Check your account email address ×

Leading US Retirees 'Like Lambs to the Slaughter,' Trump Labor Dept. Quietly Offers Up 401k Plans to

Many here think this is good.

Leading US Retirees 'Like Lambs to the Slaughter,' Trump Labor Dept. Quietly Offers Up 401k Plans to

Private Equity Vultures 

With the American public's attention consumed by the Covid-19 pandemic and mass protests against police brutality, the U.S. Labor Department earlier this month quietly gave corporate sponsors of retirement plans something they've been agitating over for years: a government green light to invest workers' savings into funds managed by notoriously predatory private equity firms. 

The move, announced on June 3 by Labor Secretary Eugene Scalia, allows large managers of 401(k) plans and individual retirement accounts (IRAs) to put workers' retirement savings into private equity investments that offer the possibility of huge returns—and devastating losses. 
---------- 
Sirota wrote that thanks to the Labor Department's guidance, "private equity firms will now be allowed to access—and skim fees off of—the $9 trillion in 100 million workers' 401k plans and IRAs." 

"Now that Trump's Labor Department has opened the floodgates," Sirota added, "a lot more money could end up flowing into these opaque deals, enriching private equity executives and their friends—while leaving workers' meager retirement savings even further depleted."

[link:https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/16/leading-us-retirees-lambs-slaughter-trump-labor-dept-quietly-offers-401k-plans|] 
Emphasis mine 

You know all those people who still supported Trump because their 401k's where doing really well... heh. 
Corruption and outright thievery continues, how much else can they pack in until November. They are staggering in their grift.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Wasn't one article today from you enough on this? 

You obviously don't understand much about 401k's, maybe your brother should post for you.  

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Common dreams! :lol: Another lefty bias rag. I’m shocked!!!!!1!

Its like the firms will be able to charge fee's on $9 trillion without permission.  :lol:  Seek help MC. 

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Many here think this is good.

Private Equity Vultures 

With the American public's attention consumed by the Covid-19 pandemic and mass protests against police brutality, the U.S. Labor Department earlier this month quietly gave corporate sponsors of retirement plans something they've been agitating over for years: a government green light to invest workers' savings into funds managed by notoriously predatory private equity firms. 

The move, announced on June 3 by Labor Secretary Eugene Scalia, allows large managers of 401(k) plans and individual retirement accounts (IRAs) to put workers' retirement savings into private equity investments that offer the possibility of huge returns—and devastating losses. 
---------- 
Sirota wrote that thanks to the Labor Department's guidance, "private equity firms will now be allowed to access—and skim fees off of—the $9 trillion in 100 million workers' 401k plans and IRAs." 

"Now that Trump's Labor Department has opened the floodgates," Sirota added, "a lot more money could end up flowing into these opaque deals, enriching private equity executives and their friends—while leaving workers' meager retirement savings even further depleted."

[link:https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/16/leading-us-retirees-lambs-slaughter-trump-labor-dept-quietly-offers-401k-plans|] 
Emphasis mine 

You know all those people who still supported Trump because their 401k's where doing really well... heh. 
Corruption and outright thievery continues, how much else can they pack in until November. They are staggering in their grift.

commondreams.org smh

What we value.

We share our readers’ progressive values of social justice, human rights, equality and peace. Common Dreams is committed to not only being your trusted news source, but to encouraging critical thinking and civic action on a diverse range of social, economic, and civil rights issues affecting individuals and their communities.

:news: 

FTR it is up to the account holder to decide the risks.  If they don't want their money in these investments then choose to not put them there.  Its no riskier than having your retirement money all tied up in company stock.  Ask the GE and GM employees about that.  I feel fortunate to have been smart enough to divest my company match which was paid in GM shares along the way.  

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Wasn't one article today from you enough on this? 

You obviously don't understand much about 401k's, maybe your brother should post for you.  

Oh I understand it very well. As a taxpayer you will see increased taxes to bail out many companies who invested in private equity firms that took workers life savings.

They have been after it for a long time now they have it. I asked you in the other thread why the need for this?

This is bad for the middle class worker....real bad.

You see what it said Highmark.....stop for once and spit the kool aid out for Cripes sakes.

Labor Secretary Eugene Scalia, allows large managers of 401(k) plans and individual retirement accounts (IRAs) to put workers' retirement savings into private equity investments that offer the possibility of huge returns—and devastating losses. 

private equity firms will now be allowed to access—and skim fees off of—the $9 trillion in 100 million workers' 401k plans and IRAs." 

10 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Oh I understand it very well. As a taxpayer you will see increased taxes to bail out many companies who invested in private equity firms that took workers life savings.

They have been after it for a long time now they have it. I asked you in the other thread why the need for this?

You see what it said Highmark.....stop for once and spit the kool aid out for Cripes sakes.

Labor Secretary Eugene Scalia, allows large managers of 401(k) plans and individual retirement accounts (IRAs) to put workers' retirement savings into private equity investments that offer the possibility of huge returns—and devastating losses. 

private equity firms will now be allowed to access—and skim fees off of—the $9 trillion in 100 million workers' 401k plans and IRAs." 

You're an idiot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Can you show me where it says without employees consent to choose  the individual plan?  Its just opening up more options.  

Edited by Highmark