Check your account email address ×

Doomsday numbers don't add up

I know most here aren't big fans of good news but maybe give it a shot. I don't want to hear a bunch of Shapiro s*** He's been as critical or more critical than most of Trump over the beginning of this

https://www.dailywire.com/news/curl-covid-19-in-the-u-s-doomsday-numbers-just-dont-add-up?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Edited by washedupmxer

• Platinum Contributing Member

Reality or common sense says is it does raise some valid questions.   I had not heard any predictions this dire in the US.    Have heard as many as 750,000K and Bernie said as many as the US lost in WW2 4-500,000. 

Worst-case scenario, COVID-19 could infect between up to 214 million people over a period of more than a year — and kill as many as 1.7 million Americans.

The New York Times used an even more dire model: 2.1 million dead.

Let’s back up a second. China has a population of 1,437,722,468 as of Tuesday, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data.

COVID-19 was born there, with the first case being diagnosed on Dec. 1.

On Tuesday, there were 81,054 confirmed cases of the virus, according to Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

Of those, 68,798 recovered, while 3,230 people died (the remainder were still active cases).

So that means the infection rate in China was just .006%. How, then, are the “experts” forecasting that well more than 50% of the 320 million people in America — where people already wash their hands incessantly and use Purell nonstop — will be infected?

Again, look at the numbers. The virus pounded China from December through the third week of February — more than 10 weeks in all — before it leveled off (if you can believe the communist leaders’ claim).

In the Hubei province, just more than 11% of the nearly 60 million residents were infected. And that was ground zero.

The spread of COVID-19 in China began leveling off a week before February ended. It topped 80,000 on March 1, but 14 days later it was still less than 81,000. The curve had flattened

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Reality or common sense says is it does raise some valid questions.

Worst-case scenario, COVID-19 could infect between up to 214 million people over a period of more than a year — and kill as many as 1.7 million Americans.

The New York Times used an even more dire model: 2.1 million dead.

Let’s back up a second. China has a population of 1,437,722,468 as of Tuesday, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data.

COVID-19 was born there, with the first case being diagnosed on Dec. 1.

On Tuesday, there were 81,054 confirmed cases of the virus, according to Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

Of those, 68,798 recovered, while 3,230 people died (the remainder were still active cases).

So that means the infection rate in China was just .006%. How, then, are the “experts” forecasting that well more than 50% of the 320 million people in America — where people already wash their hands incessantly and use Purell nonstop — will be infected?

Again, look at the numbers. The virus pounded China from December through the third week of February — more than 10 weeks in all — before it leveled off (if you can believe the communist leaders’ claim).

In the Hubei province, just more than 11% of the nearly 60 million residents were infected. And that was ground zero.

The spread of COVID-19 in China began leveling off a week before February ended. It topped 80,000 on March 1, but 14 days later it was still less than 81,000. The curve had flattened

Ive seen reports where infected #s were much higher. But who knows at this point.

Just now, Redheaded Stepchild said:

Ive seen reports where infected #s were much higher. But who knows at this point.

Question is how long must we operate this status to achieve a relatively low impact?   

5 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

More China stats highmark ...??  :flush:

Its from the article.   Not saying I believe anything out of China but I'd look at our previous outbreaks and actions.   In 2009 it was estimated 61 million Americans acquired H1N1 and we did relatively NOTHING to stop the spread.   Yeah this might be more contagious but the attempt to stop the spread is unprecedented in American life.

If this still infects 200 million American's then there is no hope for a really serious one.   It will kill 1/4 of the worlds population. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

Just now, washedupmxer said:

You believe what comes from China?

Lets be honest we all hope that there is some truth here. But I remain skeptical of anything from China. 

3 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

More China stats highmark ...??  :flush:

I'm going with them. 

I refuse to believe the best human health minds we have would willingly distribute inaccurate propaganda 

Edited by washedupmxer

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Its from the article.   Not saying I believe anything out of China but in 2009 it was estimated 61 million Americans acquired H1N1 and we did relatively NOTHING to stop the spread.

Bah ...

1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

I'm going with them. 

I refuse to believe the best human health minds we have we re distribute inaccurate propaganda 

China owns/runs the WHO.

2 minutes ago, Redheaded Stepchild said:

Quoted the wrong post. You could still answer the question.

I just did another post

6 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

I'm going with them. 

I refuse to believe the best human health minds we have would willingly distribute inaccurate propaganda 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Its from the article.   Not saying I believe anything out of China but I'd look at our previous outbreaks and actions.   In 2009 it was estimated 61 million Americans acquired H1N1 and we did relatively NOTHING to stop the spread.   Yeah this might be more contagious but the attempt to stop the spread is unprecedented in American life.

If this still infects 200 million American's then there is no hope for a really serious one.   It will kill 3/4 of the worlds population. 

H1N1 had a low mortality rate. Lower than seasonal  flu. 

1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

You're welcome to believe what you want and I'll do the same. Neither of us really know 

I believe numbers from the West. Top Docs here say it's going to over run our hospitals big time if we stay status quo.

Just now, spin_dry said:

H1N1 had a low mortality rate. Lower than seasonal  flu. 

More comparing the number infected predictions based on how many got H1N1.  We did nothing then and it didn't infect 200 million...not even close.    If the numbers are accurate.   

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

I believe numbers from the West. Top Docs here say it's going to over run our hospitals big time if we stay status quo.

My numbers are from the west as well.

I don't believe all doctors are on board with you're saying and there is quite a bit of disagreement. 

Edited by washedupmxer

Just now, washedupmxer said:

That's what you guys think about what Sweden's doing? 

Would it scare the living s*** out of you if we did that? 

What are they doing different than us?