Check your account email address ×

Well Shocking

Guessing there are a few guys on this forum with private wells.

Anyway slowly moving into my new place and noticed a slight odor to the water after I turned the pumps on.  Slight sulfur smell but not terrible.  No animals in the area (cattle or horses) up hill from my place until 1 mile away or 2.  I'm gathering its from the water sitting for around a month before I took possession.  Reading up on the procedure itself it seems pretty simple.  For those that have done it, would it beneficial for a septic/water guy to do the first shock or would you tackle it yourself right off the bat?

Make sure you bypass the softener or any other filters that might be in your water system and be sure to remove all faucet screens, then pour a gallon of bleach down the well head, then go and run water at every faucet and hose bib at your house until you spell the chlorine. Now at this point your whole plumbing system should have sanitized water sitting in it so the next move is open up one of the hose bibs outside and let the water run for 4-8 hours to clear all the chlorine from the water source, after that open the faucets in the house and let them run until the flow doesn't smell of chlorine. 

Do expect that the initial water coming out of the faucets post chlorination will be a nasty black from the chlorine cleaning out your pipes, this will all clear after a minute or so.

12 hours ago, Sludgey said:

Jug of bleach down the well, run the water for a while 

even with a carbon filter after the pressure tank?

7 hours ago, smokin george said:

We put a carbon tank in. Solved the smell

have one.  deals with the majority of the smell.  i think its in the hot water only.  can't smell anything in the cold. 

7 hours ago, Boered said:

You may have sjlpur in the water source and no amount of bleach will solve that. Did you not have the well water tested before the deal?

It was tested and passed provincial standards.  I haven't been staying there yet so the water doesnt get run daily.  still moving stuff in and been working tons lately.

3 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

have one.  deals with the majority of the smell.  i think its in the hot water only.  can't smell anything in the cold. 

It was tested and passed provincial standards.  I haven't been staying there yet so the water doesnt get run daily.  still moving stuff in and been working tons lately.

How old is the hot water tank they can get heavily deposited with hard water :dunno: 

57 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Ours was more pungent with the hot water. We added the carbon tank, the smell went away after 2-3 days. The existing hot water tanks days are numbered. We already installed an electric tank (40 gal)  for showers,hot water and are installing a boiler for the radiant system.