Check your account email address ×

About Time

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles-Long Beach port complex will begin fining shipping companies if they let cargo containers stack up as the nation's busiest twin harbors deal with an unprecedented backlog of vessels.

The Los Angeles and Long Beach harbor commissions voted Friday to implement a 90-day “container excess dwell fee” that sets time limits on how long containers can stay at marine terminals.

About 40% of all shipping containers entering the U.S. come through the Los Angeles and Long Beach ports. The number of ships waiting to unload has risen to record volumes.

As of Friday, there were 153 ships at anchor, berthed or “loitering" — cruising while awaiting dock space — and more than 100 of those were container ships, according to the Marine Exchange of Southern California, which monitors port vessel traffic.

Ships anchored at the complex have well over a half-million containers on board, officials said. They hold hundreds of millions of dollars worth of toys, electronics, clothing and furniture.

“We’re going through a significant crisis,” Mario Cordero, executive director of the Port of Long Beach, told that harbor commission on Friday.

The logjam of ships has interrupted the global supply chain and prompted the Biden administration to allow the port complex to operate 24 hours a day to try to get goods unloaded and out to consumers as the Black Friday and Christmas holiday season approaches.

The joint container fee program that starts on Nov. 1 will charge ocean carriers $100 per container. But the fine increases by $100 per container per day until the cargo moves.

Containers moving by truck can remain for eight days before the penalties kick in, while containers moving by rail have a five-day deadline, according to the Port of Los Angeles.

The penalties won’t take effect until Nov. 15 at the earliest, however, depending on whether daily snapshots of the situation show progress in clearing the docks.

“Our objective with this program is not to generate revenue” but to make room for ships waiting to enter the port, Los Angeles Harbor Commission President Jaime Lee said in a statement.

The average waiting times for cargo to be picked up has doubled in the wake of an import surge partly brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, which affected traffic from Asian suppliers.

Another problem is a lack of industrial warehouse storage space in the region. Before the surge, truck-bound cargo generally left a terminal in less than four days, and containers headed to trains only languished for a couple of days.

4 hours ago, Zambroski said:

:lol:

Progressive minds produce progressive thinking!  What a ducking train wreck.

It is amazing to watch there policy's directly cause a fucking mess . Then to watch them start implementing fines to people dealing with the mess the fuck heads policy's made .

Should Warren buffet not be coming to the rescue with some trains ? Oh no he wants the hyper inflation 

8 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

It is amazing to watch there policy's directly cause a fucking mess . Then to watch them start implementing fines to people dealing with the mess the fuck heads policy's made .

Should Warren buffet not be coming to the rescue with some trains ? Oh no he wants the hyper inflation 

It’s not a train problem. It’s a California policy problem. 

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

It’s not a train problem. It’s a California policy problem. 

I know it is a trucking issue and govenment made the policy . But I also know a lot of those trucks go from port to a train yard to bring that shit accross the countery . See them all the time 2 containers high 100 cars long .

28 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Always seemed to catch a train at that crossing…..

We wrote down the times they went thru and try to be there at those times, I love trains.

You ride that trail often? 9 mile loop too?

12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

We wrote down the times they went thru and try to be there at those times, I love trains.

You ride that trail often? 9 mile loop too?

I have yes, when ever we can.  My son and I usually try to run a back pack trip from my sisters in New Richmond to some place in your area.  Eagle Lodge was a great place right on 5 with their cabins, but with Greg’s declining health and what’s her face running it into the ground, we will be looking else where to stay.  

13 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Make the problem (or make it up) then try to tax and fine their way out of it....creating a whole new host of problems.  Repeat.

Just found out the twats up here took the Covid money from fed and are using it for the homeless this winter.  I wonder if they are offering moving services between here and the CIties and Chicago.  Dummies.

Stupid ass Libtwat mayor was bragging about a 400 person increase in the population.  When she was asked about job increases....."meh...ummm....well...errrrrr."

4 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I have yes, when ever we can.  My son and I usually try to run a back pack trip from my sisters in New Richmond to some place in your area.  Eagle Lodge was a great place right on 5 with their cabins, but with Greg’s declining health and what’s her face running it into the ground, we will be looking else where to stay.  

You've then seen the only driveway on the 9 mile loop, it belongs to Mark Heath the owner of Whiskey Ridge in Radisson, he rents the home there for $25 per person per night if you're ever looking for a place to stay.

• Like 1