Check your account email address ×

So I wasn't born an Afghani - Liberal MP

ArcticCrusher

14 hours ago, Sksman said:

Fail its so nice to see your back.

I believe politicians should have to have some proof of business worth before Being nominated by a party to be elected.  I do not believe the largest business (the government) should be run by people with no understanding or no back ground in any industry at all  when they are responsible for setting policy that impacts our economy.  

Look at your hero Wynne.  No experience in business and crippling Ontario with stupid policy.  Unless you work for government and love it.

What valuable skills does Monsef bring to table?  Fradulant Afghani refugee claim, part time failed window washer, failed mayoral candidate, Volunter for disposed Afghan refugees in Iran, etc.  No relevant experience.  The people of Peterborough got it right once when they did not elect her as mayor.  Too bad they dropped the ball second time around.

Sorry if you think I am biased but i want people with real experience in industry setting government policy.  Why the fuck would we have a housewife from  Kenora setting economic policy?  Or a part time literature professor as Transportation minister?

Our government needs experienced professionals not feel good social experiments.

woooosh

Stephen Harper = zero  experience = best PM ever

Tim Hudak = son of a Teacher and Principal = worked for Walmart as a  traveling Manager = Progressive  Conservative Leader = your vote

Mike Harris = ski instructor = Math teacher = golf course employee = politician = your vote

Patrick Brown = Politician at age 20 = Next Ontario Leader and your vote

I think you are wrong with your beliefs and will continue to vote Conservative in every election regardless of the candidates business experience.  Who are your local candidates?  lets look up their qualification

Wynne = stripped contracts = froze wages = exactly what you want from a Politician :dunno:

Justin Trudeau = (fill in the blank)

All the Liberal "back room guys" were looking @ when he was anointed leader was his last name. 

Then you have the pisstank representing Markham-Thornhill. Supposedly he was an economist for RBC. 

Edited by revrnd

47 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Justin Trudeau = (fill in the blank)

All the Liberal "back room guys" were looking @ when he was anointed leader was his last name. 

Then you have the pisstank representing Markham-Thornhill. Supposedly he was an economist for RBC. 

Would that be the crypt keeper?  Pretty sure he does not know what day of the week it is.  One of the best LibTard MPs nevertheless.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Would that be the crypt keeper?  Pretty sure he does not know what day of the week it is.  One of the best LibTard MPs nevertheless.

Yeah he can ramble on when asked a question & talk in circles if that's what you call being a great MP. Crypt keeper LOL, I'm more inclined to call him the bar keeper AKA Foster Brooks.

17 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

woooosh

Stephen Harper = zero  experience = best PM ever

Tim Hudak = son of a Teacher and Principal = worked for Walmart as a  traveling Manager = Progressive  Conservative Leader = your vote

Mike Harris = ski instructor = Math teacher = golf course employee = politician = your vote

Patrick Brown = Politician at age 20 = Next Ontario Leader and your vote

I think you are wrong with your beliefs and will continue to vote Conservative in every election regardless of the candidates business experience.  Who are your local candidates?  lets look up their qualification

Wynne = stripped contracts = froze wages = exactly what you want from a Politician :dunno:

Fail, 

Lisa Raitt is my MP.

As for voting i will choose the candidate i feel will be best representing the citizens and taxpayers.  I voted Conservative provincally and federally.

Provincially The Conservatives policies make alot more sense to me as a private sector worker who is forced to pay more then what they should in taxes and bills due to the mismanagement of government policy and the continued handouts by government to public sector unions.  Look at E-Orange scandal, gas plants, hydro.  The costs we pay are outrageous.  While many government workers were up in arms when Hudak stated the gov sector needs cuts i supportted that.  And always will.  We cannot afford bloated pensions and payrolls.

Dont worry fail, Wynne will open the contracts for public sector to get the vote.  

As for Federally, trippling the deficit in one year with no financial plan is setting us up for huge financial ruin.  Here come more taxes for us middle class.  But you are happy as long as you can get a picture or two of Justin.

