Check your account email address ×

Some U.S. police train for just a few weeks, in some countries they train for years

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I can agree with that.   Maybe it was part of the show but I was always impressed with how Alaska State Troopers went about their job.   

I still say I'm not sure enough training can fix what some officers see on a daily basis and its likely there are not enough people applying or even in existence that can handle what they see daily and not let it impact them in some way.    

This is true. Stress reaction of trauma is a major issue for some. The tough guy image keeps a lot of that shit bottled up and seething under the surface. It’s a recipe for disaster in the field and at home. 

Edited by spin_dry

43 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

A lack of deescalation skills is probably one of biggest issues that’s occurring. When a police officer lacks some of those basic skills he’ll fall back on threats, commands, and force. Escalating a situation that could’ve been handled better with the right skill set. Poor training and old school thinking. 

spot on

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

A lack of deescalation skills is probably one of biggest issues that’s occurring. When a police officer lacks some of those basic skills he’ll fall back on threats, commands, and force. Escalating a situation that could’ve been handled better with the right skill set. Poor training and old school thinking. 

This. older cops know how to talk to people and keep shit from getting out of hand.

That being said , keep in mind , more then 1/2 of the people they deal with have mental health issues.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

This. older cops know how to talk to people and keep shit from getting out of hand.

That being said , keep in mind , more then 1/2 of the people they deal with have mental health issues.

I think that the actual percentage is less than that. Of course it depends on the region. None the less, all the more reason to have a firm grasp of deescalation skills. Even those in psychosis can be deescalated. There was a case a few years ago where a Iraq vet disassociated on an interstate. He saw some debris in the medium and stopped traffic. Pulled over his truck with family inside. He had the entire lane backed up. Of course to him it was an IED and he was back in country. A very knowledgeable and well trained trooper came on the scene. He recognized what was happening and told the man he’d just radioed for a bomb disposal team and they were inbound. Immediately it put the guy at ease and the situation was deescalated. Had that officer even touched the man in his state of mind, it would’ve turned into a fight to the death. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:07 AM, spin_dry said:

Yah, like the guy in the Wendys drive through. Talked to him for 1.5 man hours before he stole a tazer and fired it at the persuing officer. Again, are you right abot anything anymore?

1 hour ago, s pump said:

Yah, like the guy in the Wendys drive through. Talked to him for 1.5 man hours before he stole a tazer and fired it at the persuing officer. Again, are you right abot anything anymore?

WTF dude. Stay on one story at a time. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

WTF dude. Stay on one story at a time. :lol: 

Sorry you can't follow. I'll type slower. You said lack of deescalation skills was the problem. Two cops spent 45 minutes with the fella deescalating the situation. Fella was hammered and sleeping in a drive through. Instead of slapping his wrist and apologizing for waking him up so early, they decided he was a danger to let drive away. When Fella figured out he was getting arrested, he wrestle two cops to the ground, grabbed a weapon and turned it on a cop. He escalated himself dead. 

For fucks sakes Spin, your contrarian SJW act is beyond tired, It's bordering on pathetic.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, s pump said:

These cops were fuck-ups from the git go.

They lacked dominant strength, and were lousy fighters, and should have NEVER allowed him to move his car!!!

They sucked as cops, they failed to recognize an obviously impaired person, and wasted time talking to him, and failed to recognize his body language, which was telling them he was gonna resist. 

THEY SUCKED !!!!!! In every way, they sucked. 

1 hour ago, s pump said:

Sorry you can't follow. I'll type slower. You said lack of deescalation skills was the problem. Two cops spent 45 minutes with the fella deescalating the situation. Fella was hammered and sleeping in a drive through. Instead of slapping his wrist and apologizing for waking him up so early, they decided he was a danger to let drive away. When Fella figured out he was getting arrested, he wrestle two cops to the ground, grabbed a weapon and turned it on a cop. He escalated himself dead. 

For fucks sakes Spin, your contrarian SJW act is beyond tired, It's bordering on pathetic.

You’ll defend the cops no matter what. In your eyes they’re all highly trained machines. Not much of a conversation here. Have fun jerking off phoenix  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, s pump said:

1 hour ago, s pump said:

Is there where you and your fuckhead  bother tell the class about your cop nephews and the shit they deal with and blah,blah,blah.....fucking cunt.

17 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

You’ll defend the cops no matter what. In your eyes they’re all highly trained machines. Not much of a conversation here. Have fun jerking off phoenix  

Not at all. If they were in the wrong, arrest em. Theres a bunch of bad cops as there are terrible mental health professional and painters. If you suck you suck.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Is there where you and your fuckhead  bother tell the class about your cop nephews and the shit they deal with and blah,blah,blah.....fucking cunt.

Have I ever called you a name? He's my step son.

Just now, s pump said:

Not at all. If they were in the wrong, arrest em. Theres a bunch of bad cops as there are terrible mental health professional and painters. If you suck you suck.

Have I ever called you a name? He's my step son.

So why attack mode when I bring the aspect of cops needing to get better training. That’s just strange. 

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

So why attack mode when I bring the aspect of cops needing to get better training. That’s just strange. 

....:lol:

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Because your constant contrarian trolling is really annoying and you seem to be on the wrong side of every fucking issue. Not sure what happened to you cuz you used to fun poster when you were into modding sleds and shit. Clearly you're on the spectrum of some sort of "disassociation" which should be evident to you given the overwhelming response by the forum members. And BTW, the Wendys case, he cops talked nice and tried to descalate the situation but Fella wasn't cooperating. You were talking about descalation, I responded to that cuz it was fake news in that case.