Check your account email address ×

One Simple Chart Shows Why An Energy Revolution Is Coming - And Who Is Likely To Come Out On Top

One Simple Chart Shows Why An Energy Revolution Is Coming - And Who Is Likely To Come Out On Top

The cost of producing solar power is rapidly declining: it now costs $50 to produce one megawatt-hour of solar power, according to a new analysis. 

Coal, on the other hand, costs $102 per megawatt-hour to produce. 

This recent change could be a sign that the world is on the verge of an energy revolution. 

The cost of solar power is decreasing so rapidly, it's now cheaper than coal, based on a new analysis. 

A recent report from Lazard shows how the costs of producing electricity from various sources are changing. Energy from utility-scale solar plants — plants that produce electricity that feeds into the grid — has seen the biggest price drop: an 86% decrease since 2009. 

The cost of producing one megawatt-hour of electricity — a standard way to measure electricity production — is now around $50 for solar power, according to Lazard's math. The cost of producing one megawatt-hour of electricity from coal, by comparison, is $102 — more than double the cost of solar. 

content-1525882951-the-dramatic-change-is-clear-in-this-chart.jpg

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/one-simple-chart-shows-why-an-energy-revolution-is-coming-and-who-is-likely-to-come-out-on-top/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Another propaganda piece.  FFS.

Progress, yes I know that word scares you........but you just can't stop smart people from coming up with ways to make things and life better.

MIT Technology Review

Hot Solar Cells

By converting heat to focused beams of light, a new solar device could create cheap and continuous power.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603497/10-breakthrough-technologies-2017-hot-solar-cells/

28 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Progress, yes I know that word scares you........but you just can't stop smart people from coming up with ways to make things and life better.

There is a difference between creating cheap energy and forcing other energy sources costs to go up via legislation and regulation.

29 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

There ya go!

Just now, racer254 said:

There is a difference between creating cheap energy and forcing other energy sources costs to go up via legislation and regulation.

When it involves clean air and water...fuck yes.

Just now, Mainecat said:

When it involves clean air and water...fuck yes.

And an agenda that will surely help themselves in the pocketbook under the guise of "clean air and water".  Of course then fuck yes.  LOL.

4 minutes ago, racer254 said:

And an agenda that will surely help themselves in the pocketbook under the guise of "clean air and water".  Of course then fuck yes.  LOL.

Do you think big oil and gas can operate without environmental regulations?

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Amazing stuff......I like the second from the left

when are you and your big mouth going to invest in this?

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Amazing stuff......I like the second from the left

Me too.   I'm sure more styles will be out by the time I need it.

Only thing that sucks is I lose my Geo Rate but this will more than make up for it.

5 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Probably when it makes economic sense like most other people

so then never.. because that will NEVER happen. at least not while im alive.. but hey have at it. Its a feely good thing for liberals.. kinda  like a prius...

6 minutes ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

so then never.. because that will NEVER happen. at least not while im alive.. but hey have at it. Its a feely good thing for liberals.. kinda  like a prius...

Are you planning on dying in the next 10 years?

10 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Are you planning on dying in the next 10 years?

so show me where it says in 10 years it will be cheap.

You clowns have been saying this for 20+ years.

It will not be cheap. I don't care what you claim

1 minute ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

so show me where it says in 10 years it will be cheap.

You clowns have been saying this for 20+ years.

It will not be cheap. I don't care what you claim

You should change your screen name back to DOPO