Check your account email address ×

any archery/ pcp guys in here?

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, HSR said:

We used to only get a buck tag or a buck/doe tag where the doe can be killed in a specific unit. Then along came surplus doe tags because they felt there was too many so guys could shoot only 1 buck but 2 does  from each of the effected units.This stayed in effect until there wasn’t enough left. Other things played a role such as forestry, hard winters and a peaking wolf population but nothing like the slaughter that happened. Our group used to buy tags to save the herd but to no avail.

Main part of the rut is bow only so during their most distracted time gun hunters aren't out.   Over my 30 years of bow hunting I've shot some nice deer but being in a stand during the rut with legal firearm in Iowa I'd shoot a 160"+ almost every year.  Can't tell you the amount of fabulous deer that were just out of bow range or not a clear shooting lane or simply too dark even during legal shooting hours.   Honestly just crossbow hunting over that time would have put another 5-10 160"+ on my wall and in the freezer. 

4 hours ago, HSR said:

We used to only get a buck tag or a buck/doe tag where the doe can be killed in a specific unit. Then along came surplus doe tags because they felt there was too many so guys could shoot only 1 buck but 2 does  from each of the effected units.This stayed in effect until there wasn’t enough left. Other things played a role such as forestry, hard winters and a peaking wolf population but nothing like the slaughter that happened. Our group used to buy tags to save the herd but to no avail.

Similar story here. There were a few years where you were allowed to shoot 5 deer (one buck) in some areas and I think they went a little too far.

2 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Similar story here. There were a few years where you were allowed to shoot 5 deer (one buck) in some areas and I think they went a little too far.

The area I speak of is on the north side of Rainy Lake,the south side being Voyager National park in MN. I can see the US from high ground. So I'm sure it's the same on the US side. There is a Voyager Park wolf study going on and my buddy has gotten collared wolves on his trail cams from the study.

12 minutes ago, HSR said:

The area I speak of is on the north side of Rainy Lake,the south side being Voyager National park in MN. I can see the US from high ground. So I'm sure it's the same on the US side. There is a Voyager Park wolf study going on and my buddy has gotten collared wolves on his trail cams from the study.

I'm 3+ hours south of that but we have our fair share of wolves here too. My uncle lives in Nestor Falls and talks about the decline in deer numbers there too, he blames the amount of hunters that come from Toronto area along with the wolves.

5 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I'm 3+ hours south of that but we have our fair share of wolves here too. My uncle lives in Nestor Falls and talks about the decline in deer numbers there too, he blames the amount of hunters that come from Toronto area along with the wolves.

In his area I can attest that he is spot on. I'm not far from there and know guys that hunt the area. Southern Ontario hunters are far more disliked around here than US hunters. They are the assholes in general.Entitled citiots.

Had a few guys from the US that used to come up from Wi. to hunt with us.:bc: Once met and partied with some US hunters my bud was guiding only to realize later we were both on HCS:lol: and already talked online a lot.

13 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Just saw that story on Facebook and came to share it. Pretty good footage.

I've been following that study for awhile now. They have just AMAZING trail cam vids. I love the "a year on the beaver dam" or " a year on the trail". Just cool seeing all the different wildlife that's out there :thumb:  

1 hour ago, HSR said:

I've been following that study for awhile now. They have just AMAZING trail cam vids. I love the "a year on the beaver dam" or " a year on the trail". Just cool seeing all the different wildlife that's out there :thumb:  

That beaver dam one is awesome. I have loosely followed it as well, my family camped at voyagers for quite a few years and my folks still try to get up there.

@HSRGot him a few weeks ago but didn't find him for 5 days.   Sucks to lose the meat and the cape but that's the way it goes sometimes.   Blood simply dried up and grid searches turned up nothing.   Found him when I spotted 3 eagles getting up from the carcass in the woods while walking to another stand.  Really was a good hit, just behind the heart double lung.    

4.5+ YO buck that had been thru some battle this year.  22.5" on the inside.

20221106_094908_resized.jpg

Resized_20221106_111043_resized.jpeg

Edited by Highmark
  • Sad 1

• Gold Member

well she arrived.sighted er in for 20 yards for the shortest ranged reticle.

the power drops off substatially by shot 20 of a charge.

those first 5-10 are motherfuckers though lol.hunting youll only use 1 or 2 anyway, so the fading shouldn't be much issue.

on the first 3-5 , if there was no hay bale behind it, that arrow was going clean through that crossbow target at 20 yards with a completely rounded tip.

314499695_633007314972418_175189210302069280_n.jpg

314374971_1072272596794029_4850767595079481736_n.jpg

314428539_1300828577349527_4276902569433454811_n.jpg

314483947_505638331486756_4770443938950523825_n.jpg

Edited by ZR800efi
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

@HSRGot him a few weeks ago but didn't find him for 5 days.   Sucks to lose the meat and the cape but that's the way it goes sometimes.   Blood simply dried up and grid searches turned up nothing.   Found him when I spotted 3 eagles getting up from the carcass in the woods while walking to another stand.  Really was a good hit, just behind the heart double lung.    

4.5+ YO buck that had been thru some battle this year.  22.5" on the inside.

20221106_094908_resized.jpg

Resized_20221106_111043_resized.jpeg

Congrats :thumbsup: Yeah it sucks when this happens but at least ya found him. Beauty buck!!!! No ravens around where you are? Them bastards usually find our animals for us 

57 minutes ago, ZR800efi said:

well she arrived.sighted er in for 20 yards for the shortest ranged reticle.

the power drops off substatially by shot 20 of a charge.

those first 5-10 are motherfuckers though lol.hunting youll only use 1 or 2 anyway, so the fading shouldn't be much issue.

on the first 3-5 , if there was no hay bale behind it, that arrow was going clean through that crossbow target at 20 yards with a completely rounded tip.

314499695_633007314972418_175189210302069280_n.jpg

314374971_1072272596794029_4850767595079481736_n.jpg

314428539_1300828577349527_4276902569433454811_n.jpg

314483947_505638331486756_4770443938950523825_n.jpg

That's pretty cool

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, HSR said:

That's pretty cool

i mean its no gun or nothing, but a solid substitute for any crossbow or compound.

once sighted in, pretty dam accurate too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZR800efi said:

i mean its no gun or nothing, but a solid substitute for any crossbow or compound.

once sighted in, pretty dam accurate too

How loud is it ?

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, HSR said:

How loud is it ?

varies like the power.the first few screamers id say about 100 db at the muzzle.it tapers as the pressure tapers..by shot 20-25, not much sound at all.sounds more 'hollow' then a gun shot.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, HSR said:

On my phone it’s sounds like a .22 ?

pretty close.only the first few.after that it gets alot less . it dont got the same 'crack' as a gun.more a hollow pop.

Edited by ZR800efi

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, HSR said:

How many bolts can you fire on a charge of air?

25 ish they say but i put that many down range and it was still reading about 1200 psi

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, HSR said:

How many bolts can you fire on a charge of air?

id say 20 shots in your still north of 300 fps.first 1 or 2 480-460 for sure. 

take a hell of a bow to equal it on those first couple

Edited by ZR800efi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HSR said:

Congrats :thumbsup: Yeah it sucks when this happens but at least ya found him. Beauty buck!!!! No ravens around where you are? Them bastards usually find our animals for us 

Not many.   Eagles and yotes.