Check your account email address ×

Olympics

• Platinum Contributing Member

Watching the men's race yesterday and the exact same thing happened to the Polish rider....all alone in front with a sizable lead and a group of 3 riders were able to catch and pass him at the end.  

5 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Mara Abbot got screwed by her teammates. The three that chased her down had a huge advantage. The weather screwed her on the downhill she wasn't able to extend her lead 

What happened to her teammates....couldn't hang with her? 

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

What happened to her teammates....couldn't hang with her? 

They fell off when they started the last big climb. They had three right there and they left her. The girl that won had a teammate with here for the bulk of the climb. That girl was leading and fell. Then the three that medaled worked as a team to catch Abbot. Abbot was also hurt by the girl. Crashing as they. Could have worked together 

2 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

They fell off when they started the last big climb. They had three right there and they left her. The girl that won had a teammate with here for the bulk of the climb. That girl was leading and fell. Then the three that medaled worked as a team to catch Abbot. Abbot was also hurt by the girl. Crashing as they. Could have worked together 

In that situation what is Abbot supposed to do....slow her climb so they can hang with her and I watched the group of three run her down...she had no chance.

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Canada just kicked the US men's volleyball team ass.

Word is the Dutch biker is in stable condition in the hospital, pretty woman for sure :bc: 

1470604849151.jpg

And like all of  those women very courageous.....those descents as we obviously saw are damn dangerous.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

And like all of  those women very courageous.....those descents as we obviously saw are damn dangerous.

That curbing was brutally dangerous, on that downhill. Many spoke out about the course being dangerous.

Olympic broadcaster NBC described the route, which has riders climb roughly 11,800 feet in total, as "harrowing," "brutal," "slick" and "jarring." Even many of the cyclists preparing to attempt it seemed a bit uneasy with the route "It's the hardest course I've seen in a single-day race," American rider Megan Guarnier told NBC.

While speaking to reporters in Rio ahead of the race, New Zealand professional road racing cyclist George Bennett seemed to still be in a bit of disbelief about the dangers of the course. "I'm really surprised that someone signed off on a course this hard," he said. "It blows my mind. It's going to devastate the field and there's not going to be so many finishes I don't think."

Despite the dangers of the course — and Bennett lists quite a few — the New Zealander was excited to race on the adrenaline-pumping route. "It's everything I like," he said. "It's hectic, it's crazy downhills, it's really, really dangerous (in) a lot of the places. All the corners push you out and there's these pretty walled-off curbs and things the whole way down. Slippery roads, a bit of oil, things like that. It's definitely got a lot of dangers and some you're aware of that could send you home early but at the same time I like the chaos, I like the climbs, I like the downhills."

But are the perils and spills seen along Rio's road race just something that comes along with competing at the Olympic level? Probably not. "I think it's a course that we've never seen before and probably won't see again for a long time," Bennett said.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/177207-for-cyclists-in-rio-the-road-to-gold-may-be-a-tad-too-dangerous