I vote for the person i believe will do the best for our country.  They may not be my ideal candidate but better in my mind then the alternative.  You on the other hand vote for one who will continue to give you the most money for the least work.

The only Tard with any real experience is the finance minister, I will give him that.  However, he like Justin is another trust fund boy, but unlike Justin built up a company from where it was, he did deplete it.  That and is wife is a member of the McCain family does not hurt.

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Fail, 

Lisa Raitt is my MP.

As for voting i will choose the candidate i feel will be best representing the citizens and taxpayers.  I voted Conservative provincally and federally.

Provincially The Conservatives policies make alot more sense to me as a private sector worker who is forced to pay more then what they should in taxes and bills due to the mismanagement of government policy and the continued handouts by government to public sector unions.  Look at E-Orange scandal, gas plants, hydro.  The costs we pay are outrageous.  While many government workers were up in arms when Hudak stated the gov sector needs cuts i supportted that.  And always will.  We cannot afford bloated pensions and payrolls.

Dont worry fail, Wynne will open the contracts for public sector to get the vote.  

As for Federally, trippling the deficit in one year with no financial plan is setting us up for huge financial ruin.  Here come more taxes for us middle class.  But you are happy as long as you can get a picture or two of Justin.

I vote for the person i believe will do the best for our country.  They may not be my ideal candidate but better in my mind then the alternative.  You on the other hand vote for one who will continue to give you the most money for the least work.

not sure why your attacking me :dunno:  you said you should only have business experience to be a politician,  yet you voted for ski instructors and a teacher :lol: and will vote for the career guy next time.  

on the Bold - I pay the same as you do  so you are not so special like you think you are

go back to your ranting and I will go back to reading

22 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

not sure why your attacking me :dunno:  you said you should only have business experience to be a politician,  yet you voted for ski instructors and a teacher :lol: and will vote for the career guy next time.  

on the Bold - I pay the same as you do  so you are not so special like you think you are

go back to your ranting and I will go back to reading

Fail... you may pay the same as the rest of us but government employees get paid more, produce less, have sweet heart pensions and benefits that the rest of the world can only dream of. Their unions hold the employer for ransom and the government gives in because they have nothing to lose. The employer just rips the taxpayer off even more than they already do. A private business has to care about their operating costs or go out of business.

Filling pot holes in Toronto by government workers takes 5 people and 2 trucks

- 1 supervisor - 1 guy to shovel the asphalt patch out of the truck - 1 guy to tamp the asphalt patch and 1 to drive the truck who never gets out

that's 4 people and since they all can't fit in one truck they need a 2nd truck to carry the 4th guy which means they need a 2nd driver who also never gets out of the truck

In business it would be 1 truck and 1 person.

Edited by 02sled

Fail i voted for Lisa Rait:

part of her bio.  Not sure where you get ski instructor or Teacher.

As i said they need real world experience.  I would say Lisa Raitt qualifies.

Raitt graduated from St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia with a bachelor of science degree. She went on to do a master's degree in chemistry, specializing in environmental biochemical toxicology, from the University of Guelph. Raitt possesses an LL.B from Osgoode Hall Law School, and was called to the Ontario bar in 1998. That year, she was granted a Dr. Harold G. Fox Scholarship.[8] As a result, she trained with barristers of the Middle Temple in LondonUnited Kingdom, which specialized in international trade, commerce, transportation and arbitration.

Toronto Port Authority (1999–2008)Edit

Main article: Toronto Port Authority

Raitt served as the TPA’s Corporate Secretary and General Counsel,[9][10] and harbourmaster from April 2001.[11] She was the first female harbourmaster of a Canadian port.[11]

As General Counsel for the TPA, she filed a $1 billion lawsuit over 600 acres (240 ha) of land that was transferred in the 1990s to the City of Toronto's Toronto Economic Development Corporation (TEDCO) by the Toronto Harbour Commission(THC).[12] The disputed lands, mostly the infill lands of the Don River delta, constituted around 85% of the THC's land assets as of the early 1990s. The lands had been transferred in two separate agreements, in 1991 and 1994 in exchange for a permanent subsidy for the THC. The TPA's legal claim was that the transfer had been done while the majority of directors of the THC were City-appointed, and who had acted in the City's interest and not in the Commission's fiduciary interest, and that the deals crippled the THC's ability to be self-sufficient by ending any potential revenues from those lands. Since the TPA was inheriting the role and activities of the THC, it was thus crippled itself.[13] The TPA and the City settled out of court in exchange for a promised bridge to the Island Airport across the Western Gap and approximately $50 million. The bridge was never built; instead a pedestrian tunnel under the Western Gap was constructed and completed on July 30, 2015.

