Check your account email address ×

Igrip studs pros cons

Have a guy with a 1.75 lug track that he didn't think he needed to stud it but after a year decided he wanted something for trail riding.  Being it's a 1.75 lug track looking at looking at Igrip studs but I've never really worked with them.

Pros cons with these?

I tried to go with them on my '21 VR1 (1.5 Storm track) but lost out on the season due to my neck/arm issues.  A buddy of mine with the same sled/track went with Icemaster brand screw-in studs, and he said they worked for what he needed.  Which is enough grip to get through road crossings and concrete at gas stations, and enough traction to help stop on the trails.  Definitely not the same as far as hook up if a guy is looking to horse around with buddies on the lakes, but if all a guy needs is the ability to help with the above examples ... mission accomplished.  I know if I had the 1.5 Storm on my new '23, I'd be going with the screw-in style studs.  Less mass, less noise, and ... less work installing!!

18 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I tried to go with them on my '21 VR1 (1.5 Storm track) but lost out on the season due to my neck/arm issues.  A buddy of mine with the same sled/track went with Icemaster brand screw-in studs, and he said they worked for what he needed.  Which is enough grip to get through road crossings and concrete at gas stations, and enough traction to help stop on the trails.  Definitely not the same as far as hook up if a guy is looking to horse around with buddies on the lakes, but if all a guy needs is the ability to help with the above examples ... mission accomplished.  I know if I had the 1.5 Storm on my new '23, I'd be going with the screw-in style studs.  Less mass, less noise, and ... less work installing!!

I've seen some tracks were the screw in studs have ripped through the lug.  

Back up plan is to shave the track and put conventional studs it.

I'll check out Icemaster

1 minute ago, Doug said:

I've seen some tracks were the screw in studs have ripped through the lug.  

Back up plan is to shave the track and put conventional studs it.

I'll check out Icemaster

FWIW ... this is where my buddy got his Icemasters:

https://www.cbperformanceparts.com/studs-and-backers/roetin-products/icemaster-screw-in-track-studs/

• 3 weeks later...

They will stiffen up the lugs and cause them to break off and they suck compared to regular studs. Went through that 20 some years ago with the bergstroms. After replacing the track after a couple thousand miles with a track with normal studs it went another 10k with out a problem. 

3 hours ago, ICG said:

1.)  What's the cost difference between cutting the track down & installing studs?

2.) Removing + selling  used Track...

Install a new Ice Ripper Track ...?

He would actually prefer studs and the track in the sled is in good shape.  Cutting the track down is about an hr or a couple drinks.  It's been a while but I have a metal guide/template you lay over the lug and I made a knife edge blade to put in a Sawzall.  Actually real easy to do