Check your account email address ×

Well said young Alyssa

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

No....what I'm saying is that the costs of everything from homes and cars to food and clothes is the same or cheaper now than 50 years ago. Yet we arent able to live the same lifestyle we did back then on a single income because wages have stagnated and manufacturing jobs have vanished

I think it's a function of our trade deficit.  It's NET US WEALTH leaving the country.  Been doing it for 30ish years to the tune of 3-5% of GDP. Those a big numbers, reducing our national wealth, and it trickles down to many kitchen tables.  

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

No....what I'm saying is that the costs of everything from homes and cars to food and clothes is the same or cheaper now than 50 years ago. Yet we arent able to live the same lifestyle we did back then on a single income because wages have stagnated and manufacturing jobs have vanished

What king of moron thinks they can live on a single income leave it to Beaver?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

I think it's a function of our trade deficit.  It's NET US WEALTH leaving the country.  Been doing it for 30ish years to the tune of 3-5% of GDP. Those a big numbers, reducing our national wealth, and it trickles down to many kitchen tables.  

Trade deficit huh.:lol:

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What king of moron thinks they can live on a single income leave it to Beaver?

Everyone 50 years ago you braindead fuck 

10 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

Partly for sure

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I don't think so Ward Cleaver.:lol:

Less than 25% of households had two fulltime workers in 1960. Today it's over 65%

Kill yourself 

Edited by f7ben

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Less than 25% of households had two fulltime workers in 1960. Today it's over 65%

Kill yourself 

So you are good to stay home and do housework?  Wife could, no financial issues as she makes well over 6 figures.  She doesn't work cause she needs to either. 

Now kill yourself.:lol:

My mom worked and basically carried the household.  

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So you are good to stay home and do housework?  Wife could, no financial issues as she makes well over 6 figures.  She doesn't work cause she needs to either. 

Now kill yourself.:lol:

My mom worked and basically carried the household.  

God damn you're a dumbass motherfucker 

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You really think the lifestyle of the 50's is even remotely like the one we have today?

No....I think a single earner family of 7 had it easier back then and i laid out exactly why. Now kill yourself 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

No....I think a single earner family of 7 had it easier back then and i laid out exactly why. Now kill yourself 

That single earner couldn't support our modern day lifestyle though.  They just lived more within their means.

10 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That single earner couldn't support our modern day lifestyle though.  They just lived more within their means.

Did you not read any of the thread?

My grandpa had a home , new vehicle , 7 kids , stay at home wife.....bought a lake lot and built a nice cabin. Took vacations every year. Kids all had dirt bikes and on and on and on. 

He was an uneducated draftsman and worked a bartending gig a couple nights a week. 

If I had 7 fucking kids and my wife didnt work I'd be poor and have nothing and I'm at the top of trades wage earners.

The collapse in earnings is not mainly a skills problem caused by the demands of a new computerized economy. After all, there has been no wage collapse for the least skilled in other developed countries. Rather, the problem is declining worker bargaining power in increasingly global and deregulated labor markets.

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Did you not read any of the thread?

My grandpa had a home , new vehicle , 7 kids , stay at home wife.....bought a lake lot and built a nice cabin. Took vacations every year. Kids all had dirt bikes and on and on and on. 

He was an uneducated draftsman and worked a bartending gig a couple nights a week. 

If I had 7 fucking kids and my wife didnt work I'd be poor and have nothing and I'm at the top of trades wage earners.

Yah, but even that from your grandpa doesn't sound like the norm.

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yah, but even that from your grandpa doesn't sound like the norm.

My grandpa was savvy and a hard worker but not completely the exception. I'm not saying they lived high on the hog but they had a good life and raised a huge family on one income. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 7/27/2019 at 7:49 PM, f7ben said:

It certainly has become skewed. You used to be able to afford a home , a new car and vacations and large families on a single income. You used to get the job that allowed for that right out of highschool. You used to be able to let your wife stay home and raise the kids 

Almost  none of those things are common now.

But but but everyone has iPhones and McDonalds cheeseburgers 

Come one guys.....use your brains

Sorry but that simply wasn't case for the vast, vast percentage of America.   Not sure where you got that unicorn fantasy-land bullshit but its simply not true.  

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Sorry but that simply wasn't case for the vast, vast percentage of America.   Not sure where you got that unicorn fantasy-land bullshit but its simply not true.  

In 1960 you got hired here in the mine at 18 and the mining companies had apprenticeships. Most production and manufacturing were the same.

Trades , unions ....the big 3 etc etc. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, f7ben said:

In 1960 you got hired here in the mine at 18 and the mining companies had apprenticeships. Most production and manufacturing were the same.

Trades , unions ....the big 3 etc etc. 

Well if it happened here at the mine it happened every single place in 'Merica.  :lol:  

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Well if it happened here at the mine it happened every single place in 'Merica.  :lol:  

Just an anecdotal example

Steel mills were the same 

My dad quit school in the 7th. grade and started to work, he never made more than 50 cents above minimum wage his whole life and he worked till he got injured at work when he was 74..you may not believe this but I started to work at age 9 in 1956, every day in the Summer and after school every day..