Check your account email address ×

The shittiest day of the shitiest year

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 4/4/2020 at 6:33 AM, steve from amherst said:

Had to put down my best friend yesterday

Jake, 8 yr old lab . Got cancer about 2-1/2 months ago. Unfortunatly ( or maybe fortunately) it moved fast.

Jake.jpg

Sorry to hear this.  God speed to him.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spin_dry said:

This made me reflect on the countless dogs I’ve had over the years. Mostly top shelf pure breads. The one dog that I’d consider my canine soulmate was keisha. A lab/collie mix that was a rescue. She came to me at 7yo. I lost her just shy of 15yo. There will never be another like her. We looked at each other at the rescue and it was a done deal. I have no idea who had her before, but she was very well trained. Probably professionally. I’ve always wondered about her previous live. 

I’ve lost five and have three now.  All were my children but, two were very special to me.  Some just have the ability to connect at a different level.  I miss them all but, those two are missed the most.  

11 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Real sorry to hear. ...been through it many times, never gets easier. Tried chemo on one of my cancerous dogs once but doubt I would do that again, the treatment may have prolonged the inevitable slightly but seemed to make her highstrung and uncomfortable. My Pug died on my lap two hours into my 5 hour drive home from snowmobile camp but it was a fitting ending as she always loved that drive to and from. Kinda had the weekend at Bernie thing going on when I paid the toll on NYS Thruway with her still on my lap covered in tears. It was a brutal 3 hours. 

Yup....may contribute to heart problems it seems. I steer clear of the grain-free products now.

Yeah....there is speculation by my own vet that vaccines may be some causes of kidney troubles in cats.

And my rescue dog now has IMHA....an immune malfunction in which the red blood cells destroy  each other. She nearly died 6 weeks ago and had to undergo a blood transfusion.(I never knew they did that on dogs) Now is on prednisone and cyclosporine to suppress her immune system but these drugs are making her weak and wasting away her muscle mass . Still a 50/50 chance she pulls through this... $5k and counting.....now slowly starting to wean her off the drugs and hopefully  she won't have a relapse. They say the cause is hardly ever determined but can be triggered by tick bites or even vaccines.  She is now exempt from all vaccines including rabies shots as these can trigger an immune response relapse.

Sorry to hear about all that. That has to be tough!

We currently don't have any pets but we have a cat that comes around quite often visiting and hanging out so I guess that fills the void? With our next pet, most likely a cat, I am going to think long and hard when it comes to shots and the like. Our last cat came down with diabetes fast. He was active, happy, etc, then it seemed out of no where, it hit. Maybe that's how diabetes works, I don't know, but it seemed very sudden to me. 

5 minutes ago, irv said:

Sorry to hear about all that. That has to be tough!

We currently don't have any pets but we have a cat that comes around quite often visiting and hanging out so I guess that fills the void? With our next pet, most likely a cat, I am going to think long and hard when it comes to shots and the like. Our last cat came down with diabetes fast. He was active, happy, etc, then it seemed out of no where, it hit. Maybe that's how diabetes works, I don't know, but it seemed very sudden to me. 

I like cats...just cool animals to me.  This one kept coming over from the neighbors who didn’t take care of him.  My wife, against my judgment, snatched him up one day and had him fixed and all shots updated.  One day he never left.  

He’s my little fat shop helper.

64B3D350-F8A8-4B87-8651-419AB217B2A3.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I like cats...just cool animals to me.  This one kept coming over from the neighbors who didn’t take care of him.  My wife, against my judgment, snatched him up one day and had him fixed and all shots updated.  One day he never left.  

He’s my little fat shop helper.

64B3D350-F8A8-4B87-8651-419AB217B2A3.jpeg

Cool! :bc:

Our last cat would do that somewhat with me but nothing like the cat before that. I called him my garage buddy because anytime he seen me heading out there, he just had to follow.

Even at our old house with a detached garage, if he seen me heading out there, which he seemed to know the difference between that and running some errands, he had to come out with me. He'd snoop around some but basically just wandered close to me or just laid on chair watching me. Of all the cats/pets I've owned, he was the least afraid of the noise when I'd fire the sled or whatever. I named him Norton after Norton on The Honeymooners" as he was just as crazy, but was an awesome cat nonetheless.  

Norton2.jpg

Norton frog1.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I’ve lost five and have three now.  All were my children but, two were very special to me.  Some just have the ability to connect at a different level.  I miss them all but, those two are missed the most.  

I hear ya there. This dude just learned shit without being told. I never taught him to guard the chickens. He made it his job. If he heard a noise up at the coop he would fly up there. If there was no problem he would sit 8 ft in front of it for an hr and just scan the whole yard. 

He would come 1/2 way down the driveway everyday when I was driving home to great me. 

He was almost like my little brother.

• Sad 1

Ever notice how dogs know when it's the weekend?

I work const/ service . Im always in the same clothes weekday or weekend. But this dog knew the days we were going to be with him all day. mon - fri he was cool with us leaving. 

Sat-sun , if we left without taking him , he was pissed.

9 minutes ago, irv said:

Cool! :bc:

Our last cat would do that somewhat with me but nothing like the cat before that. I called him my garage buddy because anytime he seen me heading out there, he just had to follow.

Even at our old house with a detached garage, if he seen me heading out there, which he seemed to know the difference between that and running some errands, he had to come out with me. He'd snoop around some but basically just wandered close to me or just laid on chair watching me. Of all the cats/pets I've owned, he was the least afraid of the noise when I'd fire the sled or whatever. I named him Norton after Norton on The Honeymooners" as he was just as crazy, but was an awesome cat nonetheless.  

Norton2.jpg

Norton frog1.JPG

Some cats think they are dogs.  My little fat buddy is one.  It’s weird.  He goes out right with the rest and hangs with them.

87A6DA32-1700-4938-8657-F9739BF7A205.jpeg

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I hear ya there. This dude just learned shit without being told. I never taught him to guard the chickens. He made it his job. If he heard a noise up at the coop he would fly up there. If there was no problem he would sit 8 ft in front of it for an hr and just scan the whole yard. 

He would come 1/2 way down the driveway everyday when I was driving home to great me. 

He was almost like my little brother.

Some are just able to connect at a human level better.

• Like 1

They definitely are characters. This guy would be lying in the back seat and everytime you put the turn signal he'd get up to look. Sometimes I would put it on for fun and watch him get up. There were times I would turn without signaling and he'd look at me like wtf lol. I guess he wanted to make sure we were going the right way lol

FB_IMG_1585579521086.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smokin george said:

They definitely are characters. This guy would be lying in the back seat and everytime you put the turn signal he'd get up to look. Sometimes I would put it on for fun and watch him get up. There were times I would turn without signaling and he'd look at me like wtf lol. I guess he wanted to make sure we were going the right way lol

FB_IMG_1585579521086.jpg

nice dog

• Thanks 1