Check your account email address ×

Tesla battery packs power the Hawaiian island of Kauai after dark

2 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

Well, there ya go, the utopian idealistic society,,,, designed by a guy that did not do the same for his employees when the money came his  way  :stoned:

Do you think you'll die from all the irony?

8 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

yes that is what they were telling me in high school in the mid 80s. well that and we would be in a ice age by now.

have u people ever seen a solar farm in person? it is pretty crazy .

why is HI not using wind? the wind is always blowing off the pacific

You went to high school?  Wow, good thing it was free or I'd be suggesting you ask for your money back.

:lmao:

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

public sector unions finest.

:thumb:

Okay, all BSing aside, solar has come a long way even in the last decade and there is a ton of money being spent of research and production which is improving the panels and driving the cost down.  It really is taking off.

IMG_6727.JPG

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, Sleepr2 said:

According to Jimmy that cars should be free,,,,

Yes because I believe in basic healthcare for all Americans I also believe we should all have free cars. Fuck you're dumb.

we spent a week in a off the grid home this winter . he had 1/2 the roof done and 3 big polls in the yard .

he also hade a huge v8  propane generator that was almost always running .

I think f u live in AZ or something it is prob more cost effective .

this guy took 6 yrs working with the forest service so now he has water rights and a permit  to have a 18in pipe off river to run in to a turbine to generate power .

14 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

we spent a week in a off the grid home this winter . he had 1/2 the roof done and 3 big polls in the yard .

he also hade a huge v8  propane generator that was almost always running .

I think f u live in AZ or something it is prob more cost effective .

this guy took 6 yrs working with the forest service so now he has water rights and a permit  to have a 18in pipe off river to run in to a turbine to generate power .

Sunlight is at its weakest strength in the winter too right, so it makes sense.  He would produce a lot more energy from the panels in the summer.  You're right though, solar works better in sunny areas of the world.  China is putting is solar farms instead of coal plants now, and India is not far behind.  It's pretty amazing what's going on.  3rd world countries are ahead of NA with this.

hydro is the one of the best imho. time tested  and we have underutilized dams all over the country.  why are we spending 1.5 per unreliable windmill when the river is always running and never stops shinning. u don't need a battery to store it

Edited by Ez ryder

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Sunlight is at its weakest strength in the winter too right, so it makes sense.  He would produce a lot more energy from the panels in the summer.  You're right though, solar works better in sunny areas of the world.  China is putting is solar farms instead of coal plants now, and India is not far behind.  It's pretty amazing what's going on.  3rd world countries are ahead of NA with this.

Or behind us on this.  You see how much forested land was deforested and wildlife habitat destroyed by teslas 13 megawatt solar farm in hawaii????  Pictures are rather disgusting and such an assault on Mother Nature 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Or behind us on this.  You see how much forested land was deforested and wildlife habitat destroyed by teslas 13 megawatt solar farm in hawaii????  Pictures are rather disgusting and such an assault on Mother Nature 

IMG_6728.JPG

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

IMG_6728.JPG

Have you seen the pictures of the jungle this is in???  52 acres completely leveled. It's just 13 megawatts and takes the island to 40 percent renewable

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Have you seen the pictures of the jungle this is in???  52 acres completely leveled. It's just 13 megawatts and takes the island to 40 percent renewable

that only disturbs the left if the forest getting tore out is for something they don't believe in . like mining  

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

So 110 acres would power the island? Not too bad.

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

So 110 acres would power the island? Not too bad.

Nope.  You are not to bright are you???  There is prolly not enough land to power the island by solar....

4 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Nope.  You are not to bright are you???  There is prolly not enough land to power the island by solar....

Using your math is my problem then.

i should have done my own....thanks.

31 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Looks like a field to me

IMG_6730.JPG

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Looks like a field to me

IMG_6730.JPG

It is a field now....  with no vegetation or animal habitat.  It equivalent of cutting down the amazon jungle to farm which the left gets pissed about.

52 acres to go from a 37.4 renewable portfolio to a 40 percent renewable portfolio.

The technology is getting better but has a long way to go for many situations. Either the climate in Kauai provides a whole lot more solar power than here OR the power consumption on that island isn't that great.

Trying to put it into perspective with what I have available for comparison is the generators used as backup for data centres. A 1 megawatt generator will fit into a shipping container. If 13Mw is 40% of the total power requirement then that total requirement is only 32.5 mW. That is essentially nothing in the grand scheme. The one I managed had a 3 mW load.

From a local news article

Last month Ramara Township council voted to support Innergex Renewable Energy's 600-acre solar project that is predicted to produce 60 megawatts (mW) of power.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2015/08/28/last-month-ramara-township-council-voted-to-support-innergex-renewable-energys-600-acre-solar-project

If all we can get out of a solar farm here (600 acres) is 60 mW that is only  0.1 mW per acre. To power that data centre would take either 3 generators that would fit in 3 shipping containers and can be run on diesel or natural gas OR solar panels covering 30 acres.

The Doyles didn't. They took Recurrent up on their offer to develop a solar photovoltaic system on 63 acres of their 200-acre Tay Township farm, north of Coldwater. The project, known as RE Waubaushene 5 proposes a five megawatt solar facility.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2010/11/22/farming-the-sun-solar-plan-energizes-local-farmer

Another nearby solar farm with production being 63 acres for 5 mW. Those 63 acres would perhaps be able to power the BMO data centre in Barrie. Only in the day time though.

July 17, 2013 Toronto Hydro reported a peak load of 4,907 megawatts. At 0.1 mW  per acre Toronto would need a solar farm of 49070 acres or approximately 200 sq, km.

One day the technology will be there but not yet,

• Gold Member
16 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Using your math is my problem then.

i should have done my own....thanks.

You are assuming this solar plant powers the whole island at night by your thread title.  Hence why your duped very frequently by the media as you are not capable of any advanced thought

2 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

Yes because I believe in basic healthcare for all Americans I also believe we should all have free cars. Fuck you're dumb.

I dream of the day someone has an intelligent conversation with creepr

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

It is a field now....  with no vegetation or animal habitat.  It equivalent of cutting down the amazon jungle to farm which the left gets pissed about.

52 acres to go from a 37.4 renewable portfolio to a 40 percent renewable portfolio.

It looks like it was a field before as there are fields surrounding it.  Of course I've never heard any outrage from you about massive open pit coal mines, tar sands production, oil pipelines, huge refineries etc.  All of these are major polluters tied to fossil fuels extraction and production.  If solar has come to the point where they can install a system like this and save 1.6 million gallons of diesel fuel per year and produce hydro at 1/2 the cost, what is there honestly to complain about?  Oh noes, solar panels.....STFU