Check your account email address ×

U.S. northern border illegal crossings rise; many are Mexicans

What I said.....

The number of people apprehended for illegally crossing from Canada into the United States along its northern border has nearly tripled over the past three years, and a growing portion are Mexican citizens, according to federal data. 

One Mexican man who crossed illegally to work on a Vermont dairy farm said it was easier than trying the southern border. 

U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics obtained by The Associated Press after a public records request provide new detail on what was apparent anecdotally: Along the border from Maine to Washington, 446 of the 1,586 illegal crossers apprehended in the 2019 fiscal year were Mexican, or 28%. That’s up from 20 of 558, or just 3.6%, in 2016. 

The numbers also increased for Romanians — many identified as ethnic Roma — and other nationalities, such as Haitians and Indians. Those tallies don’t include apprehensions for reasons other than illegal crossings, such as overstaying visas. 

Read more:  https://www.concordmonitor.com/US-northern-border-illegal-crossings-rise-many-are-Mexicans-34251912

• Platinum Contributing Member

Bravo Mr. Trump!

Have permission or GTFO.

Edited by Highmark

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Mexicans are trying to escape Canada in record numbers.:lol:

The number of cases has increased recently.  There has been some local coverage about it over the past few weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

They go where the work is.

VT farmers are concerned that they won't be able to get foreign workers this year. The Jamaicans used to come to pick the apples in the fall.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Trudeau not giving them checks?

:lol:

If they are working for cash and are illegal they won’t get stimulus. A lot of them are migrating workers I would bet?  We have thousands of acres of farms that have to be hand picked by us. They come into our area around the end of summer and head out in the fall.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

What I said.....

The number of people apprehended for illegally crossing from Canada into the United States along its northern border has nearly tripled over the past three years, and a growing portion are Mexican citizens, according to federal data. 

One Mexican man who crossed illegally to work on a Vermont dairy farm said it was easier than trying the southern border. 

U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics obtained by The Associated Press after a public records request provide new detail on what was apparent anecdotally: Along the border from Maine to Washington, 446 of the 1,586 illegal crossers apprehended in the 2019 fiscal year were Mexican, or 28%. That’s up from 20 of 558, or just 3.6%, in 2016. 

The numbers also increased for Romanians — many identified as ethnic Roma — and other nationalities, such as Haitians and Indians. Those tallies don’t include apprehensions for reasons other than illegal crossings, such as overstaying visas. 

Read more:  https://www.concordmonitor.com/US-northern-border-illegal-crossings-rise-many-are-Mexicans-34251912

so in a year they captured what they prob do in a day or a week on the southern border.  it's not a huge issue.  

17 minutes ago, ckf said:

VT farmers are concerned that they won't be able to get foreign workers this year. The Jamaicans used to come to pick the apples in the fall.

Same here. I know a local orchard owner who for many years had Jamaicans come here legally to pick. Since Trump made it really difficult he has to use others he won’t mention to harvest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Same here. I know a local orchard owner who for many years had Jamaicans come here legally to pick. Since Trump made it really difficult he has to use others he won’t mention to harvest.

Hopefully they stay and open up authentic taco stands. Tremendous ones!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

If they are working for cash and are illegal they won’t get stimulus. A lot of them are migrating workers I would bet?  We have thousands of acres of farms that have to be hand picked by us. They come into our area around the end of summer and head out in the fall.

Trudeau just gave my kid a check for 2k.  Only took 3 days to come in the mail.

No, I'm not voting for him.

:lol:

• Haha 1