Check your account email address ×

08 2.4L Malibu stumble/stall issue?

10 hours ago, irv said:

I honestly don't know? I tried to spray them today but the engine wouldn't keep running with the black plastic cover removed. MAF to throttle body and another hose so I assumed they needed to be attached. Once back in place the car ran great. My only option is to remove them and look carefully but a bud said the car would still run if one was defective? 

6 minutes ago, DUMPY said:

In the dark, hose down the engine with it running. Wartch for rogue sparks. Probably a bad coil or spark plug wire 

Like above, I couldn't get the car to run with the black engine cover removed. In the daylight, I sprayed everywhere with a spritzer/BBQ spray bottle but not once did it stumble or stall. I did a few more things yesterday so I am going to try it again in a bit. No plug wires on this engine, just coils like these.

Malibu coils.jpg

IMO this is not an ignition problem.  That engine will run on two cylinders without stalling.  A bad coil or two would result in a rough running engine, flashing engine light and a P0300 code set in the ECM, but not a stall.  When the car stalls driving down the road does the instrument  cluster go dead also?  

28 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

IMO this is not an ignition problem.  That engine will run on two cylinders without stalling.  A bad coil or two would result in a rough running engine, flashing engine light and a P0300 code set in the ECM, but not a stall.  When the car stalls driving down the road does the instrument  cluster go dead also?  

What my bud also told me. 

On the 2nd bold, I am not 100% sure but I would assume it does as the car has no power. It has thrown some codes a few times, "Service ESC" "Service Traction" but that rarely happens. 

8 minutes ago, Snake said:

A real time scanner that can be used during instead of after the fact would be great as long as it also doesn't need codes to pinpoint the problems? 

Just now, irv said:

A real time scanner that can be used during instead of after the fact would be great as long as it also doesn't need codes to pinpoint the problems? 

It is real time. Dig into the torque app and see what it does.

Just now, Snake said:

It is real time. Dig into the torque app and see what it does.

I will look into one but I am terrible with apps and all that nonsense.

Thanks. :bc:

I got my son in law one for the hell of it. When I showed up there one day, my daughter had the hood up, and had just finished diagnosing a bad #5 coil and replaced it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, irv said:

I will look into one but I am terrible with apps and all that nonsense.

Very simplistic.

Allows logging so it will save the data over a period of time.

Edited by Snake

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Very simplistic.

Allows logging so it will save the data over a period of time.

Thanks again. I will definitely give it some thought. :bc:

I am now wondering about a possible dirty throttle body or possible throttle body electronics? If it were a moisture problem, why doesn't it act up right away but rather 5-10 minutes later? It seems to normally do this after a rain or wash but not until you have drive a few kms.

I know I am drawing at straws but is this a possibility even if it doesn't throw me any codes? 

1 hour ago, irv said:

I am now wondering about a possible dirty throttle body or possible throttle body electronics? If it were a moisture problem, why doesn't it act up right away but rather 5-10 minutes later? It seems to normally do this after a rain or wash but not until you have drive a few kms.

I know I am drawing at straws but is this a possibility even if it doesn't throw me any codes? 

Imma call crankshaft position sensor. My old 8.1 had same symptoms. Pain in the balls to change. 

22 minutes ago, s pump said:

Imma call crankshaft position sensor. My old 8.1 had same symptoms. Pain in the balls to change. 

I have been told that more than a few times now so I might just go ahead and do that? Supposedly they can act up and not throw a code. Seems odd but more than one has also told me that. It doesn't look too awfully bad on this car but of course that is all what you encounter doing it? (Vid below)

7 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Egr valve?

Hemis will do something similar.

No idea? Any idea where the EGR is located on this car? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1tPAXlTvFk

1 hour ago, stealth bomber said:

Doesn’t have one

Didn't think so as I have never heard that mentioned in all my digging. 

4 hours ago, irv said:

I have been told that more than a few times now so I might just go ahead and do that? Supposedly they can act up and not throw a code. Seems odd but more than one has also told me that. It doesn't look too awfully bad on this car but of course that is all what you encounter doing it? (Vid below)

No idea? Any idea where the EGR is located on this car? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1tPAXlTvFk

Yah on my 8.1 2500 HD GMC it was up on top of the of the rear of the motor. Too far back to get at it through the hood so I had to put it on the lift and do it from below. Got it about 1/2 way out and the top broke off. All that was left was the ribbon wires that go down to the sensor. Called the motor builder at the shop next door and he came over with a pair of pliers about 2 feet long with a 90 degree bend on the last 6 inches. He said if I broke off the wires, I'd have to pull the motor and disassemble it to get it out. He wouldn't touch it. It took a lot of force to get it out but it finally did. Buncha videos on Youtube doing from the top with a piece of wire though.

51 minutes ago, s pump said:

Yah on my 8.1 2500 HD GMC it was up on top of the of the rear of the motor. Too far back to get at it through the hood so I had to put it on the lift and do it from below. Got it about 1/2 way out and the top broke off. All that was left was the ribbon wires that go down to the sensor. Called the motor builder at the shop next door and he came over with a pair of pliers about 2 feet long with a 90 degree bend on the last 6 inches. He said if I broke off the wires, I'd have to pull the motor and disassemble it to get it out. He wouldn't touch it. It took a lot of force to get it out but it finally did. Buncha videos on Youtube doing from the top with a piece of wire though.

Who ever designed that set up was a fucking complete homosexual  :flush:

59 minutes ago, s pump said:

Glad you got lucky! :bc: