Check your account email address ×

Anyone watch MX and the bike "claiming" incident at Loretta's

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I raced mx and hare scrambles for years, and this claiming motor’s shit is all new to me. Then again it was just any NESC and NETR/ sanctioned events in New England. I raced a couple of pro circuit built motors and they were fast as fuck. Anyone thinks they are going to come along and take my motor from me would have another thing coming 😆

Maybe this isn't allowed in Canada, but, like you, this is also the first time I have heard of such a thing. I only raced for 2 yrs and only in Ontario but I don't recall a single person ever talking about this?

Edited by irv

34 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I raced mx and hare scrambles for years, and this claiming motor’s shit is all new to me. Then again it was just any NESC and NETR/ sanctioned events in New England. I raced a couple of pro circuit built motors and they were fast as fuck. Anyone thinks they are going to come along and take my motor from me would have another thing coming 😆

On the other end of this you would be suspended for a year. I know a guy who went to Dayton and got protested. Instead of putting the motor up for inspection he drove home. 

The ama banned him for a year. Netra does not have a rule like that. One of the conversations we had was running a 300cc top end on a 250. That series rules said it was what the bike started off as not what you built. 

Every series has different rules, know and understand them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

On the other end of this you would be suspended for a year. I know a guy who went to Dayton and got protested. Instead of putting the motor up for inspection he drove home. 

The ama banned him for a year. Netra does not have a rule like that. One of the conversations we had was running a 300cc top end on a 250. That series rules said it was what the bike started off as not what you built. 

Bingo, I always made sure I knew the rules inside and out.  Because if you ever place in top 3 you are going to be questioned and inspected thoroughly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kivalo said:

OK but why have a claim? How does it make things better? Whats the point?

To try to keep the cost of racing down. 

Don't show up with something you aren't willing to loose.  If your 14 year old is racing a $40k bike, you are probably doing something wrong.  

It isn't uncommon in dirt cars for guys to show up with a $40k car to run in a class that pays $300 to win. 

We used to have a track here you could claim a whole car for $500.  Going to show up to race a trophy class in a $10k car if the next swinging d at the track can take it home for $500?  

2 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

Since you asked. We raced AMA flat track races for years and one class in particular turned into a builders class. You could outspend the the other guy basically buying a championship. 

Most amateur events don't have any way to measure the motor so a protest is useless. 

At this level of competition a work's motorcycle is 30-40k+ so spending say 17 to claim is a bargain. If you know someone might buy your cheater bike for cheap money it should keep you from doing it to being with.

Read the rules for the 50cc class sometime, it will make your head spin.

I've been listening to the VitalMX interviews.  If I'm some up and coming amateur or their parents/sponsors, I'm not sure if I'm racing a Yamaha next year, or working with that kid's former trainer (assuming either is in the picture).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doomxz600 said:

Part of the reason I only raced a few enduros, and quit racing motocross.  I just wanted to go as fast as I could, and that generally doesn't work well in enduros.  And now seems like every year, there is some new transponder rule, along with the pain in the ass of keeping it charged, etc..  I can't be bothered.  :lol:  Just mounted up a sweet LED headlight on my 400 EXC though.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Part of the reason I only raced a few enduros, and quit racing motocross.  I just wanted to go as fast as I could, and that generally doesn't work well in enduros.  And now seems like every year, there is some new transponder rule, along with the pain in the ass of keeping it charged, etc..  I can't be bothered.  :lol:  Just mounted up a sweet LED headlight on my 400 EXC though.  

Moto-Tally transponder, locally works in three series and has no battery. I love racing, but at my age I enter old man classes.

IMG_20220817_190550803_HDR.jpg