Check your account email address ×

*** OFFICIAL FS Ontario Vintage Sled Thread ***

Puzzleboy

I'd say your buddy's Exciter was not running right.  Acceleration was their domain, even with their 1/16" paddle track.

Both 9500s and 9700s are on record at tripping 100 mph.  How did they "get there" without Polaris clutching?  :)

Just now, Poncho said:

No, not even close, they were complete slugs and complete under achiever, but the later model Exciter II was better.  The original Exciter had power, way more than my 400, but no manufacturer back in the day could seem to get the power to the ground. That little free spinning 400 would edge the Exciter, especially out of the hole.  Remember the clutching in the Doo's and Yamahas were garbage and the tracks shit.  Yamahas 1/4" lug and Doo 16" wide low lug fat tracker really killed horse power. The P85 and 1/2 lug 15" track was the reason Polaris could get a 70hp 500 run 90mph on the right day.  The rest, except Cat, couldn't get there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puzzleboy said:

Blade and Poncho claim these old Polarii would pretty much break the sound barrier..... but were they not in business in 1982?

Where was the IFS Indy???

1982.jpg

At the next corner waiting for the leafers to catch up....I remember that issue and I never understood why SnowBlower why they didnt run the leafer TXL 340 or TXC 440 in that shootout?  

I'd say your buddy's Exciter was not running right.  Acceleration was their domain, even with their 1/16" paddle track.

Both 9500s and 9700s are on record at tripping 100 mph.  How did they "get there" without Polaris clutching?  :)

Both Buzzards were tucked in tight..... To the Indy Centurian's slip stream.....

Why would they?  It was a performance shootout ...... LC sleds.  The Indy was a slug, and even the Liquifire outhandled it...... a leafer!!!!

I guess Polaris' first production copy of independent font suspension from Chapparal, Alouette etc. left a lot to be desired. 

Just now, Poncho said:

At the next corner waiting for the leafers to catch up....I remember that issue and I never understood why SnowBlower why they didnt run the leafer TXL 340 or TXC 440 in that shootout?  

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yep and Kawi Invader 440's go 100 mph, but I had one on the gun at 60 mph last weekend....

if you ever actually drove an Exciter, which clearly you didn't, you would not be impressed, unstable, and not as described in your spunk rag Snow Goer magazine. They were complete dogs and burned tons of fuel and oil.

6 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Why would they?  It was a performance shootout ...... LC sleds.  The Indy was a slug, and even the Liquifire outhandled it...... a leafer!!!!

I guess Polaris' first production copy of independent font suspension from Chapparal, Alouette etc. left a lot to be desired. 

6 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

TXL is liquid......

10 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

At times the writing is on the " Wall "....

FB_IMG_1486073916114.jpg

• Like 1

Off to bed now.....I actually ride snowmobiles, big ride tomorrow.  Puzzler keep spunking up Snow Goer back issues...once you get by the leafer page there is an entire new world of sleds with things like hydraulic brakes, 15" tracks, aluminum chassis and real suspension.  You really have to get out of the 1980's....

You said TXL 340.  Yes, liquid, but not in the same league as the cover sleds.....

Exactly, TXL 340 leafer, last year was 82 for that one, it would have owned the 9700 in a split second.

Well, this is the Vintage Thread. 

Butthurt over Polaris' poor showing in the Shootout noted.  It's a good thing we have these old references...... as yours and Blade's "memory" tends to be a bit rose-coloured. 

Have a good ride tomorrow.  I had the opportunity to ride an XCR a couple weekends ago.  Not a bad XRS copy at all...... :)  But one has to wonder..... why doesn't Polaris just copy R-Motion like they copy everything else?  They could eliminate all those Pro-Ride parts, improve aesthetics, get their costs down, and have a better riding skid. 

5 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Off to bed now.....I actually ride snowmobiles, big ride tomorrow.  Puzzler keep spunking up Snow Goer back issues...once you get by the leafer page there is an entire new world of sleds with things like hydraulic brakes, 15" tracks, aluminum chassis and real suspension.  You really have to get out of the 1980's....

Edited by Puzzleboy

Butthurt over Polaris' absence in the Shootout noted.  It's a good thing we have these old references...... as yours and Blade's "memory" tends to be a bit rose-coloured. 

Have a good ride tomorrow.  I had the opportunity to ride an XCR a couple weekends ago.  Not a bad XRS copy at all...... :)

Tighten the belt and keep watching for Dorthy and Wizard of Oz

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

" Storm thru at 119 mph "

Poncho, How did you get a Storm to hold together for that long ? Obviously, yours wasn,t a stock one.

I had two buddies that owned Storms, and they were both pigs. My V-max 4 used to spank them, bad.

118.9 mph to be exact, it was stock with 144 studs.  Mine would destroy the VMax 800, the V Max  was as slow as your old RX Ton

Edited by Poncho

You must of got the only good one ever built. Most of them were a breeze, not a storm.

Hey, I never owned an RX 1 Ton. LO, but my 2007 Apex RTX would beat my chubby buddies 2015 Axys, even from a dead stop, on ice.

Of course, he had more excuses than Puzzler defending the 850 doo crap.

17 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

You'd better get some rest for the big ride tomorrow....... Calabogie must be at least 35 or so kms.....

While you were pulling your pud to old Snow Goer mags ....I was riding today.   We rode 180 miles.  My place south to Plevna then east to K&P trail and south to Sharbot Lake for lunch.  Then west to Kaladar, north from there back home by 17:00. Great day trails excellent

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

You must of got the only good one ever built. Most of them were a breeze, not a storm.

Hey, I never owned an RX 1 Ton. LO, but my 2007 Apex RTX would beat my chubby buddies 2015 Axys, even from a dead stop, on ice.

Of course, he had more excuses than Puzzler defending the 850 doo crap.

RX Ton and Tampex are the same....don't kid yourself

i can't believe a sledder would have a chubby buddy sledder....