Check your account email address ×

Car week on History

Awesome stuff. Watching hot rods and muscle car now.. watched a show earlier on the demise of the big 3 after the gas crisis and how they needed to step shit up. Forgot John Delorean was behind the GTO  ,and remember Lee Iacocca saving Chrysler with the mini van . Neat show

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, xcr700 said:

Awesome stuff. Watching hot rods and muscle car now.. watched a show earlier on the demise of the big 3 after the gas crisis and how they needed to step shit up. Forgot John Delorean was behind the GTO  ,and remember Lee Iacocca saving Chrysler with the mini van . Neat show

That sounds good...I'll watch it on On Demand.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Yeah, I watched it with my son, we both thought it was cool, should be some good stuff on the rest of the week too

• Like 1

interesting show let younger crowd in on what happened back then with some of todays iconic cars.on the other hand the horsepower leads to idiotic driving street racing.I did same back then but the traffic was a small portion of todays.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xcr700 said:

Wasn’t Delorean also behind sneaking the 455HD out behind GM’s back?

30 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I'm not sure . But I seriously wouldn't doubt it. They portrayed GM like Hiltler lol. Treated John Delorean like total shit....according to the show 

4 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Yup, plus he told the upper brass at G.M. to fuck off and got the 400 C.I. Pontiac engines into the GTO / Lemans / Tempest  when they had a industry ban on engines over 400 C. I. 's in everything  but three ton rolling land yachts.  Rumor is but unconfirmed , that John D. also had a big hand push for Oldsmobile to have the 455 C.I. 442's and the often way underrated low production  Hemi  killer , Buick 455 GSX back in the day. He also had a big hand into the redesigned  Corvairs  from 1966 - till end of production.

6 hours ago, anorkist said:

interesting show let younger crowd in on what happened back then with some of todays iconic cars.on the other hand the horsepower leads to idiotic driving street racing.I did same back then but the traffic was a small portion of todays.

Going to have to start recruiting some younger generation or the hobby is going to die.  I feel like a kid when I’m at the shows.  Another 10 -15 years a lot of these guys are going to be dying off. 

22 hours ago, xcr700 said:

That show is awesome. I saw it before fore but watched it again over the weekend. Really interesting stuff hearing what went on behind the scenes. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

He was one of my wife's patients and I spoke to him a few times. He was a generally affable old guy. Liked to tell stories of the old days. Can't believe he's dead 13 years already. :bc:

2 hours ago, Rw06GT said:

He was one of my wife's patients and I spoke to him a few times. He was a generally affable old guy. Liked to tell stories of the old days. Can't believe he's dead 13 years already. :bc:

We did some work in the executive offices back in the 90’s. Got to know a few of the higher ups at GM. We got invited to hang out at their box at the tigers game a few times. Those guys knew how to party. And most of them had smoking hot young secretaries they were boning on the side. 

14 hours ago, hwytohell said:

Yup, plus he told the upper brass at G.M. to fuck off and got the 400 C.I. Pontiac engines into the GTO / Lemans / Tempest  when they had a industry ban on engines over 400 C. I. 's in everything  but three ton rolling land yachts.  Rumor is but unconfirmed , that John D. also had a big hand push for Oldsmobile to have the 455 C.I. 442's and the often way underrated low production  Hemi  killer , Buick 455 GSX back in the day. He also had a big hand into the redesigned  Corvairs  from 1966 - till end of production.

Yeah GM had lots of HP limits and CI limits on all their brands so their top brands could be the biggest and best 

corporate made them cancel the RA V Pontiac’s too which were going to be nuts. They were pretty pissed off when he snuck out the super duty. Supposedly even other manufacturers were going to corporate GM about it complaining lol