In 2002, Raitt was appointed as president and chief executive officer of the Toronto Port Authority (TPA), a Canadian federal corporation that manages the Toronto Harbour as well as the Toronto City Centre Airport.[10] See relinquished the post of harbourmaster to Angus Armstrong in 2004.[14]

As CEO of the TPA, Raitt was responsible for building the International Marine Passenger Terminal, a Toronto home for the now-defunct Canadian American Transportation Systems, a Rochester, New York-based group. The ground was broken on 24 August 2004, and CATS operated for six months in 2005.[15] The Rochester firm that initially owned the ferry had a 14-year lease on the use of the terminal that would have paid the City of Toronto $250,000 per year.[15] [16] The terminal was reported to have cost $10.5 million to construct,[17] which makes a 0.33 cost recovery factor. The lease was terminated in December 2009 after payment of a $90,000 settlement. The terminal has seen little use since then except to dock cruise ships and as a movie set.[18]

46 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Fail i voted for Lisa Rait:

part of her bio.  Not sure where you get ski instructor or Teacher.

As i said they need real world experience.  I would say Lisa Raitt qualifies.

Raitt graduated from St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia with a bachelor of science degree. She went on to do a master's degree in chemistry, specializing in environmental biochemical toxicology, from the University of Guelph. Raitt possesses an LL.B from Osgoode Hall Law School, and was called to the Ontario bar in 1998. That year, she was granted a Dr. Harold G. Fox Scholarship.[8] As a result, she trained with barristers of the Middle Temple in LondonUnited Kingdom, which specialized in international trade, commerce, transportation and arbitration.

Toronto Port Authority (1999–2008)Edit

Main article: Toronto Port Authority

Raitt served as the TPA’s Corporate Secretary and General Counsel,[9][10] and harbourmaster from April 2001.[11] She was the first female harbourmaster of a Canadian port.[11]

As General Counsel for the TPA, she filed a $1 billion lawsuit over 600 acres (240 ha) of land that was transferred in the 1990s to the City of Toronto's Toronto Economic Development Corporation (TEDCO) by the Toronto Harbour Commission(THC).[12] The disputed lands, mostly the infill lands of the Don River delta, constituted around 85% of the THC's land assets as of the early 1990s. The lands had been transferred in two separate agreements, in 1991 and 1994 in exchange for a permanent subsidy for the THC. The TPA's legal claim was that the transfer had been done while the majority of directors of the THC were City-appointed, and who had acted in the City's interest and not in the Commission's fiduciary interest, and that the deals crippled the THC's ability to be self-sufficient by ending any potential revenues from those lands. Since the TPA was inheriting the role and activities of the THC, it was thus crippled itself.[13] The TPA and the City settled out of court in exchange for a promised bridge to the Island Airport across the Western Gap and approximately $50 million. The bridge was never built; instead a pedestrian tunnel under the Western Gap was constructed and completed on July 30, 2015.

In 2002, Raitt was appointed as president and chief executive officer of the Toronto Port Authority (TPA), a Canadian federal corporation that manages the Toronto Harbour as well as the Toronto City Centre Airport.[10] See relinquished the post of harbourmaster to Angus Armstrong in 2004.[14]

As CEO of the TPA, Raitt was responsible for building the International Marine Passenger Terminal, a Toronto home for the now-defunct Canadian American Transportation Systems, a Rochester, New York-based group. The ground was broken on 24 August 2004, and CATS operated for six months in 2005.[15] The Rochester firm that initially owned the ferry had a 14-year lease on the use of the terminal that would have paid the City of Toronto $250,000 per year.[15] [16] The terminal was reported to have cost $10.5 million to construct,[17] which makes a 0.33 cost recovery factor. The lease was terminated in December 2009 after payment of a $90,000 settlement. The terminal has seen little use since then except to dock cruise ships and as a movie set.[18]

A hell of a lot better qualified for a position of responsibility like an MP or Minister than a window washer 

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

A hell of a lot better qualified for a position of responsibility like an MP or Minister than a window washer 

Raitt comes across as someone you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of. Monsef has the personality & demeanor of a kindergarden teacher.

