Check your account email address ×

Trailer tires, how many miles?

Anyone? I'm talking snowmobile trailers with small wheels, deck over. I'm guessing around 7000-8000 miles on mine. One is ok, the other looks like it's been over inflated its whole life, which it hasn't been. 45-50 psi since new.

Just seeing what to expect. I use the trailer year round.

16 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Anyone? I'm talking snowmobile trailers with small wheels, deck over. I'm guessing around 7000-8000 miles on mine. One is ok, the other looks like it's been over inflated its whole life, which it hasn't been. 45-50 psi since new.

Just seeing what to expect. I use the trailer year round.

I get over 30000miles easily on my enclosed that I put quads in...trailer tires usually dont come balanced and I get mine done so they wear evenly.

6 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

How old are the tires?  If they 6years old or more, replace them 

4 years old maybe. I bought them from a member here. They're not balanced. The trailer has had a wobble at slow speeds when empty since I mounted them.

I have been told that where you park the trailer will also make a difference. Apparently parking a trailer on grass is not good for the tires and will rot them out much sooner than for example an asphalt driveway. Another factor is UV exposure. Most sled trailers the tires are tucked in under the bed and protected compared to a lot of others. Our boat trailer doesn't have a whole lot of miles on it but does have years. It's a tandem axle trailer fortunately since the two front tires have had large sections of tread peel off. It was from age rather than miles.

Not one answer fits. Road conditions temps of surface and climate. Loading of trailer axle condition and more.

Imo if it looks worn then it is buy a tire rim combo and keep the existing for additional spare. I. Buy from trailer depot.com every other year. Cheap compared to my safety next to a road

• Like 1

I'll use them up this summer and buy new before winter.  I'll get tires with wheels this time and have a couple spares, not a bad idea since I have no idea where my spare disappeared too.  It may have been in the back of my Chevy when I sold it, there was 2 feet of snow in the bed and on the cab.

• Like 1

• Gold Member

I bought a nice 3 place Flow branded as a Polaris new in 2005.

When I picked up my 2 new Axys in 2014 I noticed all the lug nuts were rusted to the point I would never be able to change to a spare on the side of the road so I replaced the tire's and the hubs.

The tires looked fine, I just didn't trust them after 10 years.

I figure I had around 5-6 k miles on them. Now I removed the old tires from the hubs in the shop I have 2 spares.

38 minutes ago, joesale said:

I bought a nice 3 place Flow branded as a Polaris new in 2005.

When I picked up my 2 new Axys in 2014 I noticed all the lug nuts were rusted to the point I would never be able to change to a spare on the side of the road so I replaced the tire's and the hubs.

The tires looked fine, I just didn't trust them after 10 years.

I figure I had around 5-6 k miles on them. Now I removed the old tires from the hubs in the shop I have 2 spares.

Why not just replace the studs rather than the whole hub?

• Gold Member

The seals were shot and the bearings were rusted. So it would have been a show stopper on the side of the road either way if I hadn't done anything. Plus I was able to upgrade the weight limit of the trailer by getting a higher rated tire.

56 minutes ago, joesale said:

The seals were shot and the bearings were rusted. So it would have been a show stopper on the side of the road either way if I hadn't done anything. Plus I was able to upgrade the weight limit of the trailer by getting a higher rated tire.

Not legally....

27 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

I concur..that's a axle thing right?

Maybe its different in the States but here in Canada...you cant change the factory weight rating of the trailer.