Check your account email address ×

More coal has retired under Trump than in Obama's 2nd term

spin_dry

Trump supporters and industry allies acknowledge that the president has been unable to fulfill his past promises to revive the coal community, but few show signs of abandoning him for what they describe as an unstoppable free fall. Most blame Obama and renewable subsidies for coal's troubles.

"It's a holocaust. There is no other way to describe it," said Fred Palmer, a former executive at Peabody Energy and a staunch Trump supporter who serves on the National Coal Council. "I've always fought the closing coal plant fight, but never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd get to where we are today."

He added, "I am supporter of Donald Trump's, and I don't think what he has not done is something that precipitated this."

Coal's stubborn descent comes in spite of Trump's success rolling back many of the environmental regulations implemented during the Obama years. EPA repealed the Clean Power Plan, Obama's proposal for cutting carbon dioxide emissions from power plants, and relaxed rules on mercury pollution.

The Department of Energy unsuccessfully lobbied the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to subsidize struggling coal plants but succeeded in instigating rule changes that could benefit coal generators in the PJM Interconnection, America's largest wholesale power market. And the Interior Department ended a moratorium on new federal coal leases.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Trump supporters and industry allies acknowledge that the president has been unable to fulfill his past promises to revive the coal community, but few show signs of abandoning him for what they describe as an unstoppable free fall. Most blame Obama and renewable subsidies for coal's troubles.

"It's a holocaust. There is no other way to describe it," said Fred Palmer, a former executive at Peabody Energy and a staunch Trump supporter who serves on the National Coal Council. "I've always fought the closing coal plant fight, but never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd get to where we are today."

He added, "I am supporter of Donald Trump's, and I don't think what he has not done is something that precipitated this."

Coal's stubborn descent comes in spite of Trump's success rolling back many of the environmental regulations implemented during the Obama years. EPA repealed the Clean Power Plan, Obama's proposal for cutting carbon dioxide emissions from power plants, and relaxed rules on mercury pollution.

The Department of Energy unsuccessfully lobbied the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to subsidize struggling coal plants but succeeded in instigating rule changes that could benefit coal generators in the PJM Interconnection, America's largest wholesale power market. And the Interior Department ended a moratorium on new federal coal leases.

Anyone of significance in the private energy industry will tell you coal is dead and trump either didn’t know this because he’s stupid, or he lied for votes. 

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

Sucks when you didn't read the article, doesn't it? :lol:

Despite cutting all the red tape, no one wants coal. The energy industry has moved on. Any moron knows this. But it’s Obama’s fault :lol: 

-the cult.