Check your account email address ×

Iowa budget surplus more than quadruples to over $1.2 billion

• Platinum Contributing Member

Time for some more tax cuts. :thumbsup:  Still ran a surplus in 2020 with the "pandemic." 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/iowa-budget-surplus-more-than-quadruples-to-over-2412-billion/ar-AAOTbjp

The surplus to the state’s general fund will reach $1,238.6 billion for fiscal year 2021, Gov. Kim Reynolds’ office said on Monday. This is over four times as much as 2020′s $305.5 million surplus, and is the fourth year in a row where the figure increased from the previous fiscal year.

That is awesome news.  Back in 2011, Wisconsin cut taxes by nearly 2 billion and the democrats went wild, saying that the Wisconsin budget was in jeopardy.  Then of course there was ACT 10 as well and the dems went ballistic.  Wisconsin has had a budget surplus since Walker.

26 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I guess non of the resident democrats wanted to address this great situation that conservative politicians created.

California has a budget surplus of $75 BILLION. Democrat politicians too.

$75B > $1.2B

Better luck next time.

16 minutes ago, SShooterZ said:

$75B > $1.2B

Better luck next time.

Noe deduct the money given to them by leftists for “ relief “. 

57 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

the excessive taxation pays your excessive spending.  

If they're both excessive, wouldn't they cancel each other out, resulting in $0 surplus?

BTW, Iowa (3.39%) and Wisconsin (3.25%) have a higher property tax burden than California (2.64%).

And, both Iowa (1.57%) and Wisconsin (1.85%) have a higher effective real-estate tax rate than California (0.76%)

Might want to rethink that "excessive taxation" stance. Unless you're attributing that to Iowa and Wisconsin's surplus.

2 hours ago, SShooterZ said:

$75B > $1.2B

Better luck next time.

California has a bigger GDP than most 2nd and 3rd world countries.

How much of that tax revenue for any state mentioned for fy 2020/2021 stemmed from sales tax ?

As an example... Where I live 5.5% sales tax on a $60k truck is $3300.  Do you know how many big ticket vehicles and 'toys' were sold in 2020/2021 ?  I'll go with a fuckload... of sales tax. 

Also, this country had a shitload of people not working during the pandemic, so I would anticipate income tax revenue is average or down.

32 minutes ago, SShooterZ said:

If they're both excessive, wouldn't they cancel each other out, resulting in $0 surplus?

BTW, Iowa (3.39%) and Wisconsin (3.25%) have a higher property tax burden than California (2.64%).

And, both Iowa (1.57%) and Wisconsin (1.85%) have a higher effective real-estate tax rate than California (0.76%)

Might want to rethink that "excessive taxation" stance. Unless you're attributing that to Iowa and Wisconsin's surplus.

Might want to rethink defending wasteful as frivolous spending just because someone else is paying for it.image.thumb.jpeg.737c0e7512750ebc05d26fad41545d96.jpeg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

How much of that tax revenue for any state mentioned for fy 2020/2021 stemmed from sales tax ?

As an example... Where I live 5.5% sales tax on a $60k truck is $3300.  Do you know how many big ticket vehicles and 'toys' were sold in 2020/2021 ?  I'll go with a fuckload... of sales tax. 

Also, this country had a shitload of people not working during the pandemic, so I would anticipate income tax revenue is average or down.

They're like 5th in the world. What's helped them is the Big Tech companies just kept on rolling through the pandemic, many of them going public. Lots of tax money to be had there. So I don't think they saw the dip in income tax like other states as so many of them WFH anyway.

They do have a high sales tax, but I believe it accounts for less than 40% of their overall tax income. I could be wrong on that though.

10 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

Might want to rethink defending wasteful as frivolous spending just because someone else is paying for it.

When your argument loses it's legs, go to meme mode. That always works.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Thats disgusting. We buy a $60 k truck here our sales tax is $0 . Just as it is on everything

54 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Thats disgusting. We buy a $60 k truck here our sales tax is $0 . Just as it is on everything

Live free or die 

How do they compensate?

I have several friends who are from NH, excluding Ricky

4 hours ago, SShooterZ said:

They're like 5th in the world. What's helped them is the Big Tech companies just kept on rolling through the pandemic, many of them going public. Lots of tax money to be had there. So I don't think they saw the dip in income tax like other states as so many of them WFH anyway.

They do have a high sales tax, but I believe it accounts for less than 40% of their overall tax income. I could be wrong on that though.

When your argument loses it's legs, go to meme mode. That always works.

Keep defending frivolous and wasteful spending, then start bleating “the rich don’t pay their fair share “.   That always works…

9 hours ago, Sleepr2 said:

Keep defending frivolous and wasteful spending, then start bleating “the rich don’t pay their fair share “.   That always works…

I’ve done neither. That’s the conversation in your head that’s talking.

3 minutes ago, SShooterZ said:

I’ve done neither. That’s the conversation in your head that’s talking.

Careful or he’ll start blathering about Teachers Unions and Teddy Kennedy! 🤣

• Haha 1