Back to Monsef , it appears she is now being investigated for citizenship fraud. Not only did she not know where she was born she also stated the wrong year. I do not expect much of an outcome as she will be investigated by the Lieberals.

44 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

Back to Monsef , it appears she is now being investigated for citizenship fraud. Not only did she not know where she was born she also stated the wrong year. I do not expect much of an outcome as she will be investigated by the Lieberals.

Of course...everyone else that has been stripped of citizenship and deported since Truedope came along will be considered fully justified even if they only made a spelling mistake on their citizenship but because this is 2016 and Truedope has to have his token female refugee window washer as a cabinet minister all will be forgiven. She may even get an even higher profile cabinet position out of it.

I sit here wondering why Monsef's story has not made a bigger splash among the Canadian Press. It has been covered in the L.A. Times as well as in Iran. I understand anything coming out of Iran is probably is state supplied  propaganda but they are at least publishing something. Any chance that the liberal friendly media at home are afraid to touch this one for fear of being accused of racism ?

13 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

I sit here wondering why Monsef's story has not made a bigger splash among the Canadian Press. It has been covered in the L.A. Times as well as in Iran. I understand anything coming out of Iran is probably is state supplied  propaganda but they are at least publishing something. Any chance that the liberal friendly media at home are afraid to touch this one for fear of being accused of racism ?

The local media were her cheerleaders & the MSM doesn't like saying anything bad about the Liberals. Other than Justine's appearance in Medicine Hat before the by-election (which all the networks covered) did you hear any results? No, it was like the by-election didn't happen.

The whole Monsef situation doesn't fit the narrative of change (from the bad old Conservatives) or "sunny ways". Other than seeing her on CHEX going on about her Red Pashmina campaign or some announcement about the New Canadians centre, most people didn't have a clue who she was. I've gotten ripped on the various Ptbo media Faceplant pages by some clown that owns a stand up paddle board business in the city. He says I shouldn't be so "negative" about her. When I asked if she was doing anything about the situation w/ GM possibly closing up shop in Oshawa, he posted what did that have to do w/ Ptbo. I showed him the survey that showed GM is the largest private sector employer in the Ptbo area. He shut up after that. Pretty much the rest of the employment are health care or education. GE is a small fraction of what it used to be.

I'm glad there are others on Faceplant that see problems w/ this scam. Oh the sheep will say, "Oh what does it matter? She didn't do what Del Mastro did..."

I had a chance meeting with one of MMs represenatavies in my local Municipal Office last week. She was operating the Rural Constituency Office and meeting with some of the local Welfare Mothers (we are over run in this town).She looked like a real good hand holder and very sympathetic to her clients and no more than twenty five years old. I almost asked  her where she was born but thought better of it .

42 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/monsef-urged-to-quit-liberal-cabinet-amid-claims-true-birthplace-has-been-known-for-quite-awhile

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2016/10/30/22678863.html

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/30/a-files-been-opened-on-monsef-sources-say

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/refugee-lawsuit-monsef-citizenship-1.3779491

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2016/09/28/maryam-monsef-controversy-highlights-absurd-citizenship-law-editorial.html

It has been covered by every major news source :dunno: and until a decision is made what else is there to cover?

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Didnt the MSM repeat the same old same old about Duffy during the election even though no new details were forthcoming?

Pt sounds like you moved to Apsley. Same thing w/ the welfare. Theres a county housing building here & they ship the neer do wells from Ptbo to it. Most of my friends that grew up here moved away to find work. Then you get asshats w/ a family (and no skills) moving here. Then they bitch that they cant find work.

