Check your account email address ×

Friend was on CBS Sunday Morning

ckf

5 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I saw that.  I was wondering if it was you CFK. :lol:

a lot of nice photos.  👍

I like to chase leaves, but it's an obsession with Jeff. He starts posting about the upcoming season in a private FB chat group that we are in before the trees even bud in the spring :lol:

Just now, Edmo said:

I didn’t see that story but I’ve heard about the guy. What a scenic area you guys live in. 

He used to write about the foliage for Yankee Magazine. Most of the images in the story were shot around the area in NH that I'm from.

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

I like to chase leaves, but it's an obsession with Jeff. He starts posting about the upcoming season in a private FB chat group that we are in before the trees even bud in the spring :lol:

Right.  He is a hardcore leaf chaser.  

Nice story.  I started watching the  Sunday Morning show about a year ago. I like it , not too political, with good human interests and musician  stories.  

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Nice story.  I started watching the  Sunday Morning show about a year ago. I like it , not too political, with good human interests and musician  stories.  

I've been watching it for a while now. I can remember when Charles Kuralt hosted the show :bc:

17 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Here's where it all started. On The Road with Charles Kuralt :bc:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ckf said:

A friend of mine was on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday discussing the Fall Foliage in New England.

That's cool!

16 minutes ago, ckf said:

I've been watching it for a while now. I can remember when Charles Kuralt hosted the show :bc:

I like these type of shows.  I used to watch them a lot more.  MN has some nice local shows like them too.  :bc:

• Like 1

I hate the leaf season.  For me it is a month of hard work.   Older I get the more I dread it.  Could of been killed yesterday.  Out blowing leaves yesterday, taking advantage of strong wind .  Walked around back of house to grab gas can .  When I came back big ass branch fell, ripping my cable out of house, laying right where I was standing.  

What a shitty way to go.  Maybe I start wearing helmet when leaf blowing. 

11 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Kewl...our leaves have been gone for 3 weeks now.

trees have been bare here for a few weeks too.

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

I hate the leaf season.  For me it is a month of hard work.   Older I get the more I dread it.  Could of been killed yesterday.  Out blowing leaves yesterday, taking advantage of strong wind .  Walked around back of house to grab gas can .  When I came back big ass branch fell, ripping my cable out of house, laying right where I was standing.  

What a shitty way to go.  Maybe I start wearing helmet when leaf blowing. 

I just mulch the leaves with the mower. We have a weed lawn, not a n ice seed lawn so it doesn't really matter. I tried doing so grass seed when we first moved here, but it doesn't last unless I want to keep it watered. Not worth it for us.

14 minutes ago, ckf said:

I just mulch the leaves with the mower. We have a weed lawn, not a n ice seed lawn so it doesn't really matter. I tried doing so grass seed when we first moved here, but it doesn't last unless I want to keep it watered. Not worth it for us.

Same, I install a mulcher plate in the chute and use Gator Blades, chops 'em to 1/2-3/4 inch, great mulch..I have 52 Maple trees and several Oaks in the Lawn area I cut.

i took 5 trailer loads of leaves to the dump yesterday prob have about the same left.  I got them all off the lawn just have the fence line in the woods to do.  lawn looking like a golf course right now didn't want leaves all piled up on it.  

19 minutes ago, ckf said:

Pretty much the same here.  Tried a nice lawn years ago and it went to hell.  Not spending my weekends trying to keep nice lawn.  So many moles now it is ridiculous. 

We live in woods surrounded by mature oaks .  If I don’t keep up with leaves it gets like snow.  Buried in them & way harder to manage.  

Just now, Cold War said:

Pretty much the same here.  Tried a nice lawn years ago and it went to hell.  Not spending my weekends trying to keep nice lawn.  So many moles now it is ridiculous. 

We live in woods surrounded by mature oaks .  If I don’t keep up with leaves it gets like snow.  Buried in them & way harder to manage.  

One of the things I've noticed around here is that there aren't any Oak Trees. Back in NH it was the Oak and Beach trees that held there leaves the longest. All that we have here are the Beach trees with a few brown leaves left.

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i took 5 trailer loads of leaves to the dump yesterday prob have about the same left.  I got them all off the lawn just have the fence line in the woods to do.  lawn looking like a golf course right now didn't want leaves all piled up on it.  

Blue tarps work good.  Blow the leaves on them, drag em out in woods.   When it gets really deep I use my tractor/ plow to push them out in woods.  

Just now, ckf said:

One of the things I've noticed around here is that there aren't any Oak Trees. Back in NH it was the Oak and Beach trees that held there leaves the longest. All that we have here are the Beach trees with a few brown leaves left.

Yup,  oak hold leaves the longest.  Need a good wind to bring them down.   Very destructive too if you don’t get them cleaned up , very acidic.  Stain everything & get in my fish pond. 

3 hours ago, Cold War said:

Yup,  oak hold leaves the longest.  Need a good wind to bring them down.   Very destructive too if you don’t get them cleaned up , very acidic.  Stain everything & get in my fish pond. 

The beach leaves hang too. It isn't uncommon to see beach leaves still on the trees during the winter while out for a snowmobile ride.

13 minutes ago, ckf said:

The beach leaves hang too. It isn't uncommon to see beach leaves still on the trees during the winter while out for a snowmobile ride.

Same with the Great Lakes. The water is still relatively warm compared to the air and has a moderating effect. 

21 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Same with the Great Lakes. The water is still relatively warm compared to the air and has a moderating effect. 

I don't think it's a temperature thing as much as the beach trees don't like to shed their leaves. We can see them still on trees when up over 3000' of elevation during the winter. It gets cold at that that altitude here in northern New England.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I don't think it's a temperature thing as much as the beach trees don't like to shed their leaves. We can see them still on trees when up over 3000' of elevation during the winter. It gets cold at that that altitude here in northern New England.

Did you mean beech trees? I completely misunderstood what you were saying. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Did you mean beech trees? I completely misunderstood what you were saying. :lol: 

Yes, Beech trees, not trees at the beach, LOL. Can't get every word right :lol:

• Haha 1

I been raking for weeks. We have a couple more weeks to go until all of the bastards are down. 

This is the way I do it. I use the mower to CORRAL in circular piles. We then shovel them onto my trailer, and dump them up back on the compost pile. 

Some people try to MULCH large amounts of leaves, but it is counter=productive. You end up going back and forth 20 times, wasting time and gas, when you could have shovelled them up and dumped them in a suitable place. You can mulch SMALL amounts of leaves, but large amounts don't work out. Also, leaves are not good for the lawn. 

I have leaf/lawn OCD, so this is very problematic for me.