Check your account email address ×

2013 Lincoln MKX..AC Blows Hot Drivers Side..Cold Passengers Side

• Platinum Contributing Member

This just cropped up yesterday afternoon and it sounds like it could be a drivers side blend door actuator...anybody dealt with this or something similar?

You unlucky bastard. I have a 09 EXPY with front and rear heat AC. Changed the top blend door actuator for the front. It’s a fun project but not too bad. Now my rear one clicks which is below the front door actuator buried below the console and heat ducts. I have not changed it yet as the console and shifter etc need to be removed and it’s too friggin got right now. The parts are inexpensive it’s just the time.

there are some YouTube videos on line.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

You lucky SOB yours is easy.

parts about 50 bucks

This is one of the reasons I like buying used.  All the common failures are well documented and there are videos showing how to fix them.  A few on my 2012 F150 were blower motor resistor, leaky 3rd brake light, coolant Y pipe leak, squeaky tailgate, and probably a few other things. 

My focus is the same way but different failures.  The evaporator under the dash is a common failure.  The whole dash needs to come apart.  Seats even need to come out.  Book time was something like 8 hours and it took my mechanic 11 hours.  No way I was tackling that job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

This just cropped up yesterday afternoon and it sounds like it could be a drivers side blend door actuator...anybody dealt with this or something similar?

Jim, have you had the lube in the ptu change in your mkx? If not you should. Ford says it's lifetime but it gets hot and causes the output shaft seal to leak. We had ours done but it was to late. It's already leaking a little and the lube that was in it was really bad.

Just a fyi

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Jim, have you had the lube in the ptu change in your mkx? If not you should. Ford says it's lifetime but it gets hot and causes the output shaft seal to leak. We had ours done but it was to late. It's already leaking a little and the lube that was in it was really bad.

Just a fyi

No I haven’t so thanks for the heads up! I bought an extended warranty but I would prefer to avoid issues rather than having them fixed later. 

20 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Just a fyi

Change the fluid every 30k if you want it to last. 

• Like 1

Ford manufacturers a lot of "filled for life" components.  The problem is their definition of a lifetime and mine are completely different. 

Another good example is putting a "lifetime" water pump behind the timing chain on a 3.5L.  WTF were they thinking?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Ford manufacturers a lot of "filled for life" components.  The problem is their definition of a lifetime and mine are completely different. 

Another good example is putting a "lifetime" water pump behind the timing chain on a 3.5L.  WTF were they thinking?

Yeah I wasn’t aware of that one and this is my second 3.5 Ford...luckily we didn’t have an issue with that in The Edge before my kid wrecked it.🤣

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah I wasn’t aware of that one and this is my second 3.5 Ford...luckily we didn’t have an issue with that in The Edge before my kid wrecked it.🤣

My brother's leaked.  2013 year maybe?  Took him a couple days at least to get it done, said it was a total PITA.  I would have sent it out but he is a better/more patient mechanic than I am.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

i have had to do both the water pump and PTU seal in my explorer.  2k between them.  fortunately the whole PTU didn't go.  Stupid designs.  

Same problem on a Mercedes S-Class, rear AC left side blows hot right side blows cold. Called my Mercedes mechanic and he told me it's a faulty valve valve $60 and it takes about an hour , I won't be doing it as I have to take the whole center console out...

• Like 1