Check your account email address ×

What an absolute disaster .....

http://www.investors.com/politics/policy-analysis/minnesota-shows-everything-wrong-with-obamacare/

There is no doubt that Obamacare is a disaster .....it is indefensible and most knew this would be the outcome. Those who are young and healthy are saying fuck you and paying the fine. The risk pool is such that premiums are skyrocketing. Coverage for most under the ACA is nothing more than an extremely costly catastrophic coverage plan. p

The only people who are benefiting from this disaster at all are those who are receiving the full subsidy. So the government took control of an industry ....wasted trillions of dollars and we are left with a situation far worse than what we had.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Capt.Storm said:

I believe I have been saying that.

Some really like that barry deny's the insurance companies the preexisting clause. 

Not being able to get insurance from preexisting conditions is shitty though

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Well that depends if you were born with the condition or not.

I mean can you wait till you wreak your vette then buy auto insurance?

Edited by Capt.Storm

I was for single payer then and am more for it now .....everyone is getting care no matter what so lets shift that care to less costly arenas of the spectrum and emphasize preventative care for those who are receiving none right now

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Capt.Storm said:

Well that depends if you were born with the condition or not.

I mean can you wait till you wreak your vette then buy insurance?

Medical conditions and having to switch from one carrier to another, maybe from switching jobs etc, only to get hassled or denied from a preexisting condition

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Medical conditions and having to switch from one carrier to another, maybe from switching jobs etc, only to get hassled or denied from a preexisting condition

through no fault of your own..yes that's a problem...i agree.

I think there should be a special deal through the gov for those people. Like to be enrolled into Medicaid but pay something based on income.

Edited by Capt.Storm

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I was for single payer then and am more for it now .....everyone is getting care no matter what so lets shift that care to less costly arenas of the spectrum and emphasize preventative care for those who are receiving none right now

I agree. This current abortion we have is either just benefiting only the poor and/or enriching the insurance companies while continuing to screw the middle class which has been the government's M.O. for the past few decades...

Edited by GGNHL
  • Like 1

through no fault of your own..yes that's a problem...i agree.

so now you want to get into assigning blame for various medical conditions as a determination of their eligibilty for coverage? I knew you were not a smart man years ago but sweet fuck do you focus on the dumbest shit

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

so now you want to get into assigning blame for various medical conditions as a determination of their eligibilty for coverage? I knew you were not a smart man years ago but sweet fuck do you focus on the dumbest shit

You're twisting what I said bish.

Must be the vette thing got to you!:lol:

14 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

I agree. This current abortion we have is either just benefiting only the poor and/or enriching the insurance companies while continuing to screw the middle class which has been the government's M.O. for the past few decades...

I agree 100% but what to do.

Single payer would cut out some thief's no doubt.

But they say that will cut competition.. I dunno about that because hospitals will still want patients right?

Should hospitals also be gov owned as in owned by the people?

Edited by Capt.Storm

There was already a law in place that insurers had to cover pre-existing as long as the individual was previously insured and diagnosed with another carrier.  Obamacare just allowed people with no insurance and a pre-existing condition to be accepted by insurance carriers.  This complete manipulation of corporate enterprise by the government was supposed to be offset by the government requiring all to buy into the plans.  Namely, the young and healthy people who were not buying into it...because...they do not need or want insurance.  To try to make these "non risk" people do this, they attached fines every year to those who do not but health insurance.  It was a joke and still is...ultimately, what happened was what everyone with a brain (mostly republicans) knew was gonna happen:  people with horrendous health and conditions jumped in, the "good ones" did not and opted for the petty fines.  Default rates for even the lowest of the subsidized payers, who are the largest drain on the system, is around the 60% mark so insurance companies are not getting that money.  And the Gov't is still withholding payments to states subsidizing these plans meaning now, the insurance companies aren't getting that either and suing states and the fed as a result.  Meanwhile, health insurers are dropping of plans, canceling coverage and causing a massive problem for everybody insured.  Now, none of this is ever more than just a quick blip on the aganda based liberal news media. 

So, while I don't necessarily feel bad for the rotten and corrupted insurance companies and health care system and agree something had to be done.  This was a poor plan shoved down the throats of the lawmakers in an effort to do something.  Again, nobody with any brains (again, mostly republicans) thought it would be successful.  The question now is...what is going to change moving forward with our healthcare system.  And it's gonna change...there is no choice. 

