Check your account email address ×

Obama’s cruel policy reversal on Cuban refugees, where was the outrage from the left?

• Platinum Contributing Member

Where was the outrage when Obama changed the Cuban refugee policy from wet foot dry foot to all are subject to removal?  We use to basically accept them  (which was bullshit) if they made land (dry foot) they could stay.   If they were caught on water they were sent back. (wet foot).   Obama reversed this and said any can be removed.  The fact that Obama know's many Cuban's vote GOP because of its tough stance on Cuba is proof the choice of who stays or goes is for votes.  I agree with his policy change what I laugh at is the hypocrites on the left criticizing Trump and never Obama for doing many of the same things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-ending-wet-foot-dry-foot-policy-allowing-cubans-reaching-us-soil-to-stay-and-receive-residency/2017/01/12/21bbaac2-d912-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.7e5acd0837bb

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/01/14/obamas-cruel-policy-reversal-on-cuban-refugees/?utm_term=.6c7f824ec280

For some fifty years, the US has had a policy of welcoming refugees fleeing the brutal communist dictatorship in Cuba. In the 1990s, the policy was changed to “wetfoot, dryfoot,” under which Cubans who succeeded in reaching the United States would be allowed to stay, but those unfortunate enough to be caught at sea were barred. On Thursday, President Obama ended the wetfoot, dryfoot policy and made Cuban refugees “subject to removal,” like undocumented migrants from other countries. They might still gain official refugee or asylum status and be allowed to stay by proving that they have been personally targeted by the government on the basis of their political speech, religion or some other characteristics. But that is extremely difficult in most cases. For most Cubans, like other victims of communist governments, the main injustice they suffer is the everyday oppression meted out to all the regime’s subjects.

There is absolutely no justification for Obama’s new policy. It is gratuitously cruel towards Cuban refugees, without creating any meaningful benefits. Despite some modest economic reforms, Cuba remains a repressive communist dictatorship whose people suffer massive oppression and poverty brought on by over fifty years of totalitarianism. Indeed, repression of dissent has actually increased since President Obama began to normalize relations with Cuba in December 2014.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

A good "leaving alone" is what we are going to see from the board libs here.

Or, a spin/deflect/lie.  Either way.

No they will make an excuse like Cuba isn't that bad of place or something bullshit like that.  

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No they will make an excuse like Cuba isn't that bad of place or something bullshit like that.  

I'm convinced they all PM each other rapidly for a "response plan".  Well, all except MC, he doesn't know how to use the PM system. :lol:

5 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

No shit, there are some differences?   Nobody claimed they are the exactly the same you're simply too stupid to figure out the point.  

Edited by Highmark

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I'm convinced they all PM each other rapidly for a "response plan".  Well, all except MC, he doesn't know how to use the PM system. :lol:

:lol:   Which one is the pitcher and which one is the catcher?

5 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No shit, there are some differences?   Nobody claimed they are the exactly the same you're simply too stupid to figure out the point.  

Yea, it's different and that's why there was no widespread outrage.

Duhhhh

IMG_6575.GIF

36 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Where was the outrage when Obama changed the Cuban refugee policy from wet foot dry foot to all are subject to removal?  We use to basically accept them  (which was bullshit) if they made land (dry foot) they could stay.   If they were caught on water they were sent back. (wet foot).   Obama reversed this and said any can be removed.  The fact that Obama know's many Cuban's vote GOP because of its tough stance on Cuba is proof the choice of who stays or goes is for votes.  I agree with his policy change what I laugh at is the hypocrites on the left criticizing Trump and never Obama for doing many of the same things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-ending-wet-foot-dry-foot-policy-allowing-cubans-reaching-us-soil-to-stay-and-receive-residency/2017/01/12/21bbaac2-d912-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.7e5acd0837bb

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/01/14/obamas-cruel-policy-reversal-on-cuban-refugees/?utm_term=.6c7f824ec280

For some fifty years, the US has had a policy of welcoming refugees fleeing the brutal communist dictatorship in Cuba. In the 1990s, the policy was changed to “wetfoot, dryfoot,” under which Cubans who succeeded in reaching the United States would be allowed to stay, but those unfortunate enough to be caught at sea were barred. On Thursday, President Obama ended the wetfoot, dryfoot policy and made Cuban refugees “subject to removal,” like undocumented migrants from other countries. They might still gain official refugee or asylum status and be allowed to stay by proving that they have been personally targeted by the government on the basis of their political speech, religion or some other characteristics. But that is extremely difficult in most cases. For most Cubans, like other victims of communist governments, the main injustice they suffer is the everyday oppression meted out to all the regime’s subjects.

There is absolutely no justification for Obama’s new policy. It is gratuitously cruel towards Cuban refugees, without creating any meaningful benefits. Despite some modest economic reforms, Cuba remains a repressive communist dictatorship whose people suffer massive oppression and poverty brought on by over fifty years of totalitarianism. Indeed, repression of dissent has actually increased since President Obama began to normalize relations with Cuba in December 2014.

I thought Obama was guilty of letting everyone in? And he was blasted for that. Now he is being blasted for scrutiny? 

2 hours ago, Anler said:

I thought Obama was guilty of letting everyone in? And he was blasted for that. Now he is being blasted for scrutiny? 

I said I supported not letting them in.   The point is while slightly different Obama had done things on refugee's very similar to Trump yet NOTHING was said in protest what so ever.