Check your account email address ×

Password Managers like LastPass & Dashlane etc...

Kivalo

• Gold Member

With Yahoo's latest security breach forcing me to change an assload of passwords I was wondering if anyone used any of the password managers that are out there? Is it worth it to sign up?  What are the pros and cons?

16 minutes ago, ckf said:

I use the password manager that's on my FireFox browser.

Just downloaded it.  Looks better than the built in stuff with Chrome and IE.

12 minutes ago, 02sled said:

At one time I set my password to be "incorrect". That way if I got the password wrong I would get a pop up message saying

your password is incorrect

impossible to not get it right after that.

You worked far to long in the data center.

11 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Just downloaded it.  Looks better than the built in stuff with Chrome and IE.

You worked far to long in the data center.

I had far too many passwords... at one time I had 123 different passwords for different systems with different requirements.... the worst was network administration with a minimum 16 characters, 2 or more upper case and 2 or more numbers and the numbers couldn't be consecutive.

22 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I had far too many passwords... at one time I had 123 different passwords for different systems with different requirements.... the worst was network administration with a minimum 16 characters, 2 or more upper case and 2 or more numbers and the numbers couldn't be consecutive.

What I really hate are some sites, not even financial or personal that won't let you use your last 15 passwords or so.  In other words, you tell me what password I should use cause I ran out of my list.

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What I really hate are some sites, not even financial or personal that won't let you use your last 15 passwords or so.  In other words, you tell me what password I should use cause I ran out of my list.

I used to have one system that you had to change it monthly. But you could get away with a minor change. I used Baxter1 in January, then changed it to Baxter2 in February and son on until I hit December with Baxter12 then I was able to start the cycle again.

It's sometimes crazy how some of the most unimportant systems have requirements to change passwords on a regular basis then you have perhaps something like a bank that lets you keep the same one for years.

Edited by 02sled

3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I used to have one system that you had to change it monthly. But you could get away with a minor change. I used Baxter1 in January, then changed it to Baxter2 in February and son on until I hit December with Baxter12 then I was able to start the cycle again.

It's sometimes crazy how some of the most unimportant systems have requirements to change passwords on a regular basis then you have perhaps something like a bank that lets you keep the same one for years.

We have the readout device with our banking that you must enter the code it displays along with a password.  First time I saw that was at a customer site where everyone needed to do that to log into their computer.  What a pain. 

18 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I have an app on my phone, but do not use it.  I should just use and password protected file and store it on my Dropbox with all the passwords I use.

Which could easily be hacked :flush: 

Just now, Momorider said:

Analers pad of paper and pen can't be hacked :) 

Are you sure about that? I could fly my drone just outside his window and take some pics of his password list :lol2:

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

Just about anything can be hacked if the hacker has the time and knowledge to do so.

For sure but most financial will ask for real-time verification by text or email before transfers etc although there would be trace regardless.