Check your account email address ×

2018 Yamaha Sidewinder L-TX LE First Ride Impressions

• Platinum Contributing Member

Put about 150 miles on my Sidewinder on Friday.   Overall I was extremely impressed.   No question a different type of sled than the 2 strokes and not everyone will enjoy this type of sled.   I got on the Doo 6.9 pilots and 192 studs as well as the Hurricane Flash Programmer which is simple and provides some unreal performance.   Steering and control was excellent and while you can "feel" the extra weight the light steering does not make one feel tired by days end.   We ran into a variety of conditions and on the good trails this sleds fun factor is off the charts.   As a puddle jumper not so much.  :lol:   Although I never buried it in any hole its inability to quickly pick the front end up made some of them interesting.   

Power in the upper flashes 260-280 is simply fucking incredible.   Good running 800's are like they are standing still once the boost comes on. (As it should be considering the power difference).  Its hard to understand how fast it pulls away until you actually see it.   Overall I'd say I will really enjoy this sled for the types of riding I will do on it.  

Pro's

Power

Handling was a bit of a surprise.   

Hook up.   This had good and bad.  Comes out flat and hard with minimal spin but I prefer a bit more lift in the front end.  We only were doing rolling starts from about 30.    

Con's

Cold (hand seat and thumb warmers quit working after about 75 miles.) Go figure cat parts.  

Clutch noise.   Annoying as fuck.

Weight transfer (soft front and rear and fairly stiff center with coupler blocks removed and still couldn't lift ski's much.)  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Put about 150 miles on my Sidewinder on Friday.   Overall I was extremely impressed.   No question a different type of sled than the 2 strokes and not everyone will enjoy this type of sled.   I got on the Doo 6.9 pilots and 192 studs as well as the Hurricane Flash Programmer which is simple and provides some unreal performance.   Steering and control was excellent and while you can "feel" the extra weight the light steering does not make one feel tired by days end.   We ran into a variety of conditions and on the good trails this sleds fun factor is off the charts.   As a puddle jumper not so much.  :lol:   Although I never buried it in any hole its inability to quickly pick the front end up made some of them interesting.   

Power in the upper flashes 260-280 is simply fucking incredible.   Good running 800's are like they are standing still once the boost comes on. (As it should be considering the power difference).  Its hard to understand how fast it pulls away until you actually see it.   Overall I'd say I will really enjoy this sled for the types of riding I will do on it.  

Pro's

Power

Hook up.   This had good and bad.  Comes out flat and hard with minimal spin but I prefer a bit more lift in the front end.  We only were doing rolling starts from about 30.    

Con's

Cold (hand seat and thumb warmers quit working after about 75 miles.) Go figure cat parts.  

Weight transfer (soft front and rear and fairly stiff center with coupler blocks removed and still couldn't lift ski's much.)  

Watch the chaincase close.  I heard the power was pretty harsh for it.

Just now, Zambroski said:

I wonder what Yammi has in those...or are they cat "innards"?

@Highmark ?

I would guess Cat.  

No question if you are going to jump a sled from 200 to 260+ HP you are destine for a few side affects.  Trust me its well worth it.  :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

i cant stand sleds that dont transfer weight well. its probably one of the funnest things about the axys 

Yeah, our "little" Indy 800 is a blast to ride partially because of this and the way I have it set up.  The 137's will lose a bit of light front end no matter what.   My brothers 144 Assault lifts about the perfect amount the way he has it set.  

With this power I don't think one would want more than about a foot of lift if even that much.   The acceleration would make it too uncontrollable.  

Edited by Highmark

14 minutes ago, Rw06GT said:

I'm looking at making my own stops to get more movement before coupling and not hit the rear wheels and moving the lower pivot forward.   Rear is too stiff in soft and I'm not a little guy.  

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yeah, our "little" Indy 800 is a blast to ride partially because of this and the way I have it set up.  The 137's will lose a bit of light front end no matter what.   My brothers 144 Assault lifts about the perfect amount the way he has it set.  

With this power I don't think one would want more than about a foot of lift.   The acceleration would make it too uncontrollable.  

Exactly.....that was the battle with the bigger power 1200's.....keeping the skis down at all. You couldnt even roll on the throttle at 16lbs boost and have the skis stay planted. Pretty much needed to be aimed in the right direction if you wanted to get into the boost :lol: 

The great part about the polaris is it will cat walk if you get back on it and give it a pull......but if you move up on the seat it will stay planted. Its really nice , too bad they dont put a nice turbo 4s in it. I would buy one tomorrow. As it is I am thinking about being done with 2s again for a while. I miss the 4s engines 

I'd love to show horn a zook 1100 in the new assault chassis lolz....that would be sweet 

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I would guess Cat.  

