Check your account email address ×

*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

Hendrick Motorsports goes for third forth straight Atlanta win

Georgia has been "peachy" to Hendrick Motorsports in recent memory. The four-car outfit owned by Rick Hendrick has won the last three races at Atlanta Motor Speedway behind the efforts of #5-Kasey Kahne (2014) and #48-Jimmie Johnson (2015-16). On Sunday, Hendrick Motorsports will go for its fourth consecutive win at the 1.54-mile track as it travels to AMS with Kahne, Johnson, Georgia native #24-Chase Elliott and #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. for the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500

Overall, Hendrick Motorsports boasts a track-record 14 wins at Atlanta, where Rick Hendrick discovered future NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon. In addition to winning the last two races at Atlanta, Johnson has won there on three other occasions, leading active drivers with five victories. "The racing surface, for one, and the banking. I think it's the steepest 1.5-mile we run on," Johnson said. "It's always put up that short-run speed and then the age of the surface has given us the character that we all like in the track."

Kahne hasn't won since he took the checkered flag Labor Day weekend in the 2014 Atlanta contest. He's started 84 races since then, but expressed confidence heading into Sunday's race. "You've got to have your car handling and driving the right way when you cross the bumps," Kahne said. "You lose grip over a run a good bit, especially in the front-end of the car. Understanding all of those things and making them work, we've been able to have a lot of success over the years at intermediate tracks - especially Atlanta and Charlotte - and I want to have a lot more."

Elliott from Dawsonville, Georgia, would love to earn his first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory at his home track after coming up three laps short of winning the DAYTONA 500. The 21-year-old Chevrolet driver has logged two career runner-ups. "Atlanta will always be special to me and hopefully we can go there for a long time and try to have some good runs along the way," Elliott said.

Earnhardt won at Atlanta in 2004, placed runner-up at the oval last season and finished third there in 2015. He'll try to visit Victory Lane for the first time since the fall Phoenix race in 2015. The 14-time Most Popular driver wrecked out of the DAYTONA 500, after returning from injury in his first race since July of last year. "It's going to be a fun season and we've got pretty high spirits," Earnhardt said. "I'm ready to get to Atlanta. The worn-out track surface with its bumps and swells makes it a real challenge. It's pretty fun."

• Like 1

Martinsville Speedway debuts new LED lights

With seven decades under its belt, and an eye toward the future, historic Martinsville Speedway has officially flipped the switch. The "Light Up Martinsville" project concluded today, as the facility debuted its new LED lights - the first major motorsports facility to do so.

"Today is truly a historic day in the history of Martinsville Speedway," said Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell. "This is a venue which has a long and storied past, but with these lights now in place, we're looking forward to a bigger and better future - and certainly a brighter one."

The industry-leading LED lighting solution, located around the perimeter of the facility and the infield of the track, will provide better illumination as well as greater flexibility and efficiency than traditional metal halide lights. This will lead to a better visual experience for fans in attendance at races, in addition to providing better clarity for television viewers. The installation was managed by Graybar, a leading distributor of high-quality electrical and communications products and services, featuring Eaton's Ephesus Stadium 750 LED professional sports lights.

Joining Campbell in the ceremony to mark the official lighting of Martinsville Speedway, were NASCAR Hall of Famer Leonard Wood, driver Matt Bowling - 2016 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series National Champion, Peyton Sellers - 2005 Whelen All-American Series National Champion and Lori Cauley, Vice President of Brand, ValleyStar Credit Union.

This year's ValleyStar Credit Union 300 on September 23 will be the first night race to be held in Martinsville's 70-year history.

"It's super exciting," Cauley said. "We were so excited to hear that our race was going to be the first race under the lights. I'm really excited for the drivers too, but having our name on it is just the icing on the cake."

To mark the occasion, Bowling and Sellers turned laps under the lights for the first time, while Wood, at 82 years old stole the show by turning laps in the 1937 Ford his brother Glen drove at Martinsville in 1960.

"That was awesome," Wood said. "Glen and I were standing on the backstretch watching Red Byron win the first race (in 1947).

"It was just a high honor that he (Campbell) would call me and ask me to come over here and run it. When I was driving it around the track it brought back a lot of memories."

Racing returns to Martinsville Speedway March 31-April 2.

This year the historic track celebrates its 70th anniversary.

The weekend starts on Friday with Virginia Lottery Pole Day and continues on Saturday with the Alpha Energy Solutions 250 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Race.

