Check your account email address ×

Study: Repeal Of Wisconsin's Prevailing Wage Law Led To Drop In Wages For Construction Workers

10 hours ago, spin_dry said:

49k? Who are these people ? I know no construction workers pulling less than 80 on the books . No skilled labor is working for that . Poss brick tenders or straight grunts . Even union guys pre package added in are north of that add that package 2x that 

5 hours ago, racer254 said:

Researchers also found that the Wisconsin Department of Transportation saw fewer bids from Wisconsin-based contractors after the laws were repealed compared to before.

Between January 2015 and September 2017, more than 2,600 bids for DOT projects came from Wisconsin contractors. But between October 2017 and December 2019, following the repeal of the laws, that number dropped to a little over 1,700 bids.

The drop meant the share of bids from out-of-state contractors increased from 9 percent to 13 percent in the same timeframe.  

"What that means is ... Wisconsin tax dollars that previously went to Wisconsin contractors and construction workers, (are) now being used to pay workers from out of state," said Duncan. "When that happens, Wisconsin tax money leaks out of Wisconsin and it stimulates economies in neighboring states instead of supporting the local economy."

Seems to me this is a very telling statement and maybe there needs to be some laws put in place to keep Wisconsin taxpayer money in Wisconsin

on the face yes . But is that reality ? Local guys go home and sleep at home eat at home pack a lunch at home drink after work at home .

What kind of coin do you think the out of town guys staying in hotels eating every meal out drinking at the bar most nights . Don't always have your equipment or not worh hauling in so you rent  stuff . Ever been on vacation how much dose it cost you to live away from home Then? Same thing when away from home . 

I can tell you this much if I bid a job away from home i add at least  250 per day per guy just to cover there costs 

Researchers also found that the Wisconsin Department of Transportation saw fewer bids from Wisconsin-based contractors after the laws were repealed compared to before.

Between January 2015 and September 2017, more than 2,600 bids for DOT projects came from Wisconsin contractors. But between October 2017 and December 2019, following the repeal of the laws, that number dropped to a little over 1,700 bids.

The drop meant the share of bids from out-of-state contractors increased from 9 percent to 13 percent in the same timeframe.  

"What that means is ... Wisconsin tax dollars that previously went to Wisconsin contractors and construction workers, (are) now being used to pay workers from out of state," said Duncan. "When that happens, Wisconsin tax money leaks out of Wisconsin and it stimulates economies in neighboring states instead of supporting the local economy."

Seems to me this is a very telling statement and maybe there needs to be some laws put in place to keep Wisconsin taxpayer money in Wisconsin

on the face yes . But is that reality ? Local guys go home and sleep at home eat at home pack a lunch at home drink after work at home .

What kind of coin do you think the out of town guys staying in hotels eating every meal out drinking at the bar most nights . Don't always have your equipment or not worh hauling in so you rent  stuff . Ever been on vacation how much dose it cost you to live away from home Then? Same thing when away from home . 

I can tell you this much if I bid a job away from home i add at least  250 per day per guy just to cover there costs 

40 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

49k? Who are these people ? I know no construction workers pulling less than 80 on the books . No skilled labor is working for that . Poss brick tenders or straight grunts . Even union guys pre package added in are north of that add that package 2x that 

I agree. 49K might be illegals working part time on residential.