No question if you are going to jump a sled from 200 to 260+ HP you are destine for a few side affects.  Trust me its well worth it.  :thumbsup:

Do you do all your own mods or do you have a speedshop help you out (advice and stuff)?  I know a top hitter or two that race these beasts.  They're all stupid with these damn things....but fuck!  They sure as hell know their shit!  :bc:

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Exactly.....that was the battle with the bigger power 1200's.....keeping the skis down at all. You couldnt even roll on the throttle at 16lbs boost and have the skis stay planted. Pretty much needed to be aimed in the right direction if you wanted to get into the boost :lol: 

The great part about the polaris is it will cat walk if you get back on it and give it a pull......but if you move up on the seat it will stay planted. Its really nice , too bad they dont put a nice turbo 4s in it. I would buy one tomorrow. As it is I am thinking about being done with 2s again for a while. I miss the 4s engines 

I'd love to show horn a zook 1100 in the new assault chassis lolz....that would be sweet 

I agree that the poo chassis might be the best on the market.   No question I'd buy a Poo if they would get a turbo or SC 4 Stroke in it.  

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Do you do all your own mods or do you have a speedshop help you out (advice and stuff)?  I know a top hitter or two that race these beasts.  They're all stupid with these damn things....but fuck!  They sure as hell know their shit!  :bc:

I do all my own work but I buy from the Shops.   Too time consuming and expensive to clutch from scratch anymore.   I've got drawers of clutch parts from when I use to do that.   I got a pretty high knowledge of CVT's as I work with them on products we produce.  Start with research online, talk to the shops then make a decision and tweak from there.   The key is especially with clutching/chassis set up is knowing what or how you want the sled to perform but then having the knowledge or as I call it butt dyno to know the tweaks are getting you to where you want.   Single changes at a time and consistent test area are KEY to making improvements.    I'm not as die hard as I used to be on the test and tune but I'm getting back into it somewhat.   Use to do a ton of local radar runs but now only do a few.  

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I do all my own work but I buy from the Shops.   Too time consuming and expensive to clutch from scratch anymore.   I've got drawers of clutch parts from when I use to do that.   I got a pretty high knowledge of CVT's as I work with them on products we produce.  Start with research online, talk to the shops then make a decision and tweak from there.   The key is especially with clutching/chassis set up is knowing what or how you want the sled to perform but then having the knowledge or as I call it butt dyno to know the tweaks are getting you to where you want.   Single changes at a time and consistent test area are KEY to making improvements.    

I do all my own stuff too.  A bit of advice here and there and time to grab the wrenches!  :bc:

22 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I would guess Cat.  

Hyvo gears and chain. The 2strokes are powdered metal and hyvo chain I believe.

If I were you I'd switch to a 22 tooth up top. They are backordered at the moment though.

Just now, Zambroski said:

I do all my own stuff too.  A bit of advice here and there and time to grab the wrenches!  :bc:

Yeah too many guys buy a clutch kit and its off by a couple hundred rpm and don't change anything.   I'm fanatical about my full shift RPM and how it gets there being correct.  Today's sled's have great powerbands so its not nearly as critical as it use to be.  

Just now, Rw06GT said:

If I were you I'd switch to a 22 tooth up top. They are backordered at the moment though.

Unless I'm going to RR this sled I'll stick with the 21.   I want it as snappy as possible up to 100-110.   I'm really not into long lake pulls of 120+.  

3 minutes ago, Rw06GT said:

Yeah, gotta go with a race model on the 2's unless you want the "powdered metal"  :lmao:

Mine are Borg Warner.

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yeah too many guys buy a clutch kit and its off by a couple hundred rpm and don't change anything.   I'm fanatical about my full shift RPM and how it gets there being correct.  Today's sled's have great powerbands so its not nearly as critical as it use to be.  

Most sledders don't know much about clutching or suspension.  And most don't neet to.  But just a little bit of knowledge and a bit of mechanical proficiency on both and that sled turns into a whole different machine.  But, to each their own I guess.  Most these sleds come pretty well set up from the factory for 90% of riders anyway.

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

Pro's

Power

Con's

Glad you like it Highmark....enjoy. Nothing like boost.