Check your account email address ×

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Ever own or shoot a 25-06 ?

I hunt deer with that round in a model 700BDL DM

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Here’s another hot little round….204 Ruger….

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-204-ruger-history-performance/

My buddy has a .204 and a .17 hornet. Sweet little rounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’m not sure if the round is available now, but I shot the 30.06 accelerator rounds during the “70’s for fox. It was a .22 round fired out of a 30.06. The bullet was encapsulated in a polymer sabot that the bullet shed after leaving the barrel. It was also a hyper velocity round that allowed the dual use of a deer rifle for varmint and pelting. I believe they took the round off the market. 

Never heard of that. Sounds pretty slick.

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Ever own or shoot a 25-06 ?

Yes, I have a Ruger Heavy barrel chambered in 25-06. Flat shooting round, but does have a little more kick than the 17 & 22s. . My favorite flat shooting gun is my Remington M700 heavy barrel chambered in 22-250.. The 22 hornet is another option if you aren't looking for more than 150-200 yards. It's a lot quieter than some of the other 22 caliber rounds.

What are you looking to do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Buy another gun . Ive always been intriged by less popular rounds.

The 25-06 is good one for that. Good round for reaching out and touching something, lol. Good for coyotes on up to deer. It's much better than the smaller round on windy days. If you're looking for odd rounds consider the 22 hornet. It's much quieter than most of the other center-fire rounds and pretty accurate up to 200 yards on a calm day. I think my Ruger 77 chambered in 22 hornet was shooting within inch and a half group at 200 yards. Only issue I've had is that mine doesn't like Remington cartridges and jams. Winchester works fine. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ckf said:

The 25-06 is good one for that. Good round for reaching out and touching something, lol. Good for coyotes on up to deer. It's much better than the smaller round on windy days. If you're looking for odd rounds consider the 22 hornet. It's much quieter than most of the other center-fire rounds and pretty accurate up to 200 yards on a calm day. I think my Ruger 77 chambered in 22 hornet was shooting within inch and a half group at 200 yards. Only issue I've had is that mine doesn't like Remington cartridges and jams. Winchester works fine. 

25-06 is a popular round down south where they are shotting across bean fields . Also deer tend to be smaller down there.Supposed to be a very flat round.

55 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

how do you like the 25? Big field hunting?

I love it. My parents bought it for me for my 16th birthday. (Almost 24 years ago) I liked the idea of something different, everyone seemed to have .270 and .30-06. I've never stretched it out too far since I'm in a mainly wooded area but I have no doubt it would do great. It has done a great job knocking down all the deer I've taken with it as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hayward said:

Never heard of that. Sounds pretty slick.

The rounds were very expensive, but the accelerator allowed a larger bore rifle to be used for more than just bigger game. That made it more cost effective. I heard that they were removed from the marked because the bullets lacked rifling marks and would be difficult to trace in the event of an assassination. That might be all bullshit, but that’s what I was told. 

• Like 1

I was never a big gun person.  Had a bunch handed down to me from grandparents and I like the nostalgia of that, but to just go out and buy guns, meh.  Not my thing.  My two favorites though that i've used over the years were my great grandfather's 30-40 krag lever action, and a friend of mine's 22-250 bull barrel.  Shot many groundhogs with that in high school, and he's shot many deer with that. In the head.  Under the lights.  Out the truck window.:lol:

The 17 hmr and two flintlocks are the only guns i've ever purchased new.  Would like to have a custom flintlock Pa rifle made sometime like what my great great grandfather once carried when they settled here.