Check your account email address ×

Remembrance/Veterans Day.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

That’s cool.

Yeah,  really big accomplishment for him.  
A lot of the guys who did this are still suffering today.  Some couldn’t even talk about it .  Waiting to die , so they can stop reliving it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Maybe would be interested in this. 
My dad spent 3 years researching and writing this book.  Fictional character, but all true events. Not a dope smoking,  women raping , child killing, Hollywood version of Vietnam. These guys did a hell of a service and it was never talked about. 

D58EC962-E85D-4711-9AA9-8A9DA175154F.jpeg

He may already have seen that :dunno:

Is that a picture of your dad you posted? 

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

X2.  To the veterans.  :bc: 

My dad was in basic training when they signed the peace treaty during Korea.  He still went over there for a year. He got drafted late at 21 so he just was lucky and his name wasn't pulled until late. 

His two older brothers and some of his older cousins served in WW2. One of my uncle's fought the Germans , the other the Japs. Both Purple Heart recipients.  His one cousin that I know of was awarded the Bronze Star. I don't remember where it was but if IRRC , it had something to do with repairing comm wire and having to run thru machine gun fire to do it.   Had he not done that, they wouldn't have been able to get in touch with reinforcements and let them know their position and they all would have been killed. My mom's oldest brother was in the Army during Korea.  He was a tanker. He stayed in the reserves in the Michigan National Guard after Korea.  He retired a Sergeant Major. His BIL (his wife's older brother) was in the Army infantry in Korea.  I never talked to Ron about it, but my dad told me that he was in some pretty intense combat in Korea. Guy was a little goofy, I knew why after I was older and knew more about Korea.

One of my mom's younger brothers was drafted during Vietnam, but got lucky and was stationed in Germany.  His twin brother was denied for a medical issue. And then like I already said, my mom's BIL was with the 25th in Nam.  He was in some pretty intense fighting.  Never talked much about it but I know he was part of a group that captures a VC general in a battle. Some pics from his FB page.

FB_IMG_1573139864310.thumb.jpg.b879f291d2539030abc03b764eeda6c7.jpgFB_IMG_1573139987038.thumb.jpg.f2794c7933200474c6622ed052bc4bb2.jpgFB_IMG_1573139717998.thumb.jpg.2971a333f598f89aa5fc817b5c04d040.jpg

Not sure if this is from when they captured that VC general, but this is a flag that took along with prisoners during a fight. 

FB_IMG_1573140022790.thumb.jpg.03f97a3e4467ce1584d7e062ba39d907.jpg

FB_IMG_1573140130820.thumb.jpg.108a59c05df5fb806e1d14d03e892a21.jpg

• Like 3

My great uncle liberated one of the bigger camps in ww2 .  He had a shoe box full of photos my mom donated to the holocaust center..  some horrific ass shit.   The way people throw around the term Nazi now to describe people who use mean words, should all see them . 

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member

My uncle was in the Navy, another uncle in army in Korea, cousin's husband was a submariner, another cousin is active duty navy. Even have the discharge papers of my great great whatever grandfather from the civil war.  :bc:

• Thanks 1

My old man did two tours in VIetnam as one of the original Delta operators.  Col. Beckwith was actually his CO at the time.  For you that don't know, Beckwith went on to actually coin the name "Delta Force" and put it into operation within the Special Forces community.

His team.  2 KIA, 1 MIA

Delta Vietnam.jpg

I think he may have been a bit gay when posing for this :lmao: 

VN 66.jpg\

He had some amazing stories....Horrifying is more the word I guess.

This was his team ("these boys were real bitter".  YOU THINK?)

Newspaper (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

My great uncle liberated one of the bigger camps in ww2 .  He had a shoe box full of photos my mom donated to the holocaust center..  some horrific ass shit.   The way people throw around the term Nazi now to describe people who use mean words, should all see them . 

What’s a little scary is some of the younger generations seem to have forgotten some of the lessons of those wars.  I will leave it at that.  :bc: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

What’s a little scary is some of the younger generations seem to have forgotten some of the lessons of those wars.  I will leave it at that.  :bc: 

Yeah,   Those guys were just kids when they were thrown into those wars.  My youngest is 21 and I can’t imagine him storming any beaches or blasting it out in a jungle.