Check your account email address ×

Looking for some nerd help with my rural internet.

Tomas.

So I am on LTE internet from a tower to a modem/receiver on my roof. I get a mediocre 25(ish) MBs download and a 1.5(ish) upload with subjection to traffic, weather, aliens on the moon lol. 

So I am looking to reduce my latency while gaming. I called my ISP and they said upgrading to the very recently available 50mbs plan won't affect my latency and that maybe if I update my router it would help a bit. 

I am currently running a 3.5 year old TP-Link archer C60. I am running a wired connection to my PS4/PC. While in games on my PC which allows me to see my latency, I am averaging 110ms with spikes sometimes up in the 600s. 

When the wife is on Netflix or streaming content of any kind, it can (but not always) cripple my bandwidth and basically crash my online game. 

Watching some videos and doing some research, apparently a better router should make for a better online experience.

Can anyone shed some light on this and maybe have some router/internet setting suggestions that would improve my lame internet lol.

Edit: I need some damn snow so I can ride my already expensive hobby vs sitting inside spending money on my PC and internet lmao.

Edited by Tomas.

3 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

So I am on LTE internet from a tower to a modem/receiver on my roof. I get a mediocre 25(ish) MBs download and a 1.5(ish) upload with subjection to traffic, weather, aliens on the moon lol. 

So I am looking to reduce my latency while gaming. I called my ISP and they said upgrading to the very recently available 50mbs plan won't affect my latency and that maybe if I update my router it would help a bit. 

I am currently running a 3.5 year old TP-Link archer C60. I am running a wired connection to my PS4/PC. While in games on my PC which allows me to see my latency, I am averaging 110ms with spikes sometimes up in the 600s. 

When the wife is on Netflix or streaming content of any kind, it can (but not always) cripple my bandwidth and basically crash my online game. 

Watching some videos and doing some research, apparently a better router should make for a better online experience.

Can anyone shed some light on this and maybe have some router/internet setting suggestions that would improve my lame internet lol.

Edit: I need some damn snow so I can ride my already expensive hobby vs sitting inside spending money on my PC and internet lmao.

Your link?

A router upgrade may improve your experience but it’s far from a guarantee. Internet running over the air is by its nature very susceptible to latency. You simply cannot expect the same experience on wireless as you do over a solid wired connection for applications which are latency sensitive. 

Latency spikes are expected and normal over wireless connections. 

Just now, SSFB said:

A router upgrade may improve your experience but it’s far from a guarantee. Internet running over the air is by its nature very susceptible to latency. You simply cannot expect the same experience on wireless as you do over a solid wired connection. 

I know I won't be able to get great internet but wasn't sure if I would make an acceptable cost/performance change or if I was hooped lol.

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

A router upgrade may improve your experience but it’s far from a guarantee. Internet running over the air is by its nature very susceptible to latency. You simply cannot expect the same experience on wireless as you do over a solid wired connection

I beg to differ....I'd agree with you 5 yrs ago.

Just now, Dave said:

Whose your provider....your link is a rural internet provider....although they got bought out by explornet

That's who I am with, xplornet

1 minute ago, Dave said:

So am I....mines fast since they put the new tower in a few yrs ago....im guessing there's to many people on your tower

My speeds are ok as I am like 500ft from the tower with direct line of sight. I am trying to reduce latency.

You can get a router that supports traffic prioritization so that your gaming rig always gets preference of whose packets go first, but as Jowell already said, you're really at the mercy of physics of quadrature amplitude modulation over a time multiplexed signal. 

Best bet for you is to wait for Starlink. Unless your provider plans to add spectrum and/or upgrade their backhaul. 

Edited by Matt

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Was just going to say you must be a gamer....im not a huge gamer but I do play some racing games with a few buddies and no issues... I couldn't before the new tower.

I am 29, so I dabble in the games probably more than I should lmao.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I am 29, so I dabble in the games probably more than I should lmao.

I used to game but now I go for alcohol and cigars. They aren’t affected by latency. :lol:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SSFB said:

I used to game but now I go for alcohol and cigars. They aren’t affected by latency. :lol:

Lmao. I dabble in the alcohols as well but zero smokeables of any kind for me lol. The beers definitely effect my latency though lmao.

• Haha 2

When I was building my home network, I went  basically with this setup.  https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/best-home-network-setup/  

Now, I have a pretty decent wired 100/10 service to the house, but as far as traffic prioritization and latency, read through this article.  It explains setting up a smart queue management/quality of service policy that should help you out.   https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/best-gaming-router/

I don’t game, but my kids have said it’s night and day difference 

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, SSFB said:

A router upgrade may improve your experience but it’s far from a guarantee. Internet running over the air is by its nature very susceptible to latency. You simply cannot expect the same experience on wireless as you do over a solid wired connection for applications which are latency sensitive. 

so to put it in non nerd terms , your fucked.