Check your account email address ×

FU-236 (s/n 49-1236)

This is the first plane in US inventory to shoot down a MIG.

Later my uncle was shot down in the same jet...

FU-236 (s/n 49-1236)

336fu236d.jpg

Edited by Snake
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Is this a cell phone pic? Are you at Wright Patterson AFB?

No.

I actually have done a lot of research on the matter. There is a website that has the full complement of F-86 from his particular squadron. That is where the pic is from.

Believe it or not, the plane in that pic was originally attributed in the literature to my uncle. For years his name was on the plane, and the stic literature told his story of being shot down and held as a POW. They changed it a couple years ago and attributed it to the MiG killer.

Sadly my uncle dressed up in his Blues in his house, pulled his service revolver and committed suicide about 10 years ago.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Snake said:

No.

I actually have done a lot of research on the matter. There is a website that has the full complement of F-86 from his particular squadron. That is where the pic is from.

Believe it or not, the plane in that pic was originally attributed in the literature to my uncle. For years his name was on the plane, and the stic literature told his story of being shot down and held as a POW. They changed it a couple years ago and attributed it to the MiG killer.

Sadly my uncle dressed up in his Blues in his house, pulled his service revolver and committed suicide about 10 years ago.

The thing about WPAFB and the National Air Force Museum is that every plane they have is of historical significance.  Most air museums have planes of all types but WPAFB has the most important planes of their types.  Just to have a plane in that display that your uncle flew means that it was the best example of the plane available. 

53 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

The thing about WPAFB and the National Air Force Museum is that every plane they have is of historical significance.  Most air museums have planes of all types but WPAFB has the most important planes of their types.  Just to have a plane in that display that your uncle flew means that it was the best example of the plane available. 

F-86A-5-NA
336th FIS; write off on 10-24-1951 Pilot: Irish

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Downed by MiG, 4 F-86s vs 3 MiGs, tail section smoking at Sinanju heading SW at 1530L

[334th 1/Lt. Bradley B. Irish on 10.24.1951 Status: RMC]

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

its a very cool place.  i skipped out on my daughters college orientation to go there for the day.  

3 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

its a very cool place.  i skipped out on my daughters college orientation to go there for the day.  

This year they opened the presidential hanger so now you don't have to get on a  list to see the presidential planes and the YF23. Just down the street is the Wright brothers bicycle shop and the original flying field which are both national parks system. Great place.

10 hours ago, Snake said:

That's terrible :sad: