Check your account email address ×

Vermont Senate passes historic gun reform bill, Governor Scott plans on signing it into law

ckf

12 minutes ago, ckf said:

Because it's the law. We all know that everyone abides by the law, especially criminals :lol:

But we have to do something!!!!!!!!1111

Idiots.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:42 AM, Mainecat said:

If it prevents 1 school shooting it’s worth it.

SMH

the pussy liberal mantra for everything-  if it saves just 1 live,  heres a fact-  every life has a value,  spending hundreds of millions for an insignificant decrease in death rates is crazy.  

Just now, Mainecat said:

Until it hits home.

Removing emotion from decision like these is the right things to do.  TBH we have plenty of gun laws already that can be enforced we really don't need more but education of gun owners is not a bad think IMO

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Removing emotion from decision like these is the right things to do.  TBH we have plenty of gun laws already that can be enforced we really don't need more but education of gun owners is not a bad think IMO

Gun safety is my only want in the gun argument anD maybe a national permit so I can carry everywhere in our country that’s covered by the second amendment. 6000 state laws are total bullshit.

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Gun safety is my only want in the gun argument anD maybe a national permit so I can carry everywhere in our country that’s covered by the second amendment. 6000 state laws are total bullshit.

It seems that you've changed your tune a bit? Depending on what you mean by gun safety, I am in agreement...

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

National ID card with gun endorsement after you pass training applicable to 50 state carry FTW.  use it to cross borders,  buy guys,  vote etc :snack:  

There is a company (I don't recall the name) compiled the list and requirements of 4 states that with carry permits cover reciprocity to the 48 lower. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

There is a company (I don't recall the name) compiled the list and requirements of 4 states that with carry permits cover reciprocity to the 48 lower. 

That's incorrect. For starters lower 48 dosnt mean much as Alaska is a constitutional carry state already. Massachusetts dosnt recognize any other state . Neither do much hardcore libs states. NY, NJ , Maryland , ect. 

A NH res license does get you about 24 states. I believe Utah has the highest rate of reciprocation.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

8 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

That's incorrect. For starters lower 48 dosnt mean much as Alaska is a constitutional carry state already. Massachusetts dosnt recognize any other state . Neither do much hardcore libs states. NY, NJ , Maryland , ect. 

A NH res license does get you about 24 states. I believe Utah has the highest rate of reciprocation.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Didn't see where the states you listed don't recognize any other? From your article Mass will still issue non-residents, and is recognized by other states. So if Massachusetts was one of the 4, it could still be done. I'm not saying you're wrong, I never looked into it. Seems that you took some time to look into it though. This was maybe 4 years ago I had heard about it (from a good friend that's a partner in a lucrative ffl gun shop). 

6 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

It seems that you've changed your tune a bit? Depending on what you mean by gun safety, I am in agreement...

Never changed my tune. I have always been a gun safety advocate.

I am sure you like myself won’t hunt with just anyone because they just don’t get the safety issue. Out of 5 friends growing up I would only hunt with 3 of them. Too many muzzle swings in my direction, not unloading in the vehicle, too many shots behind etc.

What I mean is that every gun owner be required to take a safety course and have a renewal course every 5 years.

25 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Didn't see where the states you listed don't recognize any other? From your article Mass will still issue non-residents, and is recognized by other states. So if Massachusetts was one of the 4, it could still be done. I'm not saying you're wrong, I never looked into it. Seems that you took some time to look into it though. This was maybe 4 years ago I had heard about it (from a good friend that's a partner in a lucrative ffl gun shop). 

I live in NH on the border of Mass. I cannot carry into Mass without a Mass permit period.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

National ID card with gun endorsement after you pass training applicable to 50 state carry FTW.  use it to cross borders,  buy guys,  vote etc :snack:  

Fuuuuuuck that

17 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I live in NH on the border of Mass. I cannot carry into Mass without a Mass permit period.

Correct. Did you read the previous posts regarding the permit comment?