Edited by Zambroski

15 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

There are parts of the U.S. health care that make me damn glad I don't live there. I have had people that I managed who were U.S. based, made a very good income and were living in next to poverty due to the U.S. health care system.

One person had health coverage at his former employer as a benefit of the job but there were limits to the amount they would pay and there was a deductible. He and his family were doing okay but due to his wife's medical condition (she wasn't born with it) they were still spending about 15% of their income on medication and doctors appointments. His job was lost as part of a restructure and he came to work for us. We provided coverage that had a lower deductible and higher limits than his last employer but the insurer denied coverage for his wife as a pre-existing condition. They were now just surviving financially even though we were also paying him more than his former employer.

The company health care program in the U.S. also had a requirement for an annual doctors checkup and an annual health education program that must be taken within a specific window. The education program would result in lower out of pocket premiums for the employee. One of my guys missed the education window by one week which ended up in him paying about $2K more out of pocket for his family that year.

Meanwhile in Ontario I don't have a deductible on medical care, because of my income level I pay about $600 a year on my income tax for government health care and my prescriptions and dental are covered under my work plan which costs me nothing out of pocket. My dental does have a limit of $3K annually per person and I pay 10% of prescription costs. A number of years ago I went into the emergency room and spent 9 days in hospital having my gall bladder removed. Cost to me $0.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

There was already a law in place that insurers had to cover pre-existing as long as the individual was previously insured and diagnosed with another carrier.

Interesting..I didn't know there was a law/rule for that before Barry.

Edited by Capt.Storm

Interesting..I didn't know there was a law/rule for that before Barry.

If that is the case then tell me how it was that the person who reported to me was getting screwed by the insurance company based on a pre-existing condition with his wife. Perhaps it varied from one state to another?

3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

There are parts of the U.S. health care that make me damn glad I don't live there. I have had people that I managed who were U.S. based, made a very good income and were living in next to poverty due to the U.S. health care system.

One person had health coverage at his former employer as a benefit of the job but there were limits to the amount they would pay and there was a deductible. He and his family were doing okay but due to his wife's medical condition (she wasn't born with it) they were still spending about 15% of their income on medication and doctors appointments. His job was lost as part of a restructure and he came to work for us. We provided coverage that had a lower deductible and higher limits than his last employer but the insurer denied coverage for his wife as a pre-existing condition. They were now just surviving financially even though we were also paying him more than his former employer.

The company health care program in the U.S. also had a requirement for an annual doctors checkup and an annual health education program that must be taken within a specific window. The education program would result in lower out of pocket premiums for the employee. One of my guys missed the education window by one week which ended up in him paying about $2K more out of pocket for his family that year.

Meanwhile in Ontario I don't have a deductible on medical care, because of my income level I pay about $600 a year on my income tax for government health care and my prescriptions and dental are covered under my work plan which costs me nothing out of pocket. My dental does have a limit of $3K annually per person and I pay 10% of prescription costs. A number of years ago I went into the emergency room and spent 9 days in hospital having my gall bladder removed. Cost to me $0.

People talk about long wait times in Canada...do you find that to be true?

Just now, 02sled said:

If that is the case then tell me how it was that the person who reported to me was getting screwed by the insurance company based on a pre-existing condition with his wife. Perhaps it varied from one state to another?

I dunno...have to ask z i guess.

Interesting..I didn't know there was a law for that before Barry.

Yep.  And it had been in place for some time.  But, it was another "non-earned credit" for a man with no credit for doing anything other than being a "community organizer"...whatever the fuck that was.  Now, I'm trying not to bash him so much as our corrupted media, ultimately, they are the ones goofing our whole country up.  And I still give credit for his administration to try and do something..ANYTHING to stop the bleed.  Problem is, if people think government can step in and control the private sector without compromise, well, they are delusional.  And that delusion is wildly out of control on the left.

3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

How was he "getting screwed"?

It's above a few post.

Well, that describes the "screwing" sort of...but how did it come to that.  My educated guess:  He let his coverage lapse after he lost his job.  If that coverage lapses for even one day, you are no longer considered to have prior coverage.  And it's a bit of a screw job...but if anyone explained the coverage correctly when transition with COBRA, he'd be getting fleeced, but would still have all pre-existings covered under the new plan.