5 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Duffy was in court and in this case the accused doesn't have a day in court or any say in the matter.  One person makes the decision on her, so no news story

Duffy had no say in the matter either.  He followed the rules of Senate and as i far as i know back in the Senate now.

Monsef on the other hand has lived a lie and from everything in media and stories she knew for along time but chose to hide it. Monesf deserves the boot same as all the others sent packing by Trudeau.  

http://kawarthanow.com/2015/02/03/monsef-to-seek-nomination/

Well-known local community activist Maryam Monsef will be seeking the nomination as the Liberal candidate for the federal Peterborough-Kawartha riding. 

Current federal Liberal candidate Cammie Jaquays issued a press release on Tuesday, February 3rd, to announce that she is withdrawing from the Liberal nomination race.

At the same time, Monsef also issued a press release indicating she plans to make an announcement on Wednesday, February 4th at 10 a.m. at Sam’s Deli about her “electoral intentions”.

Jaquays launched her campaign in July of 2014. She is withdrawing from the race and placing her support behind Monsef’s campaign.

“I support Maryam’s bid to seek the Liberal nomination because I believe she is the right choice to be our new M.P. and that she brings an excellent skillset that will contribute to a Liberal victory in the next election,” Jaquays states in her press release.

Fellow candidate Bob Hall issued a press release thanking Jaquays for her efforts.

“It must have been a difficult decision for Cammie,” Hall states. “She put enormous effort into the campaign over the past 10 months. Stepping forward to seek the nomination wasn’t a decision that was made lightly by any of the candidates who made that commitment almost a year ago to get ready for the next federal election.”

Jaquays’ campaign director joins Hall’s team

A press release issued by Hall’s campaign on Wednesday, February 4th announced that Jaquays’ campaign director, Mat Crough, has joined Hall’s team.

Crough is a long-time presenter on TVCogeco, working on shows such as Politically Speaking and on election coverage. He has been involved with many volunteer boards in the community.

“I’m proud to have the support of Mat,” Hall says. “Mat is a dedicated Liberal who brings his enthusiasm and experience to the team.”

Crough has worked on municipal, provincial and federal election campaigns. He’s currently a director of the Peterborough-Kawartha Federal Liberal Riding Association.

“Bob Hall has experience, skill and determination,” Crough says. “We need those characteristics to represent our community in Ottawa. Bob has what it takes to win and be our next MP.”

About Maryam Monsef

A relative newcomer to politics, 30-year-old Maryam Monsef ran for Mayor of Peterborough in the 2014 municipal election. Her mayoral campaign resonated with many citizens, and she was only narrowly defeated by incumbent Daryl Bennett.

Originally from Afghanistan, Monsef came to Canada when she was 11 years old, along with her widowed mother and her two sisters. Her mother decided to move her family from Afghanistan due to the repressive Taliban regime and they came to Peterborough as the family had relatives here.

Monsef grew up in Peterborough, where she attended Grove and James Strath Public Schools before entering the arts program at Peterborough Collegiate Vocational School. She went on to attend Trent University where she graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology. She’s worked at Fleming College, the Community Foundation of Greater Peterborough, and the New Canadians Centre, as well as Trent University.

Along with Jessica Melnik, she founded the Red Pashmina Campaign, in which proceeds from the sale of red pashminas are directed to advancing education and educational opportunities for Afghan women and their families. Both Monsef and Melnik received the 2013 YMCA Peace Medallion in recognition of the Red Pashmina Campaign.

Monsef also represented the Red Pashmina Campaign at the United Nation’s Commission on the Status of Women. She has sat on the boards of both the YWCA of Peterborough and Haliburton and the Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG).

Was there some backroom dealing to get her to quit? By who's standards would Monsef's experience would be considered an "excellent skillset"? I think her skillset consists of being female and her family's back story.

Edited by revrnd

It says she came here at 11 yrs old. How do you not know at 11 where you were born and where you came from regardless of what part of the world. You know the difference between countries. Now if she was maybe 4 at the time....

• Like 1