Check your account email address ×

Fishing Gear Suggestions

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm thinking about doing some fishing this summer. I haven't fished in over 25 years.

I will mostly be fishing the rivers around here for Pike and Smallmouth, either from shore or by canoe.Last reel I owned was a Michell and the pole was an Ugly Stik.

Looking for a recommendation on some versatile rod and reel combos for all round use. Nothing too expensive. Just something to start with until I figure out whether I will take the time or not.

What should I be spending? Brands?

Lew's brand rods, probably a medium weight under 7ft.  Look at the Speed Sticks for starters.  (rods have become very specialized based on the type of fishing you are doing) I primarily fish smallies and large mouth, and have half a dozen rods at the cottage and another half dozen or more at home.  You can find them for less online or at Canadian Tire or wherever you guys shop up there, maybe a Tim Hortons?  :lol:  https://www.lews.com/rods

Reel totally depends on ig you prefer a baitcaster, open bale or reel in a can.  Prices and quality are all over the map.

Like anything else in life, spend $ on quality stuff first and it should last for ages and give you years of reliable service.

• Like 1

Go to your local bait shop or sporting store, they'll set you up and you can look at and feel the stuff.  It's alot more than just a rod and reel, support your local and get it all in one place and time with experienced recommendations.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
39 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Go to your local bait shop or sporting store, they'll set you up and you can look at and feel the stuff.  It's alot more than just a rod and reel, support your local and get it all in one place and time with experienced recommendations.

I can't go to a bait shop. We're in lock down for at least a month here and likely more. Natural Sports is a fishing and outdoor store not far from me and I'd go there if I could but they are curbside only.

43 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I can't go to a bait shop. We're in lock down for at least a month here and likely more. Natural Sports is a fishing and outdoor store not far from me and I'd go there if I could but they are curbside only.

When you get a chance look at a 7ft 2 piece med/heavy Shimano rod and alot of decent spinning reels for short money. That's what I use with an old Abu Garcia Cardinal 3. I use a 6ft one piece Shimano Compre med/heavy with a Curado bait caster as well.

• Like 1