Check your account email address ×

Apache Heritage/Star Speed Record Key West to Havana

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Yup, a lot of the owners of many different manufacturers, past and present, have connections to gangs and drug money. You don,t get to own and of those huge expensive boats having a 9-5 job.

No but many had day jobs. Don Aronow was big time real estate guy, Reggie Fountain was a high end attorney, Al Copeland started and owned Popeye's Chicken restaurant chain. My favorite is Howard Arneson who made his fortune as the inventor of an automatic pool cleaner. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I can only imagine how cool that is. 

My SIL lives in Key West and is like the mayor. She knows every restaurant, bar, rental person on the island. Going down there with her is awesome. There is a lot of barter and she takes us to great restaurants and several times, we got comped dinners, boat rentals and such. Hopefully get down there in November for the race again. We'll see what happens. She is considering moving back to Ct, why I don't know.

14 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

And that is just the boats in sanctioned racing some of the real top end boats are either at the Lake of the Ozarks shoot out or just doing poker runs where you can bring anything your wallet can bare.

There were some amazing machines. One of the teams was in the bar we were at and we got talking with them. The owner was hilarious. I can't think of his name but his daughter ended up being roomate to one of my buddy's daughters. He ended up getting killed in a boat accident a couple years later. I'll try to find his name. Fairly famous guy.

Edited by s pump

1 hour ago, s pump said:

There were some amazing machines. One of the teams was in the bar we were at and we got talking with them. The owner was hilarious. I can't think of his name but his daughter ended up being roomate to one of my buddy's daughters. He ended up getting killed in a boat accident a couple years later. I'll try to find his name. Fairly famous guy.

Not one of the Lavin brothers? Drove the boat Jesse James? They were from the CT shore. There was also a husband wife team who drove a Sutphen called She Devil.

1 hour ago, s pump said:

Not one of the Lavin brothers? Drove the boat Jesse James? They were from the CT shore. There was also a husband wife team who drove a Sutphen called She Devil.

9 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Al Copeland  ( Popeyes ) and Mike Fiore ( Outerlimits ) both died in boating accidents. 

No Al died from an illness. When Al was looking to take Popeye's Chicken nation wide the bank that loaned him the money said no loan if he didn't quit boat racing. Fiore was always out to far on the edge he was lucky to make it as far as he did.  The guy who started HTM died in one of his prototypes. Been a bunch of guys hurt or killed a few of them friends..... it's a tough game.

Edited by Carlos Danger

9 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

No Al died from an illness. When Al was looking to take Popeye's Chicken nation wide the bank that loaned him the money said no loan if he didn't quit boat racing. Fiore was always out to far on the edge he was lucky to make it as far as he did.  The guy who started HTM died in one of his prototypes. Been a bunch of guys hurt or killed a few of them friends..... it's a tough game.

Yes, Copeland got crushed in a couple of bad accidents, but eventually did die from cancer. 

3 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Yes, Copeland got crushed in a couple of bad accidents, but eventually did die from cancer. 

Al had some really innovative ideas when it came to boats. He had a big cat that ran outboard power heads hooked up in series to a stearn drive via a common drive shaft. 

2 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Al had some really innovative ideas when it came to boats. He had a big cat that ran outboard power heads hooked up in series to a stearn drive via a common drive shaft. 

Why do all these guys claim bankruptcy???

Copeland, Fountain...……...both lost their businesses. Fukkin showoff bastids. 

Fountain owned over 300 rental units in NC. Said if he had saved just 10 million dollars, he could have saved his company.

Flamboyant punks, both of them. 

Don Aronow was also a big Miami punk. 

12 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Why do all these guys claim bankruptcy???

Copeland, Fountain...……...both lost their businesses. Fukkin showoff bastids. 

Fountain owned over 300 rental units in NC. Said if he had saved just 10 million dollars, he could have saved his company.

Flamboyant punks, both of them. 

Don Aronow was also a big Miami punk. 

I spent some time with Reggie and I found him and his son to be taxing. I think by their nature many of them are risk takers. Plus the best way to make a small fortune in boat racing is to start with a large one.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I spent some time with Reggie and I found him and his son to be taxing. I think by their nature many of them are risk takers. Plus the best way to make a small fortune in boat racing is to start with a large one.

TAXING? What you really want to say is, THEY SUCKED!! 

I think he has two sons, Wyatt, and Reggie Jr.???

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

No I don't think that was him. He'd be older. His daughter was in college around 10 yrs ago.

1 minute ago, s pump said:

Didn't he kill someone at a race too? He was the Popeyes guy?

Copeland was the POPEYE'S guy, but I can't remember if he killed somebody. 

1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

Copeland was the POPEYE'S guy, but I can't remember if he killed somebody. 

yah, I was googling to find the guy I met and think I read the Popeyes team kill another driver in a practice session.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Speedboats died in the Midwest right around 2008.   Damn they were hot for a while.   Good friends use to sell 100 Baja's a year.   Nice boat for the money.   Then it went to cruisers now its pontoons.   They are selling some Bennington's that are close to $300K.   Fucking insane. 

58 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Speedboats died in the Midwest right around 2008.   Damn they were hot for a while.   Good friends use to sell 100 Baja's a year.   Nice boat for the money.   Then it went to cruisers now its pontoons.   They are selling some Bennington's that are close to $300K.   Fucking insane. 

When an outboard engine can cost more than a new half ton, prices get out of hand. 

• Like 1

At one of our 1000 Islands poker runs a few years back, some crazy mofo ran a pontoon boat with several outboards that did over 100 mph. Kinda weird watching a barge go by at that speed. We talked to him when he was tied up in Kingston, and he mentioned that he had to be vary careful with waves and trim level, cause the front wanted to lift badly if he hit the waves wrong. Way more of a thrill seeker and risk taker than I could ever be..

I have to acknowledge that Fountain did build some beautiful boats. He also was a great boat racer. True dat. Kind of a promoter-type of person, but he was a phenomenal racer/builder.  

32 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I have to acknowledge that Fountain did build some beautiful boats. He also was a great boat racer. True dat. Kind of a promoter-type of person, but he was a phenomenal racer/builder.  

So at the place I worked years ago we had the very first Fountain. The first boat was called an exsacutioner and was actually designed by Gary Gilbreath who used to run OMC performance division. Gary was the brains behind the things that made Fountain great like the vent pad bottom and the nose on the bow that is the signature of the brand.