Check your account email address ×

Crazy tech of the lunar rover almost 50 years ago

Mass and payloadEdit

The Lunar Roving Vehicle had a mass of 460 pounds (210 kg), and was designed to hold a payload of 1,080 pounds (490 kg).[20] This resulted in weights in the approximately one-sixth g on the lunar surface of 77 pounds-force (35 kgf) empty (curb weight) and 255 pounds-force (115.7 kgf) fully loaded (gross vehicle weight). The frame was 10 feet (3.0 m) long with a wheelbase of 7.5 feet (2.3 m). The height of the vehicle was 3.6 feet (1.1 m). The frame was made of 2219 aluminium alloytubing welded assemblies and consisted of a three-part chassis that was hinged in the center so it could be folded up and hung in the Lunar Module Quadrant 1 bay, which was kept open to space by omission of the outer skin panel. It had two side-by-side foldable seats made of tubular aluminium with nylon webbing and aluminum floor panels. An armrest was mounted between the seats, and each seat had adjustable footrests and a Velcro-fastened seat belt. A large mesh dish antenna was mounted on a mast on the front center of the rover. The suspension consisted of a double horizontal wishbone with upper and lower torsion bars and a damper unit between the chassis and upper wishbone. Fully loaded, the LRV had a ground clearance of 14 inches (36 cm).

Wheels and powerEdit

220px-Lunar_Roving_Vehicle_wheel_close-u
Close-up of wheel showing chevron treads

The wheels were designed and manufactured by General Motors Defense Research Laboratories in Santa Barbara, California.[21]Ferenc Pavlics was given special recognition by NASA for developing the "resilient wheel".[22]They consisted of a spun aluminum hub and a 32-inch (81 cm) diameter, 9-inch (23 cm) wide tire made of zinc-coated woven 0.033-inch (0.84 mm) diameter steel strands attached to the rim and discs of formed aluminum. Titanium chevrons covered 50% of the contact area to provide traction. Inside the tire was a 25.5-inch (65 cm) diameter bump stop frame to protect the hub. Dust guards were mounted above the wheels. Each wheel had its own electric drive made by Delco, a direct current(DC) series-wound motor capable of 0.25 horsepower (190 W) at 10,000 rpm, attached to the wheel via an 80:1 harmonic drive, and a mechanical brake unit. Each wheel could free-wheel in case of drive failure.

Maneuvering capability was provided through the use of front and rear steering motors. Each series-wound DC steering motor was capable of 0.1 horsepower (75 W). The front and rear wheels could pivot in opposite directions to achieve a tight turning radius of 10 feet (3 m), or could be decoupled so only front or rear would be used for steering.

Power was provided by two 36-volt silver-zincpotassium hydroxide non-rechargeable batteries with a charge capacity of 121 A·heach (a total of 242 A·h), yielding a range of 57 miles (92 km).[15] These were used to power the drive and steering motors and also a 36-volt utility outlet mounted on the front of the LRV to power the communications relay unit or the TV camera. LRV batteries and electronics were passively cooled, using change-of-phase wax thermal capacitor packages and reflective, upward-facing radiating surfaces. While driving, radiators were covered with mylar blankets to minimize dust accumulation. When stopped, the astronauts would open the blankets, and manually remove excess dust from the cooling surfaces with hand brushes.

Control and navigationEdit

220px-Lunar_Rover_diagram.png
Lunar Rover diagram (NASA)
220px-James_Webb_lunar_drivers_license.j
Honorary lunar driver's license presented to then NASA Administrator James E. Webb

A T-shaped hand controller situated between the two seats controlled the four drive motors, two steering motors, and brakes. Moving the stick forward powered the LRV forward, left and right turned the vehicle left or right, and pulling backwards activated the brakes. Activating a switch on the handle before pulling back would put the LRV into reverse. Pulling the handle all the way back activated a parking brake. The control and display modules were situated in front of the handle and gave information on the speed, heading, pitch, and power and temperature levels.

Navigation was based on continuously recording direction and distance through use of a directional gyro and odometer and feeding this data to a computer that would keep track of the overall direction and distance back to the LM. There was also a Sun-shadow device that could give a manual heading based on the direction of the Sun, using the fact that the Sun moved very slowly in the sky.

Edited by spin_dry

33 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

interesting the battery was exposed to space and still functioned.

Aluminum foil, wax, and clear plastic. House hold materials. :lol:  

The engineered solutions back then were ingenious..

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

How do you explain the reflector left on the moon?

Nothing was left there it’s a figment of your imagination..

3 minutes ago, SSFB said:

tenor.gif

You’re a sheep 🐑 bahhhhhh

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

I.m probably one of the few who doesn't knock you for your take on things like this.... but you gotta help me out, and answers like that do anything but help....

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

I.m probably one of the few who doesn't knock you for your take on things like this.... but you gotta help me out, and answers like that do anything but help....

You went ape shit on me the other day. That’s why I responded like I did. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

1 minute ago, jtssrx said:

You went ape shit on me the other day. That’s why I responded like I did. 

Just now, Snake said:

Cuz. You. Ain't. Helping. Me.

:lol:

:gfight:

16 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

I'm more skeptical of my news sources than you are of yours. :news:

Friend was an engineer working on that thing.  Drawings and calculations were obviously done by hand.   The mechanical drafting guides rolled up nicely to fit inside a thermos.:)

One thing to note was how all the various teams tied their engineering together.  None of them met with the other teams.  They didn't officially know who else was working on the project. (He said Officially, because we knew the style of writing submissions and drawings)  Each team was given a component to design and build.  They had a rough idea of how it should work with the other components.  But, nothing in concrete detail.  Handled like a military design build project.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Friend was an engineer working on that thing.  Drawings and calculations were obviously done by hand.   The mechanical drafting guides rolled up nicely to fit inside a thermos.:)

One thing to note was how all the various teams tied their engineering together.  None of them met with the other teams.  They didn't officially know who else was working on the project. (He said Officially, because we knew the style of writing submissions and drawings)  Each team was given a component to design and build.  They had a rough idea of how it should work with the other components.  But, nothing in concrete detail.  Handled like a military design build project.

:goodpost:

33 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Cool shit. The engineers back then were amazing problem solvers. Thanks for posting that. I saw the rover when I was younger. It fascinated me. What I always thought was so cool is how it basically folded in half and became the outer wall of the lower stage of the lunar lander. The moon program touched almost everyone. Everyone knew someone that worked on the project. Whether it was machining a rocket nozzle or assembling a switch. There were hundreds of not thousands of companies involved. 

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Proof. 

There is lots of proof that this didn’t happen. Some physical some opinion based. Again it doesn’t matter what I post people won’t except it. Look at this virus as an example. It doesn’t matter that the infections/deaths are no where near what they claimed they would be. The people that bought in are still pushing the dooms day agenda and will continue to because admitting they were wrong tears apart their belief system

6 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

There is lots of proof that this didn’t happen. Some physical some opinion based. Again it doesn’t matter what I post people won’t except it. Look at this virus as an example. It doesn’t matter that the infections/deaths are no where near what they claimed they would be. The people that bought in are still pushing the dooms day agenda and will continue to because admitting they were wrong tears apart their belief system

Post one thing of proof that is physical and not opinion and I'll look at it.   I think I have a pretty open mind about things.

Remember the bold goes both ways.   I posted a video of them testing curvature of the earth with a laser over water that proved a drop and if I recall you called it bogus. 

24 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Opinion based proof? O.o