2024 Silverado EV to reach (fleet) customers won't be the intended $40k variant but rather something almost twice as expensive – the $79,800 4WT version is leading the (inflation) charge.

Not long ago, when Ford and Tesla, for example, announced they would build zero-emissions all-electric pickup trucks, the traditional customers laughed hard at the perspective of getting stranded somewhere remotely without access to a power source or being unable to tow their favorite (heavy) trailer. Nowadays, there are behemoths like the GMC Hummer EV with 1,000-hp powertrains in Edition 1 and 246.8 kWh (total) Ultium batteries that provide a range of up to 329 miles (529 km). There is also a discussion regarding how these heavy vehicles impact safety for other traffic participants because the humongous Hummer EV is a worthy heir of the ICE-powered Humvee in terms of heftiness – towering above the 9k pounds mark with absolute ease and virtually no grace. 

Best used electric cars under £15,000

Actually, its final gross vehicle weight rating of 10,400 pounds (4,700 kg) makes it a class 3 medium-duty truck in the United States so that it can tow and haul just about anything in the high-load bed with a payload capacity of 1,300 pounds (590 kg) or behind it. Performance is also impressive, but even more so is the criticism, and as we have seen from the sales charts, General Motors actually didn't sell too many Hummer EVs. Frankly, they did not sell too many Ultium-based models, period. And they're just about ready to pull the plug from their Bolts – which were the ones that helped it tower above Ford's EV sales not long ago. 

Speaking of the Blue Oval, of course, it has on sale America's most popular battery-electric full-size light-duty truck – aka the Ford F-150 Lightning. Which, by the way, has had numerous price hikes since it was introduced to the market – now the Pro version is almost $60k, but it's also sold out for the 2023 model year. Next up on the ladder comes the $65k XLT with an estimated delivery time frame of October 2023! 

Even if you go higher in terms of trims – with the $77k Lariat or $98k Platinum, you won't get your hands on this highly sought-after commodity until the fall or even winter! So, is anyone surprised that with the high inflation and high consumer demand, automakers are crushing the dream of 'affordable' EVs when it comes to zero-emissions pickup trucks?

Chevrolet Silverado EV 4WT versus competition

Photo: Chevrolet

Even Rivian, which has the slightly smaller R1T, doesn't act like a startup and sells their contender from $73k while also bundling the delivery figures with the related R1S sport utility sibling so that we get confused every time we try to ascertain who's the real king of the EV pickup truck hill – F-150 Lightning or R1T? Anyway, the battle between the GMC Hummer EV, Rivian R1T, and Ford F-150 Lightning will soon be interrupted by a few other contenders, such as the Tesla Cybertruck, the Chevrolet Silverado EV, and GMC Sierra EV twins, as well as the Ram 1500 REV. For what it's worth, the Elon Musk-hyped pickup truck is still nowhere near your driveway even in 2023, as currently, we only have footage of the Cybertruck on the production line at Giga Texas while testing is still underway with some excellent winter sessions in the distant setting of New Zealand. Yep, this one will undoubtedly be 'fashionably' late at the party. 

With all these considerations, I feel that it's absolutely possible to see the Ram 1500 REV hit the market before the Tesla Cybertruck – although the former was announced at an event for the ages in November 2019, and the latter was first shown in pre-production form during the 2023 edition of Super Bowl! That's a difference of almost four years that was eaten away by Musk's pride and Stellantis' ambition to catch the EV bunch even after a slow start. And the Ram 1500 REV promises to be a significant contender for the EV pickup truck title with the looks of a modernized fifth-gen Ram, a frunk, and 800-volt charging capabilities. Naturally, this Mopar also wants to have the most extensive EV range of them all, which naturally involves humongous battery packs of 168 or 229 kWh (usable – the total is 246.8 kWh). 

A simple calculation shows that even though GM, for example, expects that battery cells will cost as low as $87 for each kWh (down from thousands of dollars not long ago) in 2025, a pack like the one in the GMC Hummer EV or Ram 1500 REV of 246.8 kWh would still cost the automaker more than $21,471 two years from now. So, it's basically impossible to see these monsters with 'low' MSRPs in the $40k to $50k range. Plus, there's also the inflation to account for, of course. So, you see, it's only natural that GM decided to kill the Silverado EV's promised $40k base variant and will start fleet sales first with something twice as expensive – the 4WT Silverado EV at $79,800. Next up will be the marginally cheaper 3WT variant for $74,800 with a smaller battery pack, while the first retail version – RST – will go out for $106,895 during the fourth quarter with a 400-mile range. That's about as much as a GMC Hummer EV Edition 1, so the question will be – why bother having one or the other? Well, only time will tell if there is an answer or not