20 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Never changed my tune. I have always been a gun safety advocate.

I am sure you like myself won’t hunt with just anyone because they just don’t get the safety issue. Out of 5 friends growing up I would only hunt with 3 of them. Too many muzzle swings in my direction, not unloading in the vehicle, too many shots behind etc.

What I mean is that every gun owner be required to take a safety course and have a renewal course every 5 years.

I agree, firearm safety. I guess the way I was brought up, this is just common sense muscle memory, day to day SOP.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Correct. Did you read the previous posts regarding the permit comment?

I agree, firearm safety. I guess the way I was brought up, this is just common sense muscle memory, day to day SOP.

No alcohol before and during a hunt. No exceptions.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:35 PM, ckf said:

I just don't understand how we can ask an 18 year old to defend our country, but don't want to allow them to buy a firearm at the same age :confused:

Well, then dissolve the fuckin military

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have been reading here locally, even though he is going against his core supporters, he is expected to be re-elected by a wide margin in November.

Scott to sign gun bills this week as gun rights groups seethe

Gov. Phil Scott is set to sign a trio of gun bills into law on Wednesday, less than two months after the arrest of a teenager allegedly plotting to shoot up a Vermont high school inspired him to publicly reverse his position on gun control.

Having previously said he felt there was no need for new gun legislation, Scott said a thwarted shooting in Fair Haven opened his eyes to the threat facing Vermont’s children, and his own responsibility to protect them.

The governor’s office said he will sign the three bills in a ceremony with administration members, legislators and victims’ right advocates, capping what he has said is the first step in an ongoing response to the issue.

The bills include two that expand police powers to seize guns when responding to domestic violence and other “extreme risk” situations. Another bill includes a series of more controversial gun control provisions, including a ban on high-capacity magazine that has proven particularly controversial.

The Republican governor has said he is well aware that he has disappointed many of his supporters with his support for the bill, but he felt compelled to pursue all options in protecting Vermonters against gun violence.

The measures include broadening background checks required for the purchase of firearms, and increasing the minimum age for gun purchases. The governor also has ordered a review of security at schools around the state, and he has launched a campaign to raise public awareness of the importance of reporting suspicious behavior.

The ban on high-capacity gun magazines is contained in S.55, the most ambitious of the three bills. That bill has inspired a series of protests by gun rights groups.

Shortly after Scott announced this week’s bill signing, Bill Moore of the Vermont Traditions Coalition sent out an email calling for protests at the Statehouse on Wednesday.

“We need you to be there to remind ALL the Representatives and Senators that supported this travesty that we will not forget this betrayal,” the email says, advising people to wear orange, bring their loved ones, and “stand politely and peacefully at the scene while this Governor strips you of your rights!”

The day after the Senate passed S.55, gun rights groups handed out free gun magazines on the Statehouse lawn in protest of the bill, and to start raising money for a legal challenge against it.

Chris Bradley, president of the Vermont Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, declined to discuss the specifics of a legal challenge but said he expected the state’s gun rights groups to work together as they seek to overturn the law.

While a number of gun rights supporters have warned that Scott will lose their votes if he signs the bills, Bradley said that Scott also stood to gain support from gun control advocates.

“It’s very difficult not to look as this as political and planned,” he said of the governor’s change in position on gun laws, noting that catering to liberal voters could play well in his upcoming campaign for re-election.

“Being seen as a pro-gun person could be seen as baggage for someone looking to win over voters on the left,” Bradley said.

Scott’s chief of staff, Jason Gibbs, said politics didn’t play a part in Scott’s U-turn on gun legislation.

“The politics were not a factor in the decision-making process,” he said in an interview on Thursday. “After the governor decided to move forward with the conversation on gun safety and violence reduction, we did spend time thinking about how to build as broad and diverse a coalition as we could.”

Gibbs said that bills S.221 and H.422, the gun seizure bills the governor is signing this week, found a common ground between gun rights and gun control advocates. But when it came to S.55, he said, “that is not the case.”