Check your account email address ×

What Trump doesn’t understand about trade and tariffs

5 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I'm not wading in to the wage increase debate as I don't know enough about it. 

That said the hackery here is like the old FS on steriods. I can only assume someone left the gate open and a throng of HCS goons snuck in. 

Aside from the left wing partisan fuck heads here I have been the most vocal Trump critic. I despise the orange retard. He is 100% in the right on his trade stance though and his economy is 1000x better than anything Obama saw in his wildest dreams. Those are facts

4 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I'm not wading in to the wage increase debate as I don't know enough about it. 

That said the hackery here is like the old FS on steriods. I can only assume someone left the gate open and a throng of HCS goons snuck in. 

Ben linked an AP article tecently that stated average wages in the US increased 2.8%, and thanked trump for it. It was like .1% better than previous years so ben blew a load. Whoever didn’t get at least a 2.8% wage increase each year over the last several decades is likely dumb or lazy. 

The hackery in here is off the charts compared to anything I’ve seen before. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Aside from the left wing partisan fuck heads here I have been the most vocal Trump critic. I despise the orange retard. He is 100% in the right on his trade stance though and his economy is 1000x better than anything Obama saw in his wildest dreams. Those are facts

his fixation on the trade deficit number shows his lack of understanding of international trade in general. That is the fact. 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Ignores all historical graphs showing trends, thanks trump for turning things around Jan 22 2017. Ben also has a touch of wolfie in him, maybe break bread together soon :lol:

• USA Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Hey Frenchy, could you imagine if I had touted a 2.8% wage increase, and thanked obama for it, back in 2015?

this is a good example of the stupidity and hackery in this place over the last 1.5 years

@frenchy

What kind of wage increases have you seen in the past 8 years?  What industry?

Where I am the typical increase has been 2-3%.  No bonus, 401K replaced the pension, high deductible healthcare plan.  Friends at similar businesses are seeing the same. 

I posed this scenario to the resident trumpsters and crickets.....

2017 US trade deficit - $570B

2009 US trade deficit -  $383B

using Trumpian logic 2009 economy was a better economy, correct? 

Edited by frenchy

16 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

What kind of wage increases have you seen in the past 8 years?  What industry?

Where I am the typical increase has been 2-3%.  No bonus, 401K replaced the pension, high deductible healthcare plan.  Friends at similar businesses are seeing the same. 

Ummmm, thanks for making my point. The average now is about the same as it always has been. I see on average, about 4% wage growth each year. Shitty imo, but I love what I do and it’s conveniently close. I could move to make more, same as it has always been, but I choose not to. I work in electronics manufacturing, always have

17 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I posed this scenario to the resident trumpsters and crickets.....

2017 US trade deficit - $570B

2009 US trade deficit -  $383B

using Trumpian logic 2009 economy was a better economy, correct? 

They think the corporations are missing out on that money, and that is hurting their wages.

Edited by Snoslinger

14 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

It’s almost like trump is purposely trying to fuck up our economy long term, pissboff our allies, etc

Wonder why he’d be doing that?

Our economy is pretty strong right now. Lets see where we are at in 2020 and then call it. :dunno:

• USA Contributing Member
58 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Ummmm, thanks for making my point. The average now is about the same as it always has been. I see on average, about 4% wage growth each year. Shitty imo, but I love what I do and it’s conveniently close. I could move to make more, same as it has always been, but I choose not to. I work in electronics manufacturing, always have

So your in the same industry I was in.  Company was Hamilton Standard (now UTC Aerospace), built flight control boxes for commercial and military aircraft.

The point is that wages are not going to go up after a year and a half, Trump has no say in that.  What he can do is go after the trade deficit and help keep manufacturing (especially electronics) from leaving. 

Another company I worked for closed due to electronic manufacturing moving to China. Small company, pay was low and still couldn't compete.  I would like to think if all things were fair in the world they would have stayed open and wages and would have been better. 

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

They think the corporations are missing out on that money, and that is hurting their wages.

lol over 60% of trump's proposed China tariffs will hit foreign owned companies operating in China. :lol: 

who is gonna pay for those tariffs? 

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

lol over 60% of trump's proposed China tariffs will hit foreign owned companies operating in China. :lol: 

China will bend or they will break....the end

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, frenchy said:

not to mention the fact he manufactures his cheesy clothing line in China. :lol: 

Getting more trade balance and a better deal doesn't mean everything needs to be made here.  It means some places need to make it easier for our products to be sold there without higher tariffs than we apply.  

Its absurd that another country be allowed to have higher tariffs on our goods than we put on theirs.  If on a more equal playing field then it stands to reason we would produce more but people need to get away from the narrative that its all about everything being produced here.   We can't produce all we consume in many markets much less for the world.

Fair trade doesn't mean isolationism.  

rww logic...

company ABC in shithole country XYZ makes widgets, costing 1$ apiece to make. workers at ABC make $2 a day, barely enough to eat. widgets are shipped to US, where ALOT of people (because we are a huge country) buy them at $100 apiece. the workers and other citizens of country XYZ have low buying power, because of low wages and poverty. they cant afford to buy much, so less imports come in.this creates a trade imbalance, and the trumpsters, sitting in their nice homes, driving nice cars, eating good food, thinks country xyz and their workers is fucking them over. then to top it off, they think that knocking $100 of a US good, via tariff relief, is going to cause the workers in country XYZ to suddenly demand more US goods, thereby putting more money in their pockets.

fucking unreal.

3 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Foreign owned?   Only way to be there is for them to own 51% minimum.  

Just now, Highmark said:

Getting more trade balance and a better deal doesn't mean everything needs to be made here.  It means some places need to make it easier for our products to be sold there without higher tariffs than we apply.  

Its absurd that another country be allowed to have higher tariffs on our goods than we put on theirs.  If on a more equal playing field then it stands to reason we would produce more but people need to get away from the narrative that its all about everything being produced here.   We can't produce all we consume in many markets much less for the world.

Bingo, which makes trump's fixation on the trade deficit asinine. 

Just now, Highmark said:

exhibit A

jesus, the anger towards us alone are going to damage those numbers. 

Just now, frenchy said:

Bingo, which makes trump's fixation on the trade deficit asinine. 

I'll admit he is wording it to get the most impact with voters but he often does recite its about fairness and countries buying more of our products with equal tariffs.  

Just now, frenchy said:

now you're playing semantics. 

I'm playing semantics that China requires their govt to own 51% or more of anything done there?   I'd hardly call that semantics.   I call that the truth and furthers the big picture.   Do we require that of them here?