• Gold Member
6 hours ago, toslow said:

How much time you spent charging 

plus it says 1400miles on the trip meter 

dude you’re such a bullshiter 

and that’s probably charging at home. Thought we was talking about a road trip.

so 300 a night to charge for free👍

pretty easy to read the graph and figure out the mileage over the last 31 days.  Total kwhs used times miles/kwh which is why I posted the trip meter with Trip A (lifetime consumption and efficiency)

Blue is home. Red is supercharging, gray is on the road.  Last 31 days and at the bottom of the graph are the days of the month over the last 31 days.   The four numbers below the graph are Mondays….  Monday June 5, 12th, 19th, and the 26th.    Started trip B, always reset trip B when leaving the house on a road trip, on the 20th as my Supercharging (red) and Hotel charging (gray) started.  Returned on the 27th as you can see home charging (blue) started again.  Time spent charging from superchargers is maybe 15-20 minutes on each day you see red in the graph but also multi tasking such a pissing, grabbing a snack or drink and getting rid of bugs on the windshield.

IMG_2997.jpeg

Edited by BOHICA

I'd love to see any EV do my road trip last year.

I brought it up before the hotel we stayed at in Lake Havasu in Arizona. No charger for guests. He said 'stay in a hotel with a charger'... we stayed at the hotel on the water right in the middle of the action. It was recommended by someone who lives there. Beautiful place... best stop of the trip.

But no... stay a mile or 2 away for the free juice!

Then again, if I was worried about nickles and dimes, I wouldn't have spent the $350 a night for a place to stay.

Even on a "fixed income" :lol: I wouldn't own one of those fucking things.

16 minutes ago, Snake said:

I'd love to see any EV do my road trip last year.

I brought it up before the hotel we stayed at in Lake Havasu in Arizona. No charger for guests. He said 'stay in a hotel with a charger'... we stayed at the hotel on the water right in the middle of the action. It was recommended by someone who lives there. Beautiful place... best stop of the trip.

But no... stay a mile or 2 away for the free juice!

Then again, if I was worried about nickles and dimes, I wouldn't have spent the $350 a night for a place to stay.

Even on a "fixed income" :lol: I wouldn't own one of those fucking things.

Google says that area has 88 charging stations. 7 of which are free.

19 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Google says that area has 88 charging stations. 7 of which are free.

I was busy enjoying myself, not car shuffling for $9 of free fuel.

Would you try a 7500 mile trip in an EV? We did it 100% by the seat of out pants with no reservations made, no plans set, certainly no route planned out.

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

I was busy enjoying myself, not car shuffling for $9 of free fuel.

Would you try a 7500 mile trip in an EV? We did it 100% by the seat of out pants with no reservations made, no plans set, certainly no route planned out.

You don't have to plan anything with an EV. it does it all for you. 

And no I would not. 

I will however be buying one in the near future for local driving. You can't beat it.

5 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

You don't have to plan anything with an EV. it does it all for you. 

And no I would not. 

I will however be buying one in the near future for local driving. You can't beat it.

It does it for you.... where does it give me back the time lost for charging? How does it get me into the hotel/resort I want to stay at when it doesn't have chargers? How does it charge my car when the chargers don't work as I look at 1 mile of range on the dash?

Does it for you... :lol:

1 minute ago, Snake said:

It does it for you.... where does it give me back the time lost for charging? How does it get me into the hotel/resort I want to stay at when it doesn't have chargers? How does it charge my car when the chargers don't work as I look at 1 mile of range on the dash?

Does it for you... :lol:

Valid points. Some people seem to make it work.

10 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Valid points. Some people seem to make it work.

They do make it work.... by sitting for hours, by going not where they want but where they need to, and altering plans due to availability.

Those are 3 things anyone on a road trip don't want to deal with.

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

They do make it work.... by sitting for hours, by going not where they want but where they need to, and altering plans due to availability.

Those are 3 things anyone on a road trip don't want to deal with.

My son has never mentioned sitting for hours for charging. Altering plans can happen on any road trip if you don't plan ahead so that really has nothing to do with an EV.

I'll say it again, for local driving it just makes more sense than an ICE. I'll add though, that's only if you can charge from home.

• Gold Member

Picking up steam on production and deliveries.  Market share for EV’s is definetly growing in leap and bounds

Rivian on Monday reported 12,640 vehicle deliveries during the second quarter, up 59% from the previous quarter and topping analyst expectations of 11,000 vehicles, according to analyst estimates compiled by FactSet.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/07/03/rivian-shares-surge-as-second-quarter-ev-deliveries-top-estimates.html