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series will be in action on Sunday with the running of the STP 500.

The race is the first short-track race of the season and marks the series' return to the east coast after the "West Coast Swing."

Last year Kyle Busch became the first driver in the tracks storied history to win both the Truck and Premier Series races in the same weekend.

Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling 877.RACE.TIX or online at www.martinsvillespeedway.com.

--- Martinsville Speedway ---

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dave said:

I wish they still raced at north wilksboro...be great to see night racing there.

Me too. I just watched a drone video on it a few days ago. The place has been abandoned for a while by the looks of it. Let me see if I can find the video.

28 minutes ago, Dave said:

I wish they still raced at north wilksboro...be great to see night racing there.

Here's the video. It should start at the track part of the video. If not it's about 9 minutes in to the video :bc:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ckf said:

Here's the video. It should start at the track part of the video. If not it's about 9 minutes in to the video :bc:

Not too bad of shape really...that idiot Bruton Smith bought it then shut it down...Andy Hillenburg bought it and tried to revive it but the money just there apparently....think he got a couple arca and truck races there.

6 minutes ago, Dave said:

Not too bad of shape really...that idiot Bruton Smith bought it then shut it down...Andy Hillenburg bought it and tried to revive it but the money just there apparently....think he got a couple arca and truck races there.

I think it was Smith and Bob Baer that bought it together. One race went to NHMS and they other one went to one of Bruton's tracks.

I thought it was Rockingham that Hillenburg tried to bring back, but it may have been Wilksboro :dunno:

• Like 1

Just now, ckf said:

I think it was Smith and Bob Baer that bought it together. One race went to NHMS and they other one went to one of Bruton's tracks.

I thought it was Rockingham that Hillenburg tried to bring back, but it may have been Wilksboro :dunno:

Yup you're right. Proves i didnt google it. :lol:

Edited by Dave

I'm looking forward to the Atlanta race this weekend. Between the lower down force and rough surface wearing out the tires, driver skills should separate the men from the boys & Danika  :lol:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ckf said:

I'm looking forward to the Atlanta race this weekend. Between the lower down force and rough surface wearing out the tires, driver skills should separate the men from the boys & Danika  :lol:

Darlington is my favorite track i think...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave said:

Ya thats a close 2nd along with dover

Dover is good, too. The night race at Bristol is my favorite race of the season. I wish they had more short tracks on the schedule. They have way to many of the cookie cutter mile and a halves IMO.  The road courses can be fun to watch too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ckf said:

Dover is good, too. The night race at Bristol is my favorite race of the season. I wish they had more short tracks on the schedule. They have way to many of the cookie cutter mile and a halves IMO.  The road courses can be fun to watch too.

Yes and yes. :bc:

For those of you in the pool, did you notice I have two entries? My VTR account is for what I think are my best picks. My NEK racing account is for taking chances.

1.jpg

12 minutes ago, ckf said:

For those of you in the pool, did you notice I have two entries? My VTR account is for what I think are my best picks. My NEK racing account is for taking chances.

1.jpg

Way to live dangerously.

• Like 1

Are we going to do anything for the top finishing FreedomSledder member at the end of the season? Could be putting X amount of $$ in a pot for the winner. Maybe an Avatar type deal where the winner picks the losers Avatars for X amount of time. If we do do something involving money I'll either pay for both accounts or just pick one to go with.  Anyone else got any ideas?

Also, lets get a list together of the FS members participating with their pool names.

So far we have:

@Biggie Smails as Kansas Clint

@Reevester as Reevester

@Dave as Can Am Kid

@Angry ginger as Angry Ginger (I would think the anger would have subsided by now) :lmaodance:

@ckf as NEK Racing & VTR

@Blackstar is Sawmill Racing

Who else am I missing?

Edited by ckf
added Blackstar to the list

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

Are we going to do anything for the top finishing FreedomSledder member at the end of the season? Could be putting X amount of $$ in a pot for the winner. Maybe an Avatar type deal where the winner picks the losers Avatars for X amount of time. If we do do something involving money I'll either pay for both accounts or just pick one to go with.  Anyone else got any ideas?

Also, lets get a list together of the FS members participating with their pool names.

So far we have:

@Biggie Smails as Kansas Clint

@Reevester as Reevester

@Dave as Can Am Kid

@Angry ginger as Angry Ginger (I would think the anger would have subsided by now) :lmaodance:

@ckf as NEK Racing & VTR

Who else am I missing?

Blackstar