Check your account email address ×

Anyone doing fireworks on the 4th

48 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

That sucks! I bought enough 3“ inch 4” salutes to get me through this year last fall.

trying to buy a full container for next year but delivery is iffy  

the owner buys dozens of containers every year, but with china reclassifying a bunch of stuff as 1.1 now, it's a pain in the ass for him to get a lot of the stuff that used to be pretty basic.

i was trying to buy stuff for my own personal use this summer and i couldnt get anything bigger than 6, and those were pretty limited. not great brands and effects.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

the owner buys dozens of containers every year, but with china reclassifying a bunch of stuff as 1.1 now, it's a pain in the ass for him to get a lot of the stuff that used to be pretty basic.

i was trying to buy stuff for my own personal use this summer and i couldnt get anything bigger than 6, and those were pretty limited. not great brands and effects.

Same with the guy that buys all of our stuff.  Had to do a lot of calling and called ion a few favors to get the shells he wanted for our main show on July 3rd

On 7/3/2022 at 9:25 AM, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

The 4th better get here soon....fireworks are like crack to me..just cant get enough....just added this cake as a part near finale.....sucker weighs nearly 62lbs.

Very cool!

On 7/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Nice....I plan on trying to get a license when I finally do retire and this hobby becomes more full time.

It really is an art when it comes to firework making....tired of doing it under the radar...plus with a license can legally buy class B

Buying and shooting is a whole lot different than making.  

If you go legit to making them check what is all involved.  I don't know the restrictions and storage requirements completely for making but.  In Wisconsin the building needs some lengthy setbacks from any other structure, the physical size is like under 200sf, walls are concrete or concrete block, no windows, explosion proof single door and the roof needs to exit to direct a blast upward.  Only one person can working in the building and it needs to be climate controlled.  There's other requirements for material storage and more requirements for storage and record keeping for class B fire works.

I've been shooting for over 35 years when thing were very loose.  We became certified for shooting a number of years ago and have been grandfathered in as far as any additional certification requirements.  I need to shoot at least one documented show a year with my name on the shooting permit to maintain my certification.  This is in Wisconsin and each state is different.  Most are more restricted which probably is not a bad thing.  Tommy would have a better understanding and information of what is currently required.  And that's only for shooting.

Making and being legal is a different game so do some checking.

Edited by Doug
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Buying and shooting is a whole lot different than making.  

If you go legit to making them check what is all involved.  I don't know the restrictions and storage requirements completely for making but.  In Wisconsin the building needs some lengthy setbacks from any other structure, the physical size is like under 200sf, walls are concrete or concrete block, no windows, explosion proof single door and the roof needs to exit to direct a blast upward.  Only one person can working in the building and it needs to be climate controlled.  There's other requirements for material storage and more requirements for storage and record keeping for class B fire works.

I've been shooting for over 35 years when thing were very loose.  We became certified for shooting a number of years ago and have been grandfathered in as far as any additional certification requirements.  I need to shoot at least one documented show a year with my name on the shooting permit to maintain my certification.  This is in Wisconsin and each state is different.  Most are more restricted which probably is not a bad thing.  Tommy would have a better understanding and information of what is currently required.  And that's only for shooting.

Making and being legal is a different game so do some checking.

I got my federal explosives license this year, and can assure you that the legal aspects associated with manufacturing are mind blowing. 

4 hours ago, Tommcat said:

Jus getting a container in a reasonable timeframe is ridiculous 

Edited by Sleepr2

2 hours ago, Tommcat said:

I got my federal explosives license this year, and can assure you that the legal aspects associated with manufacturing are mind blowing. 

But according to the local “ experts” you can do a show for 500 bucks..😂

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 8/22/2022 at 4:58 PM, Big Crappie said:

Very cool!

Yeah....not quite Tommcat, Sleepr or Doug quality but very nice for a backyard show.....I throw in a few homemade shells and aerial salutes for good measure.

Already stocking up for next year with most of my O.T. money going towards it:lol:....the source I buy from sends me a list of products, then I view them on youtube and pick out the ones I like and they place an order for me.  Next year will be extra special, as I plan on finally retiring right around the 4th....So I will be going all out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My stock of Fireworks for next year continues to grow....upwards of $3k already:lol:...I have already started to hide some from the wife...she thinks I am absolutely insane.

Just picked up these 2 cakes that look awesome.

No explanation needed on these effects

Bought a case of these hitters....Salutes and Falling leaves...real cool and unique combo

1 hour ago, jdels said:

That santa baby is good.  Backroom stuff I assume.  No way that is legit 1.4

Yeah....you won't find any of these in the top consumer stores. Maybe some mom and pop shops when you gain their trust. All overloads.

Found a really good connection last year.  They are constantly sending me updated lists of  available products and I just pick and choose. Hard to believe some of the stuff available but I guess there is a huge market for it......this guy moves a ton of product.

5 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah....you won't find any of these in the top consumer stores. Maybe some mom and pop shops when you gain their trust. All overloads.

Found a really good connection last year.  They are constantly sending me updated lists of  available products and I just pick and choose. Hard to believe some of the stuff available but I guess there is a huge market for it......this guy moves a ton of product.

I have been fortunate myself in that regard.  Too bad so far away.....

38 minutes ago, jdels said:

I have been fortunate myself in that regard.  Too bad so far away.....

Yeah....it's only about 20 minutes from me.....not cheap and Im probably paying top dollar but there are some hard to come by items....well worth it IMO.

• 5 months later...
40 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

From a Veterans appreciation benefit that we sponsor and shoot for.

received_775375406820330.jpeg

received_528132026098179.jpeg

received_863894714698165.jpeg

received_616319700302676.jpeg

In the process of selling my Pryor  company, too much ATF, DOT , uncertain supplies and costs for insurance and transport.

Edited by Sleepr2

2 hours ago, Sleepr2 said:

In the process of selling my Pryor  company, too much ATF, DOT , uncertain supplies and costs for insurance and transport.

That's why i choose to work for a massive national company instead of doing it on my own. 

I let them worry athat bullshit and just do the cool part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

That's why i choose to work for a massive national company instead of doing it on my own. 

Yup,  there’s no room for small companies in todays regulatory business environment.

I’ve already been offered work in FL for forth of July 

Edited by Sleepr2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2023 at 3:43 PM, Tommcat said:

You going to Oshkosh for the International Fireworks convention?

Screenshot_20230404_221033_Chrome.jpg