Check your account email address ×

Hey NY guys

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

When ya buy a sled in NY do ya pay sales tax when ya buy it or when ya register it? Do non residents pay sales tax on sleds?

When you register it, I saw you were looking at an xcr..I know where there is a voodoo blue 18 800 rush xcr is you are looking

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

From private owner you pay the tax in the state you register the sled in.

IM looking at a dealer and my state dosnt have a sales tax. So Im assuming I wouldn't pay tax. But want to be sure before hoofing it out to NY to buy it. If I have to pay sales tax on it its not a deal.

IM looking at a dealer and my state dosnt have a sales tax. So Im assuming I wouldn't pay tax. But want to be sure before hoofing it out to NY to buy it. If I have to pay sales tax on it its not a deal.

Call the dealer, I'm sure they would know.

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

When sold to a non res do they collect it at dealer , or no tax is paid?

Tax is paid when it is registered, usually the dealer registers it right there for you, but I would think if your not riding in NY, it wouldn't need registered..I'll be at a few dealers today and I'll ask

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Tax is paid when it is registered, usually the dealer registers it right there for you, but I would think if your not riding in NY, it wouldn't need registered..I'll be at a few dealers today and I'll ask

Thanks. Can you PM me about the one you know of.

I bought my Sidewinder at Troy City Garage. They were nice enough to drive up to the Vermont border and 'deliver' it there (literally a turnout on the side of the road across the border.) All we paid was for the sled and the warrantee. We paid all taxes in Maine upon registration.

On 10/21/2018 at 10:46 PM, steve from amherst said:

The dealer can say he delivered it to NH. I have purchased sleds in Maine but they have a form for NH residents to sign so no tax is paid. 

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

The dealer can say he delivered it to NH. I have purchased sleds in Maine but they have a form for NH residents to sign so no tax is paid. 

Ive bought them in Maine and Mass and didn't pay sales tax. Sales manager I talked to in NY said I would have to pay it. Form slinger posted says if delivered outside of state.

Am I reading correctly that it would have to be delivered to me out of NY state?

I dunno tbh. I just came across this form when doing a search. At a minimum I’d call another dealer to get another answer. I’m surprised at this. I’ve bought cars from different states and only paid taxes in the state I resided

Just now, Snoslinger said:

I dunno tbh. I just came across this form when doing a search. At a minimum I’d call another dealer to get another answer. I’m surprised at this. I’ve bought cars from different states and only paid taxes in the state I resided

Im starting to wonder if she didn't really know and knew the sled would sell quick so couldn't be bothered with what she assumed would be an assache.