Check your account email address ×

As Tensions Rise Over Defense Costs, U.S. Walks Out Of Talks With South Korea

• Platinum Contributing Member

In an escalating dispute over how much allies should pay the U.S. to station troops on their soil, U.S. negotiators walked out on talks with South Korea in Seoul on Tuesday, as the two sides staked out vastly differing positions and accused the other side of being unreasonable.

The Trump administration reportedly is demanding that Seoul, a key ally, contribute around $5 billion for the coming year to cover the cost of the roughly 28,500 U.S. troops based in South Korea. That's more than five times what South Korea agreed to contribute earlier this year, and Seoul is pushing back hard. South Korean and U.S. officials would not confirm the amount to NPR.

The defense cost issue is putting stress not seen in years on a decades-old alliance and is drawing attention to the difficulty of putting a dollar value on the broad costs and benefits involved in military alliances.

At the heart of the issue is the Trump administration's contention that wealthy allies, including South Korea, are "freeloading" off the U.S. and spending too little for their own defense. Trump has suggested that U.S. troops could be withdrawn from the Korean Peninsula.

1 minute ago, bussman said:

I expect all the resident “we shouldn’t be world’s police” to be supporting this and posting about their agreement with Trump on this......

I’m game for us leaving. :bc: 

Trump doesnt want to bring them home

He wants to charge for their mercenary service

Fucking stupid Trump loving retard

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Trump doesnt want to bring them home

He wants to charge for their mercenary service

Fucking stupid Trump loving retard

Trouble reading? I’ll repeat it. 

I’m game for us leaving. 

You can keep all that negative energy you put out, I will never accept it. We get back what we put out, remember that. :bc: 

• Gold Member
38 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Maybe the US businesses there should pay?

If South Korea wants to tax them and they stay there.....  sure!!!!  That would be on South Korea

Edited by BOHICA