Check your account email address ×

New push for Nuclear weapons?

• Platinum Contributing Member

Sadly I think this invasion by Russia may push countries to acquire or upgrade their nuclear arsenal.   Let's face it there is one reason and one reason only the world hasn't sent troops into Ukraine.  Non-nuclear countries especially in the middle east have seen the restraint because of Russia's nuclear capabilities.   Can't say I blame any country for wanting them.

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Sadly I think this invasion by Russia may push countries to acquire or upgrade their nuclear arsenal.   Let's face it there is one reason and one reason only the world hasn't sent troops into Ukraine.  Non-nuclear countries especially in the middle east have seen the restraint because of Russia's nuclear capabilities.   Can't say I blame any country for wanting them.

Turns out people are more civil when they know each other can completely wipe out an entire city with the push of a button.  Russia knows Ukraine doesn't have the military power to withstand a full invasion.  If Ukraine could hit Moscow with a nuke, this wouldn't be happening right now.  That's why Iran and North Korea have been pursuing nuclear weapons like they have.

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Turns out people are more civil when they know each other can completely wipe out an entire city with the push of a button.  Russia knows Ukraine doesn't have the military power to withstand a full invasion.  If Ukraine could hit Moscow with a nuke, this wouldn't be happening right now.  That's why Iran and North Korea have been pursuing nuclear weapons like they have.

Agreed.  Problem is it allows ruthless countries to be more ruthless not just for their own "protection." 

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Agreed.  Problem is it allows ruthless countries to be more ruthless not just for their own "protection." 

Yeah, that's probably true but it isn't like they aren't ruthless now.  

• USA Contributing Member

Who's the first one going to be to set one off down the road?  Would countries that have them be willing to loose a major conflict and contain themselves if it came down to that?